Author Topic: Thief template question...  (Read 5462 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Thief template question...
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:49:54 AM »
Whats a good one?

120 Stealth (85 real + items)
100 Hiding

120 Stealing (90 + items)
100 Snooping

115 Magery

That leaves me with 230 points.

I'm thinking some Ninjitsu for smoke bombs and forms...

XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Thief template question...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:05:05 AM »
Spawn thief? Yew Gate thief? Doom/Tokuno thief? All would be a little different.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:11:56 AM »
All around, spawn especially, and yew gate. More of an annoyance thief and a scroll stealer.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:51:45 AM »
You absolutely want Ninjitsu then. I run with 100 however being able to get into Wolf form reliably would be better (120 if you can).

I also like to run with Detect Hidden and Tracking as most spawn guilds hide the protector somewhere in the spawn area on a secondary account while the primary account is busy with the spawn. The easiest scrolls are typically gotten by finding a hidden/stealthed protector; there is always that couple of moments between the time the scrolls drop and the time they switch over to the protector account - this is your thief's "prime rib" of opportunity :P Balance the tracking out with other skill needs, you don't need 100 to be effective, it just takes a few tries the lower you are. It is nice to have it high though because if you are running around trying to Track you won't know if you're failing or if there really is nobody there.

Furthermore, EVERYONE has stealth archers nowadays and it is handy to know where they are at all times. I also find most spawn guilds have a character spamming Detect in key areas of the spawn, e.g. hidden on the Island in Despise. This is obviously an attempt at curbing the effectiveness of other stealthers. Not much you can do here but max out Stealth/Hiding, wear only leather and cloth, and make your thief an elf.

I've said this before but I'll mention it again, I've been having fun recently with Necro/Spirit Speak as well. Throw protection on and spam wither in wraith form for the first level or two of the spawn then just hang around waiting for the items to drop in your pack when the spawners kill the champ not realizing they aren't the only ones that did damage to earlier levels of the spawn. This is obviously tough to fit in and still get your best griefing chances but can be worth it.

As few points in Stealth/Stealing/Snooping as possible. There are plenty of items to help get you up there. You really don't need 120 stealing to steal powerscrolls, etc but throw Burglars Bandana and Shadow Dancers on your suit and you already have +10 Snooping, +30 Stealing, and +30 Stealth. Midnight Bracers gets you some Necro oomph and you can augment much further with jewelry and a Talisman.

I think the choice of 115 Magery isn't too bad if you plan on casting EV's otherwise it might be a waste. I like to cast Invis reliably and stop there.

Make sure you carry Total Refresh pots!

I better get back to work, I'm having too much fun...

X

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:42 AM »
It's my support char, but I'm thinking of using soul stones so I have a multi-char....

Currently:

Skill / Base / Max
120 / 85 / 120 Stealth
115 / 115 / 115 Magery
100 / 100 / 100 Hiding
100 / 100 / 110 Music
100 / 100 / 115 Peace
80 / 80 / 110 Animal Lore
80 / 80 / 110 Vet
60 / 60 / 110 Med
30 / 00 / 120 Stealing
10 / 00 / 100 Snooping
00 / 00 / 110 Ninjitsu

All the 110 were from leftover scrolls at spawns. I'll stone off Music/Peace/Lore/Vet and then fill in Stealing/Snooping/Ninjitsu... tracking and detect... Spread those points out for me and let me know what you think would be the best template... mostly scroll stealer.

It's always fun playing with other people's chars :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:20:17 AM by Cerveza »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:13 AM »
Something like this could give some good success:

120 Ninjitsu - Wolf form, smoke bombs, shadow jump. Can go less and stay with Ostard form, say 100
90(85?) Stealth + Shadow Dancers, Burglar's Bandana = 120. Other items?
80 Stealing + Shadow Dancers, Burglar's Bandana = 110. Stealing is only used at the grand finale so the more items you can use the more points you can put in useful skills. 120 really won't give you more benefit over 110 or even 100 when stealing scrolls.
90 Snooping + Burglars Bandana = 100
100 Tracking - keep on top of those other stealthers!
50 Detect - is ok to fail a couple times when you find those other stealthers! Is not ok to fail looking for them (Tracking)
100 Magery - again, unless you want EV's a lot. Invis is all you really need TBH.
100 Hiding - Obviously.

I think this is 730, you need to adjust a bit. Throw a jewel set in there with EP, LRC, and +Stealing/Magery and you have a winner. LRC is a tough one on this but is certainly possible. Gloves and neck get you to 60, throw AoF on there or +20 LRC tunic and sleeves or something if you don't have it on the jewels.

X

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:11:31 AM »
90(85?) Stealth + Shadow Dancers, Burglar's Bandana = 120. Other items?
+5 Cloak.

Sounds good, I like tossing out EV's at champs, thats the 115 Magery. I'll play with the numbers, see what I can do.

40 Necro would be nice for wraith form, walk through people without the message.

Offline unatesta

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • unatesta has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »
It was already mentioned before. Templates, there are many for a thief. For Champs I do like to have a wrest on my thief. Reason for this being that nowdays there are many people that are 2-key pvpers and as soon as u disarm paralize, they feel lost! So i get enough time to steal a good scroll, run, transform and hide. rinse and repeat if they are still around.
The other place that i like for "hunting" people after finishing champs is the star room. In the shard where i play, they all go to luna so u have another chance just when they are about to hit the gate, u steal another ps and they are already gone.
Last but not least ;) I follow this guys in hiding, some times they are too complacient and they go to public houses in malas (trammel rules) and just put the ps on the ground. they cannot kill me so u can guess the rest...

good luck with ur thief!

cheers

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »
So I have been reading this thread and I was wondering if anything has changed.

I plan on

90 stealth     (plus blessed burglers and cursed shadow dancer legs)
90 steal         (plus blessed burglers and cursed shadow dancer legs)
90 snoop       (plus blessed burglers )
100 hiding
110 mage
50 Ninja          (at least)
100 resist       (for those times with no armor)
100 spell weaving

any thoughts (on siege)

Tags: