Author Topic: Fisherman Template Question  (Read 15013 times)

Offline KaliOfLSTopic starter

• That's "Dr." Kali to you!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • KaliOfLS has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Fisherman Template Question
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »
+1
So, all this high seas talk and fisherman stuff seems interesting.  One aspect of UO that I never got into was fishing back in the day.  The only reason I traveled the seas of brittania was to gain skill with 8x8.   

Anyway, been looking around the net and here and it seems that any template really can crush what you need for fishing.  Except this thing called a scalis, who I fought once on the coast of bucs den with about 15 other people and took hours to beat.  So minus that thing, what about leviathan?  I figure if I can't take him with my template, I can always bring my legendary tamer or sampire along for the ride. 

With that being said, what about this template?  My fisherman is absolutely just created new for the most part.  He is a gargoyle and maybe this is a probelm?  I planed on putting mysticism on him since I haven't tried it out, and also toyed around with throwing but going to opt to not do that.  I think I'll make another thrower since I have some characters that are.. unfortunately boring as hell now and never played.  Like my traditional thief.  Side note, any thing fun to do with him anymore?  Seems since insurance, they're not much fun.  Plus people always seem to know I am stealthing around champ spawns and trying to catch a 120 of anything of value at a spawn from someone is almost impossible to get away with.  Anyway I digress.   

The template I am looking at is:
120 Fishing
120 Myst
100 Mage
100 Eval
100 Focus
100 Med
100 Resist

(20 coming from gear)

However, it may be prudent to drop mysticism and just make them two characters... Something I can put imbuing on or a mystic thrower or something. 
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 
^ real life signature for sure

Offline lamar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • lamar has no influence.
  • Respect: +4
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherman Template Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »
+1
a fisher only need 2 skills , fishing and magery, 
mindblast is enough to kill serps and water ellies, but ofc, adding eval speeds the killing up using e-bolts and reptile slayerbook, max sdi aswell and you can kill serps in one spell

what i did, was i used my fisher to train up my imbuing, as you get tons of stuff you dont want in the chests to unravel

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »
+1
My 2 fisherman

120 Fishing
100 Magery
100Eval
100 Med
100 Focus

120 Fishing
110 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Heal
100 Chiv

With a slayer bow, spellbook, or tali, anything else is overkill and even those templates are uber high power for what you fish up getting MIB's and doing the SOS.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:52:08 AM »
+1
It all depend how hard you want to work.   Wait, we are at SUO.

The template I use:
120 Fishing ( 120 is just to get those special pie fish)
120 Tailor
100 tinker
100 Mining
100 Med
100 magery
80 Eval +20 Jew

Since I didn't have any use for the reward Vollem I decise to give one to my fisherman.   For me it was the best move,  he kill any monster in sight for me.
Cheers

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:03:54 AM »
+1
I have multiple fishermen on several shards.

I pushed one of them to 120 fishing to take in the new content and promptly gave him stealth/hiding/ninjitsu to run around as a llama at full speed to get to the dungeon fishing spots. I then realized I preferred fishing with 100 skill, not 120 skill.

Why? a less cluttered pack(only 4 stacks of fish happen if you don't get the fishing expansion) and I don't cook or do the fish quests. Why not? Because I make more gold just fishing than cooking or doing quests.

I tested that too, I set one fisherman to do nothing but fish while I ran around questing on the other, and later cooking on yet another, and each time the fisherman doing the straight fishing came out ahead gold wise.

On my OSI server the crabs and special fish don't sell quickly and don't pay well enough to justify the time getting them, I make more just straight fishing.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »
+1
Nice to know.  I fish only for the white pearl.  I use to cut the fish and now just decide to kept the fish at my house just incase I decide to do quest of want a brit ship :)

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
+1
A pretty basic resource gathering template might look like
- 120 fishing
- 120 mining
- 120 lumberjack
- 120 magery
- 120 eval
- 120 meditation

That way you can send him out to collect any of the main resources without needing to use up more than one character slot. Stuff like cooking for the pies or other skills to help any of the above, like hiding/stealth or cartography or (insert support skill here) sound great but in reality you only need ONE of those on the account. If you run multiple accounts you don't need to duplicate support skills, just send the materials over to one character to cook/craft/dig up etc.

I fish for the pearls too, they sell quickly.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
+1
120 Lumberjack and mining ?
What shard  ya playing

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »
+1
err, yeah, 100 on each of those, sry! I never did understand why there is a spot in the power scroll book for mining/lj.

Also, the template runs even better with only 40 med and 100 in something else... but what else?

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 05:50:37 AM »
+1
Well I know I like having 100 or 120 spirit speak and fishing in wraith form

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 07:01:18 AM »
+1
Never fished in wraith form :)

What's the benefit?

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »
+1
I normally don't have any med or focus so in wraith form you recover all your mana when you kill a serpent (1 ebolt with a snake slayer spellbook equipped). Also if you use Trail's Fully automated fisherman, it has SS built in for healing.

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 07:30:09 AM »
+1
ahh, nice. Do you have mana regen on your suit just in case? Does that even work while in wraith form? I haven't played a necro mage seriously since 1999 or so. Don't you need SS and necro skill to be effective? I only have 100 skill points to play with in my current template.

I was messing around with my gear and found that a snake killer talisman works like a slayer spellbook but the damage STACKS on top of the slayer damage so with gm magery/eval, a slayer spellbook and a 100% killer talisman you hit the 300% cap without any other gear.

edit: scratch that, while it works(tested on orcs) I cannot find a snake/reptile talisman, may not exist.

That's significant if you're making a gatherer/fishing set of gear, you may as well start with the 4 piece cleanup point fishing set that gives a 50% increase to bait strength, it can be imbued.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:22:28 AM by Gemviper »

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »
+1
My fishing armor is just a crap 100 lrc suit - no mana regen no lmc not even any resists to speak
it does have self repair on all pieces.
I run 120 resist with +35 resist on jewels
My snake slayer spellbook has fcr 2
I am human so I have +20 necro (required to keep you in form) from JOAT
I cast wraith form using a scroll
Mana regen does work fine in wraith form.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »
+1
my suit has retarded resists, 100 lrc, and all the pieces I wear has repair on in it... since I kill serpents with one EB he doesn't need that many resists anyways... took me forever to figure out why the script stopped running for me.. thank TM for adding in an armor durability check....

Tags: