Author Topic: Is it ok to post a old script from EasyUO that is unsupported?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline CanukerTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Is it ok to post a old script from EasyUO that is unsupported?
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
I have a old script that I am sure is still on those boards but I want to ask some advise on modding it do something different. I'm far from a expert on doing such but just want to see if I am on the correct path.  Is this cool?
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Scrripty

Re: Is it ok to post a old script from EasyUO that is unsupported?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:45:26 PM »
It's generally a bad idea to post someones code in whole from anywhere without their permission.  Posting a snippet that needs editing is fine tho I'm sure. 

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »
We typically try like hell to get some contact with the previous author.  If it was once posted on EUO or the author has an account there, we've had the potential new author contact the original author via PMs at EUO.  Then the original author can contact me there (Miffy) for the OKs.

Otherwise, we enforce the "If you didn't write it, don't post it." approach.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
I shall try and send him a PM and see if I have some luck.  Thanks for the replies.  I think I can figure it out but I don't want to hack job this rather clean looking set up, if ya know what I mean.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:08:38 AM »
Links are always accepted. If you make minor changes, like gump size or click locations to bring a script up to the current client you can post those changes here and link to the original script.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Post up the name of the script.  For all you know, TM wrote it...

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.6%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »
Hell all my old scripts are Trails (and a lot of my new ones)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
Script Name: The Lightning Striker
; Author: ProFF7.

All I want to do is change the last line at the end after it triggers Lighting Strike to then wait 5 seconds then AI, wait 5 and back to LS.  I seemed to get it to work but not as smooth as I wanted, I'm sure that I am just typing in something wrong.  I added a wait 5 after the then the event macro for primary weapon.  I think I just need to review it again and it should work just fine....it's annoying to come onto the site after scripting has been out for so many years and mooch such simple information.  Sorry to be such a leech  :-[

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
If there's questions you'd like to ask about parts of the script, then feel free to fire away.  Trust me, that's not mooching.  Take a look at the heartwood quester thread to see what true mooching is all about.  hehe

All we were making sure of is you don't post the whole script, but you're welcome to ask questions and solicit advice from the members here.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Script Name: The Lightning Striker
; Author: ProFF7.

All I want to do is change the last line at the end after it triggers Lighting Strike to then wait 5 seconds then AI, wait 5 and back to LS.  I seemed to get it to work but not as smooth as I wanted, I'm sure that I am just typing in something wrong.  I added a wait 5 after the then the event macro for primary weapon.  I think I just need to review it again and it should work just fine....it's annoying to come onto the site after scripting has been out for so many years and mooch such simple information.  Sorry to be such a leech  :-[

You're doing great trying to edit it yourself.  My advice is read about waits and such on easyuo.com in the documentation, no one can get it to work for you as good as you can.  If you can edit them yourself it's always best/easiest.  It's WAY easier than you think. 

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
If there's questions you'd like to ask about parts of the script, then feel free to fire away.  Trust me, that's not mooching.  Take a look at the heartwood quester thread to see what true mooching is all about.  hehe

All we were making sure of is you don't post the whole script, but you're welcome to ask questions and solicit advice from the members here.

I remember the old HW quester from the days of winuo or what ever sorrowmasters(hackyourlife?) site was.  I just feel bad when I think about how long I've been a member of some of the boards and it shocks me that I know so little...anyways I've had a good go at changing it to do something else I wanted which has lead me down a good path.  Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, it's greatly appreciated. 

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »
The quester is a good example of an abandoned script getting new life.  The original Sorrowmaster script needed some love greatly, so Cerveza chose that HW script to bring into the modern day.  But for a script to "live", it must breathe.  We just gave it breath.

But dive in here and engage with the masses.  In no time, you'll get caught up with the rest of us silly scripters.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: