Author Topic: Event pathfind crashes.  (Read 3558 times)

Scrripty

Event pathfind crashes.
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm looking for any and all help locating all crashes relating to event pathfind.  If you have code that can crash your client using event pathfind EVERY TIME, I'd like to see it.  Most of the crashes I've seen involve cursors and event pathfind, and using event pathfind too fast, but if you have run into crashes yourself and can crash the client with it effectively every time, I'd like to see it.  Maybe we can swap code or I'll let you in on some pathfinding goodness. :)  So post up some code and lets see what you got.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Event pathfind crashes.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
I would have to say that ive never crashed on an event pathfind.  Didnt know you could.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »
As far as just an individual script crashing, I doubt it can be done, but two scripts can achievecrashing consistently, just run a rail and bm's looter
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
As far as just an individual script crashing, I doubt it can be done, but two scripts can achievecrashing consistently, just run a rail and bm's looter

But isnt that the packet based drag drop crashing not the pathfinding ?
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Scrripty

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »

But isnt that the packet based drag drop crashing not the pathfinding ?

I'm more talking about with 2 scripts.  Moving and drag/dropping can cause a crash tho.  That's well documented.  I'm more concerned with 2 script interaction.  I know that targets while event pathfinding can cause it.  Like when you provoke with a bard and are holding a cursor and do a bunch of pathfinds over and over while trying to target.  I have minimized the crashes with a slight timer, but there's some interaction there, either with a target, or with an event macro of some sort, like event macro 17, that's causing crashes.  Not sure what it is.  This might be a better private discussion actually.  When I get it figured out, it's on. :)  I'm getting an occasional instant client closure, and the only things that could be causing it are pathfinding, and event macro 17, a couple other things that you normally do while running a script also.  I'm sure manw can confirm.  I'm going to try some namespace interaction to pause for a split second while those actions are happening to see if I can narrow it down a bit.  But I really don't WANT to do it that way.  If I have to tho, I have to.  A slight pause in pathfinding wouldn't be a horrible thing, especially with the way I'm doing it now.  Would probly be the way to go actually.  Just set my pathfinding loop to stop pathfinding for a split second while certain actions are going.  I'm sure you guys see what I'm saying.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »
could check cursor  dont move while targcurs=1 or whatever.

Scrripty

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
could check cursor  dont move while targcurs=1 or whatever.

My pathfinds happen every 50-100 ms depending on how many characters I'm running, and what's happening at the time.  But usually that fast per char.  I have a FAST loop that swaps between characters and when their "pathfind time" is up, it checks to see if they're ready to move again, so it's pretty much CONSTANTLY pathfinding.  Is a namespace copy with a check for #targcurs going to be fast enough?  Like if I'm in a sub that brings up a target, and I copy a variable to the pathfind namespace and check that, will it be near instantaneous wait for the targcurs to be 0?  As long as I stop the pathfinds DURING certain actions, I think it should be ok.  I'll have to check it out and see.  Even if I dropped the double actions by 50 percent, that would go a long way to stopping more crashes either way I'm sure.  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Scrripty

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
I'm actually a little leary of doing it this way, but I have to do something because one crash an hour, is one crash too many for me. :)  Also, the times I'm crashing are in HEAVY spawn when a LOT of things are happening really fast, and that's where the root of the problem lies.  Lots of actions with lots of pathfinds.  No dragging tho.  It's all event macros and a target cursor or two here and there.  Mostly when I'm barding.  I gotta break down and redo that barding portion anyways, it's so outdated now. :)

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
I'd say it was a successfull test and then some.  Not a single crash since adding it.  All I added was a namespace copy to copy the variable from the script performing all the actions to the script that pathfinds and have it return from the pathfinding sub if the variable is #true.  So it skips any chars pathfinding if the "dont move while action being performed" variable is #true.  There is a noticeable slow down tho while following.  I'll need to go through and optimize which "actions" actually need to be paused and which dont.  Currently I do them ALL.  Attacking/barding/eating/drinking, everything.  That's a LOT of checks to that variable while performing actions so its stuttering my following.  It looks like it made everything else just "work" a bit better while moving tho also.  Because now things like healing and such aren't happening at the same time as pathfinds on characters.  Just seems a bit more "smooth."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
Thats very clever!

Offline b@ndito

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • b@ndito has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »
i had crash problems on pthfinds too and didn't think the target cursor was the problem, i'm going to check my script soon!

also really nice "failsafe" Twinkle McNugget, you gave me some good ideas on how to handle unattended events in my scripts.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:39:10 AM by b@ndito »

Tags: