Author Topic: Have you ever done this....  (Read 8592 times)

Offline GrandewdTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Grandewd has no influence.
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Have you ever done this....
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »
Have you ever looked at the same very long script, day after day - looking for ways to make it quicker....  And then, all of a sudden it dawns on you   :)  - that you're wasting time doing something that you didn't need to do - and that you could take 40% off without doing that intermediate completely unnecessary step????

Well I can tell you I'm a happy camper, since I diagnosed my own bad habits... 

Anyway,  I figure this forum needs some misc bs every now and then.... So, that's my dose.....

Don't say I didn't do my part..................  :D

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Have you ever done this....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »
But now I'm curious...  What did you do and then undo?  :)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
Have you ever looked at the same very long script, day after day - looking for ways to make it quicker....  And then, all of a sudden it dawns on you   :)  - that you're wasting time doing something that you didn't need to do - and that you could take 40% off without doing that intermediate completely unnecessary step????

Anyway,  I figure this forum needs some misc bs every now and then.... So, that's my dose.....

Depending on design of your code. If you have a pretty good design, you wont waste hours\days for looking and could replace parts easily for research and testing purposes.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

Depending on design of your code. If you have a pretty good design, you wont waste hours\days for looking and could replace parts easily for research and testing purposes.

If you mean being "modular", most of it is subs to begin with.
I just realized that I didn't need a couple of them.... :-[

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
But now I'm curious...  What did you do and then undo?  :)

TM... it's so stupid, I'd be embarrassed to say what the steps were that I removed.
Besides, if I tell you here - it's a record of my mental lapse for all eternity.... hehehehehe

I'll PM it to you.......... :-[

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Come on  tell us,  i'm dieying to know, because I often do the same misstake until other point then out to me.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
Come on  tell us,  i'm dieying to know, because I often do the same misstake until other point then out to me.
Ok, I suppose it's not fair to leave you hanging..... If I told you that it involved over 200 Battle Chicken Lizards, would you still want to know?    ???

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
Do we have any forum titles for this unlawfull amount of teasing?
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
Now I definitely want to know.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
Going to kill now with all that teasing.  I'm on the road with bad internet, that event worse.  don't matter how many chicken.  tell us plx

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
I'm still amazed at the massive amount of chickens and the necessary devotion and care!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
Ok you guys....  I suppose you all deserve to know what I was referring to, since I've had lots of help from most of you over the years...
Here's the PM I sent to TM:

Hey TM.....
I couldn't let you hang like that, it just wouldn't be fair - given all the help you've been to me all these years, both here and thru your great scripts/subs....
So here goes.......

I have a script that makes the feeding/egg collecting of 200 Battle Chicken Lizards "doable" every day..........

About now you're probably thinking I've gone over the deep end - by just HAVING 200 BCL's - but it was one of those challanges that I decided to undertake...
One of the "issues" with raising BCL's is that they all need to be fed daily with an entire bale of hay (which weighs 10 stones), which means that 200 BCL's take 2000 stones of hay daily.

In my old age (almost 70 now), I was moving hay bales (25 at a time) from the storage bags to my backpack to feed the birds.  Really stupid.... I simply realized that there was no reason to do this at all, and now that it's dawned on me that I can feed them directly from the storage bags, I don't have that time consuming step involved in the transfers... 

So, now you know why I didn't want a record for eternity  :-\ of my absentmindedness.......    ;)

Here's a pic of my project.....
 ;)

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
didn't know that siege have a market for egg.   It wasn't anything stupid you did, was just lack of knowledge.  UO is full of little short cut that we can't all know.  That wasn't current knowledge for me.  thx.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
I get all kinds of fun PMs.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: