Author Topic: Building Mage Suit - Where Has All The Info Gone ??  (Read 6337 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Building Mage Suit - Where Has All The Info Gone ??
« on: October 10, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
I'm finishing off the skills for my new mage as I type this and the next step will be to put his suit together. When I do that I like to know the damage formula's, caps etc before I plunk down millions for parts. I didn't realize how little information is out there, or how much mis(and missing) information there is.

I looked all over uo.com and did not find a single thing about how damage is calculated and the formula's for modifiers(items, skills, bonuses etc). I did find a couple of pages with conflicting data on other sites, most of it pre-2012 so possibly outdated. There also doesn't seem to be a centralized location with a list of available artifacts to use as a base to build the suit around. I found lots of sites with partial information, no idea if they are updated so a lot is probably missing? Even OSI gives you a list of new artifacts but doesn't tell you their stats in their recent blog post.

The lack of info is insane, you can't even find a basic list of what the total caps are for each type of attribute on gear. I found knuckleheads which seams like a great source - http://www.knuckleheads.dk/imbuecalc.php but I want to

You'd think that at least imbuing would be covered on UO.com but it's not, at least not very well. No wonder so many people walk around with uber items that are actually useless because they go past caps etc. I think the only OFFICIAL information about damage calculation is a few years old now.

The only piece I am absolutely sure about is a Scrapper's Compendium with reptile slaying on it for fishing, lol. Google is not much help either, they show formulas from free shards that don't match OSI servers... where is all the good info stashed away nowadays?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:15:14 AM by Gemviper »

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Building Mage Suit - Where Has All The Info Gone ??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
Thx for asking with a well written question.

In PvM you can have lot of damage on.  You have you DI, SDI, slayer, the Honor.  All those can add up to a max of 300%.   

Now with the ledangary items it easy to make some nice suit.   To upgrade a suit, u need that have one or two base items ( Major or Ledangery) are good for that.  and after u imbuing the rest.   I can have an suit with 100 LRC, 10 MR, 40 LMC, 80 SDI. and  125 STR , 150-180 mana.   U need to do some hunting first.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
SDI has no bearing on the 300% Damage Increase cap, I don't believe Honor does either. I have got some GREAT links to various Stratics threads with excellent Damage Increase detail but since you're asking about Mage suits I'm assuming you don't want those links here.

FYI - uo.com has NEVER been a good source of information for the workings of UO, that would make FAR too much sense :) Either hit Stratics or UOGuide for most of the formulas you need.

What, exactly, are you trying to find out?

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »

base spell damage is determined by the Spell Casted, your Eval Int, and your Intelligence. Don't know exact numbers just the higher the better.

Spell Damage increase is a direct multiplier of your Base Spell Damage

Final Damage = (base Spell Damage) * ( 1 + %SDI/100 )

There is no Cap on Spell Damage Increase in Pvm

Then you can stack a slayer on top of your sdi. Slayers are counted as Damage Modifiers. (Capped at 300%)

Regular Slayer = 300% (Triples your final base damage) 
Super Slayer = 200% (Doubles your Final Base Damage)

Evil Omen is also SUPER Nice on pvm templates when you max out your Spell damage increase. You take your Final Damage (Sdi and Slayer)
and multiply it by 1.25 for the next spell cast. This is insane for WOD and Flamestrikes against weak fire monsters.

In pvp you have two separate Caps based on your template. 30% For Pure Mages, and 15% For mixed mages.

To be a pure mage You can only have Skills from one of these combinations above 30.0 in order to have a 30% Cap
Magery + Eval
Necromancy + Spirit Speak
Mysticism + Focus
Spellweaving
Ninjitsu
Bushido
Chivalry

So for instance if you had 120 Mage and 120 Eval, but you had 30.1 focus, you would not be considered a pure mage and would lose the 30% Sdi cap.

Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
OK, I just deleted the post I had here because it wasn't constructive enough, lets get specific for an example.

I decided on a final template for a fisher/t-hunter mage that will handle lvl 1-5 tmaps+fishing and has 100 resist on soulstone if needed. I do plan to push the envelope a bit and try lvl 6 tmaps and various other badies with him, he'll be off on another server alone so I want his suit as strong as possible in case. Not having mysticism or necro means that I don't want to lose damage potential from what I DO have due to ignorance :)

- 120 Magery(Already ate a 120 magery scroll)
- 100 Eval
- 100 Med
- 100 Fishing(no high seas on this account(my main account has that)
- 100 Carto
- 100 Lockpick
- 100 inscription(for the damage and to make compendiums, books, scrolls etc)

He's coming along nicely, should be done in 3 days. But wait, apparently I would do more damage with 120 eval and 100 magery - http://stratics.com/threads/does-having-gm-or-higher-evaluate-intelligence-provide-any-additional-bonuses.325071/

So I will also give him a 120 Eval scroll and now must decide if I lower something to 80(meditation) or I add 20 skill of something to gear. The difference between 100 eval and 120 eval is a straight up 18% extra damage bonus, that's worth more than the smallish amount of mana regen I will lose and well worth it.

OK, but wait... before I can accept that and buy gear I need to know if that extra 18% damage from eval will stack with other things, or will it push past a cap of some sort. Also, simply adding 10 skill to a ring and 10 to a bracelet sounds fine, gives more room for higher intensities on the other properties right? Again, wait, an item like "Compassion's Eye" gives more SDI than any ring I could imbue with that(imbue cap 12?) or ring from loot (18 SDI cap?). The Compassion's Eye means no skill on the ring and since cap skill on a bracelet is 15 I can no longer reach 20 skill from items without getting it elsewhere... so you see why knowing how all of the formulas work becomes important? I haven't even added a single piece of gear and I'm already having to make decisions.

Not only that but the eye of compassion doesn't show up on a lot of item lists that give bonuses(example: http://www.uoguide.com/Skill_Bonuses) so I suspect there are others. I really like Compassion's Eye not only for the 20% SDI but the 20% LRC meas I can prop up other stuff on other items and this is a PvM toon so the 250 luck is nice. The rest is regeneration which I consider secondary to damage modifiers so those will have to come from somewhere... is there a better ring or do I go the crafting route for a better option?

Get's complicated right? So, I need all of the formulas before I can really do anything, just a 120 eval scroll is 9M on my server so mistakes get expensive fast. Also, I want to get it right for the template since I will likely repeat it on the other shards I occasionally play on. Any and all help, including links to anything related that you find useful, appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:17:32 PM by Gemviper »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »

**edit** I sound like I'm complaining, that's not it, I seriously just want to know where to look up the info.

So be sure if you find something, or have something laying around that's not copyrighted, then post it here.  Part of the reason why I've kept this site going for as long as I have now is to have a place that's not going to disappear tomorrow and can be a repository for information that otherwise becomes lost forever.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »
Ditto, lol TM you posted that while I was replacing the content of my previous post with something(hopefully) more constructive. I'm starting to think that the current system in game is somewhat balanced because everyone messes up some part of their suit or template  :o

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 02:28:35 AM »
You definitely want 120 Eval if you are going to be doing damage with your magery spells.

I think this is still relevant

http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/spelldamage.php

Personally I use
Sdi 18 Ring (Imbued, 1/3, Dci )
Sdi 18 Brace (Imbued Fcr 3, Lmc, lrc, Dci )
Midnight Bracers
Cloak of Death (I think new robe has sdi, so will use that when i get one)
LT Sash
Kelp Woven Leggings
Wizard Crystal Glasses
Protector of the Battle Mage
Hephaestus
Rangers Cloak of Augmentation
Wizard's Curio

And 2 Legendary/major artifacts. (Preferably metal, but Medable)

Typically they are the
int
Mana
Mr
Lmc
Lrc
Bookoo Resists

Then enhance one with copper the other with valorite.

Gets you 85% Spell Damage increase, with your book slot still open. Usually it hits 45 dci, 18 Mana Regen, 40 Lmc, 100 lrc, etc etc etc. Seems to be the most "Balanced" High SDI suit.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:40:34 AM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:31:13 AM by Gemviper »

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »
I use the hephaestus for the faster casting 1 and lmc 8
Monkeys and Typewriters!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
RE: the calculations on the link you shared
Eval. Int. Bonus: ((EvalInt * 3) / 100) + 1
Intelligence Bonus: (INT / 10) (Drop decimals from result)
GM Inscription Bonus: 10% Damage Bonus
Spell Damage Increase: Int. Bonus + Inscr. Bonus + Spell Damage Increase Items*
Total Damage: (Base Damage * Eval. Int. Bonus) * ((Spell Damage Increase / 100) + 1) (Drop decimals from result)

*Mind Blast damage: Base Damage + ((Magery + Intelligence) / 5) (Drop decimals from result)

Assuming that's accurate, and I can't find anything either way to prove it is or isn't, working through it gives you some clues as to common mistakes. Lets run the numbers using an ebolt as example, base damage 12-13.4

- eval int at 100% = 4.0 bonus, at 120% = 4.6 bonus and using the total damage formula above that more than quadruples spell damage all by itself because it is multiplied directly against base damage, no brainer, you need eval to do decent damage.

- Intelligence 100 = a 10.0 bonus. Using the total damage formula above that results in 10 SDI straight up. If you have no inscr bonus or other SDI items that translates into a 1.1 for the SDI side of the total damage formula or with 120 eval a rise from 55 ebolt damage to 60, or about a 5 hit increase per ebolt, or around 8 with 150 intel. Compared to eval bonus int bonus is tiny.

- GM Scribe 10% = an increase in ebolt base damage from 12 to 13.2. After the effects of 120 eval kick in that's an increase from 55 damage to 60 damage, or about the same as having 100 intel. Also not a huge amount.

- 85% SDI - if you put that much on your suit, which is a lot, the formula above would turn a 55 damage ebolt(magery + 120 eval) into a 102 damage ebolt before you include the int bonus and inscription bonus, this is significant.

- Slayer weapon bonus, doubles the damage vs its slayer type but WHAT damage, the total? The base damage before modifiers? I suspect it straight up doubles damage total so it's worth using unless there are a lot of the types of monsters that you will become weaker to around(slayers make you weak to their opposites).

So to recap: If you are doing damage then eval is a must preferably to 120 and after that prioritize with SDI > 10 int = 20 inscription. That means going with SDI on items before int and knowing that 1% SDI = 10 int = 20 inscription.

If I have anything wrong in there feel free to point it out, also I have no idea what the real caps are in game. 150 is cap int, SDI has no cap in PvM and the total bonus possible from all sources not including eval is 300% base damage? If so a normal 55 damage ebolt can not do more than 165 damage after the bonuses are applied... and I have no idea if slayer can make that 330 or not(thief is my main, not mage).

Also, no amount of bonus is going to do any damage if you don't hit the target, How much HCI does a 120 mage need on say.... a peerless boss? Hmm, or is a tamer required for those... so much to learn.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:10:40 PM by Gemviper »

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
I use the hephaestus for the faster casting 1 and lmc 8

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

but you already know how I feel about these things :P

Even if it is pve nonsense, in which case... you'll more than likely always been in protection (because fire field/mass summon/pulsing aoe mobs type bosses) anyways, so boooooooooooooo fc

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »
Assuming that's accurate, and I can't find anything either way to prove it is or isn't, working through it gives you some clues as to common mistakes.

I can't imagine I'm the only one, but sometimes when I have a question about game mechanics, I often refer to the RunUO server source code.  Not that this is the gold standard, but at least some logical thought has been put into trying to implement it.  It's wrong much of the time, but at least I can get an understanding.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 09:20:53 AM »
I don't have the runuo source code, is it up to date with new items?

Question: The Quiver of Rage 10% damage modifier. that's 10% added damage AFTER everything else has been calculated so a 150 damage ebolt becomes a 165 damage ebolt... a good choice for mages? I'm not sure it applies to spells yet, not tested, but it's better than 5% SDI on the damage chart if it does. You do give up a bunch of other stuff but it's mostly regen, not damage, this would put your total output up if you can manage the mana I would think.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:29:48 AM by Gemviper »

Tags: