Author Topic: Dealing with a dead server...  (Read 2454 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Dealing with a dead server...
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »
Been offline for a couple days since my home server decided to die.  So I had to get all the data restored from redundant backups and get things up and running.

Pays to do server maintenance from time to time.  It just sits over there and wizzes and I forget about it.  I have CRON jobs that backup all the important drives, so it's pretty much automatic, and it's those kinds of backups that have saved my ass a few times now.

I still need to upgrade the version of Fedora I have on it (sitting at FC7).  I have F10 running everywhere else now.

All hail CRON!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with a dead server...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
Well since you will be doing work on it now would be a good time to do the Fedora 10 upgrade :P

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:36:12 AM »
Good article Cerv. I'm surprised that he actually had the g'nads to go ahead and mention a Microsoft product in the article, it seems like everyone is afraid of the uber-geek backlash typically accompanied with an implied MS endorsement. The fact remains that MS is hands-down the system to reach for if you are a typical home user that just wants something "that works" (as the article put it). Out of the box the MS product is easy to use and simple to configure. It also boasts some damn cool features as far as entertainment system and other PC entertainment integration is concerned.

Personally I'd prefer to go with an opensource choice but the fact remains that, no matter how user-friendly Fedora or Ubuntu try to be, they are still geared toward a technically-minded installation demographic. I have nothing setup at home anymore but when the time comes I will probably reach for one of the opensource options.

Oh, and damn straight on the CRON lifeline!!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »
Ya, I with this new system, I installed both Windows 7 and Fedora 10.  The Windows 7 install was totally flawless and no hitch aside from no SLI.  Heck, even my Windows Mobile 6.1 smartphone installed effortlessly. (first time for an OS, BTW without needing disks.  It even recognized my phone type and manufacturer)  However, I had to futz with F10 for an entire weekend.  Granted that's the kind of futzing I enjoy, but most people don't have that kind of patience.

However, if you've been futzing with linux for as long as I have (1992 for me), I can honestly say that I'm still just amazed at how far Linux has come.  Free is free, and for a free OS, these days I prefer Gnome to the Windows7 interface.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
However, if you've been futzing with linux for as long as I have (1992 for me), I can honestly say that I'm still just amazed at how far Linux has come.  Free is free, and for a free OS, these days I prefer Gnome to the Windows7 interface.

I'm way behind you on the Linux front but I agree entirely :P
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Tags: