Poll

Which cloud storage option do you think is best?

Microsoft SkyDrive
Google Drive
Dropbox
Other
Tell me more of this "cloud storage" you speak of!
Some or all of the above depending on my needs

Author Topic: "Cloud" storage - what's your take?  (Read 5141 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
"Cloud" storage - what's your take?
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »
What do you use for online storage and/or file synchronization? Do you use anything at all? Why one over the other?

Since Microsoft Mesh was retired earlier this year I've been trying to decide what to do with my data. I've been playing around with a number of them and am finding pros and cons to all (I'll spare you all my thoughts and findings, it would take me longer to write than for you to read but neither of us will have used our time wisely).

So which is it?

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
Re: "Cloud" storage - what's your take?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
I have been using Dropbox and I have it shared with a friend so that we can each drop things in there for the other to use. It is nice and easy to use, has a mobile ap, and I haven't had any issues with it.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »
I'm using Dropbox right now to synch files/folders between multiple devices. The thing I don't like about it though is how difficult it is to add folders OUTSIDE of the "Dropbox" folder. I don't know about anyone else here but I don't use a folder called "Dropbox" at the root of my data folder. I also want to synch folders where they sit, for example X:\Games\UO\Razor\Macros,  X:\Games\UO\Razor\Profiles, X:\Games\UO\EUO - not X:\Dropbox\NowIHaveToPutAllMyShitHere.

I do like Dropbox for sharing with other people though or making files that I might need from time to time available anywhere (e.g. installs, etc) just not to synch a working folder.

Google Drive and SkyDrive I have only used as file repositories, I haven't installed the client agents yet. I like them both for their ability to edit files without actually downloading them to the PC first as long as it's a supported file type. Google let's you share docs as well although SkyDrive doesn't. I still have to try the agents though to see if that will do what I want.

Dropbox would be great if a) they gave more than 2GB for free and b) allowed you to add any folder you want to be synchronized.

Man, I hate to say it with all of it's faults but BOY do I miss Mesh...

X

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »
http://lifehacker.com/5154698/sync-files-and-folders-outside-your-my-dropbox-folder

Although, I do find that having it only sync my Dropbox folder makes me conscious of what IS and ISN'T getting backed up. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:50:48 PM by UOMaddog »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
I was using Dropbox until recently.   Reason is my employer block the site,  to easy to introduce virus into the network at work :)  So now I only stores file in there, so I can access them for any computer or friend can use my file. 

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
Dropbox FTW, you can even have scripts write files into your Dropbox, Save Pictures into your dropbox, Its amazing!
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline iamwin

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • iamwin has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
I've got a big-ass NAS at home, that's my cloud. No one gets my data but me. All of my mobile devices can VPN in to my own network and access or sync at any time.

I do use dropbox for work though, particularly if I need to sync files to my phone and can't be arsed

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 06:35:04 AM »
So, anyone using SkyDrive or Google Drive to synch multiple folders or anything like that? I was going to give it a shot last night but ended up working from 8pm to 1am instead LOL. Maybe tonight...

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
If any of you know me, I love Google everything, but Google Drive is the only thing I haven't really dug into too deeply. I was really excited for it to come out, but by the time it did, I already had my Dropbox setup and running some beautifully that I didn't want to rework it all for GDrive. Plus, I have 64GB of storage in my Dropbox and only 15GB in GDrive. If you wanna know how I got 64GB in Dropbox, I'll give you a hint:
- Referrals
- Beta Testing auto-upload
- Referrals
- Samsung
- Referrals
- Space Race (educational institutions)
- Referrals

:)  :D  ;)  ;D  8)  :P  :-\
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
Cool, I figured out how to do what I want to do using Dropbox! Creating a symbolic link under the Dropbox folder ("mklink" in Windows) for each, individual folder I want to synch on a device. Then create the same named symbolic link on the other device but pointing to the path on that device. Booyah! Multiple folders synched to multiple devices but not stored under the Dropbos folder.

Awesome!

X

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
Nice, I'll have to set something up like that. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Just be careful with any folder synched with smybolic links. If you ever rename those folders, you'll need to update it on the other devices or else you may end up with duplicates.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
Dropbox is hosting (or did host) its first developer conference.  They are looking to really expand what they offer, and I like what I've read.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/dropbox-conference/

Tags: