Author Topic: Media discussion - from shoutbox  (Read 2381 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Media discussion - from shoutbox
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:17:25 AM »
I decided to move this to a new thread since it seems to make the most sense. This is in response to the discussion brewing in the shoutbox regarding HD media players and Popcorn Hour.

On network connectivity - A network connection is your lifeline. Many/most/all media players will connect to your network via wireless or wired nowadays and you DEFINITELY want yours to. If it doesn't, how would you access your central data storage or stream media to the device? Nowadays it isn't enough to be able to stick a disk into a device and play it, you need many ways to move your media to your tv and tuner. Even many TV's are made to connect directly to your network so you can stream Internet content via what are called "Widgets" which, IMO, are really a waste unless you're someone who is satisfied with limiting streaming to Flickr pics and Yahoo videos. I want to play BlueRay and DVD movies, listen to CD's, listen to MP3's, watch DIVx's, rent a movie on Netflix, watch Hulu videos, rotate photos off a USB key, etc, etc. Almost ALL of this requires connectivity to a network and any media player worth it's time will connect to yours.

On device connectivity - @Coragin, HDMI is the preferred method nowadays rather than USB but it works very much the same way. Typically you would have a device, usually a receiver/tuner, with multiple HDMI inputs and a single output. You would connect in, say, a Blue Ray player, PS3, Media PC, etc and have one HDMI connection out to your TV. HDMI carries both video and audio signals in a single, High-Def digital connection. In fact, HDMI and DVI (connection on most video cards and monitors nowadays) are essentially the same format just different connectors.

On price - yes the popcorn hour is $300 without any blueray/dvd/hard drive or wireless. This isn't cheap, especially considering a Terabyte drive (if you want it) will run you about $75 and a Blue-Ray drive about the same. Fully equipped you are looking at around $500. However, what you get for this money is the ability to do EVERYTHING I discuss above and more. This replaces a Blueray/DVD player, CD Player, Netflix streaming box, a Slingbox, a Media PC, and more. They aren't going after the DVD Player market, they're going after the Media PC market with a Blueray player price point. To build the same thing in a Media Center PC you'd pay $200 or more just for a decent media PC case. The base model of the C200 is the same price as a PS3! There aren't any other media players out there doing the same thing for much less, especially when you start looking at your lower-end PCH models (A-200 with no drives is much cheaper).

But if not PCH there are some other potentially promising systems out there, you just have to keep an eye out. For me it comes down to features supporting the Entertainment Center consolidation. There's a thread or 2 on this here in Off-Topic somewhere; one started by me and one by Cerv. What is EC consolidaiton? Well, at my house I have a 7-foot high monster, Sauder entertainment Center I bought at Service Merchandise 12 years ago. In this bohemith I have a dual-cassette player, 5 disc CD changer, old 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound receiver, a broken DVD player that works once in a while, my Comcast set top box, a VHS player, a 275 pound 36" television, and countless VHS's and DVD's in the media cupboards on either side. I want this to be nothing more than a 46" LED Television sitting on a small, esthetically appealing cabinet with nothing more than a receiver, a media player, and a DVR all connected with single HDMI cables and the ability to connect to network attached storage whether it's a share on my PC or a NAS in the basement.

Anyhow, this post is starting to look like it's from Coragin (hehe ;) just playin with ya buddy) so I'll wrap it up. Hope it's helpful, as you can tell I've been doing a lot of research for a while. I'd be happy to share some more specific models I've chosen should anyone care!

Peace!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Media discussion - from shoutbox
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:51:35 AM »
Anyhow, this post is starting to look like it's from Coragin

*in his best 'Eric Cartman' voice*
"Hay! I will kick you in the nnnuuuuuts!"

Okay on to a serious take.  I just read it fast, jumped around ect.  They make hdmi "hubs"?  Similar to those hubs they had out for composite based video game systems if you had multiple?  I looked for them about two years ago and could not find them!

Let me know if I am going off topic here.  But I am currently debating on how to do this....

I have probably 3 extra pc's layin around here from when I used to do everquest, they are 4gb 2.0-3.0 single/dual amd processors.

I want to build one of them into a media player.  Im having a problem with my main PC showing blu ray video on my TV since the TV is on a different video card (vNidia GeForce 9800+ 1gig video ram) and not on the main screens video card.  idk why.

So what I want to do.

Media Player w/current codecs
connected to tv
USB remote for media center (That can be used to bring pc out of sleep/heibernate mode, power on pc) I own this, need help with bios settings.

Now my questions:
Can anyone suggest any single media program over another?  I would love just an OS for something like this.
Would Linux be a good OS?  XP Media Center?  XP x64, Vista 64, Win7 64?

Im cutting this now since it is really getting off topic from the OP, will repost this info and more in another thread and come back and link to it.  But small info and relevant to the OP too would be nice.

Link to relevant post http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=4616.0
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:21:50 AM by Coragin »
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
Win 7.

Use the HDMI connection on your video card to the TV. If you don't have one then you need to run both video and sound seperately and there is no guarantee that they will synch properly.

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
my pvr capture card does not support x64 os.  :(  Strangely it accepts 1080p
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
my pvr capture card does not support x64 os.  :(  Strangely it accepts 1080p
There's absolutely no correlation between 64-bit support and 1080p.

Tags: