Author Topic: Home Use NAS  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Home Use NAS
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
I havent looked at these in a long time....   any recommendations for a resonably priced  2+ bay home use NAS.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Home Use NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
I got this one recently and it's been working very well despite the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBU3SY/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

Initially I thought I bought a turd, but after upgrading the BIOS, it accepted my WD Green 3TB drives.  So now I have a 6TB NAS that's worked flawlessly(even survived a fall when a fan fell on top of it.)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »
What purpose do you have for a 6TB NAS anyway?

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »
I got this one recently and it's been working very well despite the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBU3SY/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

Initially I thought I bought a turd, but after upgrading the BIOS, it accepted my WD Green 3TB drives.  So now I have a 6TB NAS that's worked flawlessly(even survived a fall when a fan fell on top of it.)

funny enough i was looking at that one yesterday. Planning to set it up as a Raid 1.. so only 3tb total for me...   Hows all the media serving stuff on that not that i really need that functionaily at present but well it comes with it.

Was also looking at setting up my $35 raspberry pi as a nas server, it can do it .. but wouldnt be such a clean physical solution. ie no neat box.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
What purpose do you have for a 6TB NAS anyway?

I have all my 500 movies, and 400 disks work of TV series ripped to the unit.  I have a stack of 12 boxes of DVDs I can now store out in the garage and forget about.  So for me, it was time to clean up some clutter.  I get tired of my bachelor's pad decoration sometimes.

I believe I can fit my Blue Rays on it next. 

Anyhow, this box has been pretty flawless after I did the BIOS upgrade.  It just chugs along and streams high definition very easily.  It's pretty quite too and doesn't get hot at all (surprisingly, I suppose due to the green WD drives)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:02:02 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
how long did it take to rip that many dvds?  What kind of quality did the rips get?  What were the specs on the machine you used?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:57 PM »
Oh man, I've been ripping these for over 1.5 months now.  Everything is lossless, so I'm basically just copying the .VOB files and removing the residual copy protection.  Each disk takes around 15-20 minutes to copy.  I just have a 6-core Phenom with 16GB, so just about your average computer these days.  I may change to MKV at some point, but at this point I wanted to preserve the DVD functionality.  I did have 2 DVD drives hooked up, so I was able to rip 2 disks simultaneously.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:56:23 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
Are you ripping with cuda?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »
No, it's called 1-click DVD copy pro.

Were you talking about using Cuda-cores to rip with?  If so then I don't think so because I'm not encoding.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »
So wait you're just making dvd image copies?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
Yes, I'm a quality whore.  On my 1080p screen, I need to have the best quality I can have, so I sacrifice storage space for quality.  Thus the 6TB drive.  ;)

But many disks out there are still copy protected, so you need to be able to circumvent that protection to make the image.  I could have just as easily made an .ISO of the disks.  That was just another step I didn't want to take.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
What system do you use to play the files to your TV?

Not entirely on point, but I just bought the Sonos system. Its pretty cool and easy to set up. I think it would work with a system like this to provide audio.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
What system do you use to play the files to your TV?

Not entirely on point, but I just bought the Sonos system. Its pretty cool and easy to set up. I think it would work with a system like this to provide audio.

here's the thread where I summarized my HTPC setup and tools:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=10015.msg84463#msg84463

I ended up having many more disks than I was aware of.  lol
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »
Yes, I'm a quality whore.  On my 1080p screen, I need to have the best quality I can have, so I sacrifice storage space for quality.  Thus the 6TB drive.  ;)

But many disks out there are still copy protected, so you need to be able to circumvent that protection to make the image.  I could have just as easily made an .ISO of the disks.  That was just another step I didn't want to take.

When I tried that route, ie: making .dmg and .iso, i saw an immediate drop in quality when i played from them. How are you storing it?

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
Oh man, I've been ripping these for over 1.5 months now.  Everything is lossless, so I'm basically just copying the .VOB files and removing the residual copy protection.  Each disk takes around 15-20 minutes to copy.  I just have a 6-core Phenom with 16GB, so just about your average computer these days.  I may change to MKV at some point, but at this point I wanted to preserve the DVD functionality.  I did have 2 DVD drives hooked up, so I was able to rip 2 disks simultaneously.

He is doing a direct .vob copy to the HD.

Tags: