Poll

Which would you choose?

Nikon D3100
5 (71.4%)
Canon t2i
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Nikon D3100 vs Canon t2i  (Read 7196 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Nikon D3100 vs Canon t2i
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
So I got a nice hulking year-end bonus check from my consulting job ($1500) so I'm going to splurge for my birthday (Jan 17) and buy a DSLR. I have narrowed down my choices to the Nikon D3100 and the Canon t2i. Anyone here good with DSLR's (or have one they might want to brag about?) that could give some good input as to which to get (I'm leaning towards one but I won't say until I get some honest opinions). I'm going to put a placeholder for the pros and cons of each and I will fill them in as we discuss.

Nikon D3100
Pros:
- $539.99 (I've seen it on sale for this price) (Body + standard 18-55mm lens)
- 11 point auto-focus
- Auto-focusing video (albeit not perfect, but better than the t2i)
- 1 year body / 5 year lens warranty
Cons:
- 14.2MP
- 1080P @ 24fps, 720P @ 30fps
- No External Mic Jack
- LCD Display = .23 megapixel

Canon t2i
Pros:
- 17.9MP
- 1080P @ 24fps, 720P/480P @ 50fps
- External Mic Jack (doubt I'll use it)
- LCD Display = 1 megapixel (easier to tell if a picture is blurry or out of focus)
Cons:
- $649.99 (Body + standard 18-55mm lens)
- 9 point auto-focus
- 1 year body / 1 year lens warranty

There's the technical comparison...Now here's the opinions I've been given accompanied by my own:
Nikon cameras are dependable, durable, excellent in low-light, and great for an amateur photographer who is just starting to delve into the photography world (I've been handicapped thus far by my Canon PowerShot A560 point-and-shoot camera). Nikon's guide mode is great for helping out when you can't remember what you needed to adjust and yet you can completely disregard it once you become comfortable. Canon's pictures can often be superior, but you'll probably end up reading the manual front to back and still forget most of it when you wish you could remember. The Nikon wins hands-down in the video category though.

Here's one of my favorite photos from my point-and-shoot. Just took it this past December at Longwood Gardens here in PA. There was a group of photography students (with their Nikons and Canons hehe) working on photographing this one tree. I popped up behind them and snapped this shot:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:16:38 PM by UOMaddog »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D3100 vs Canon t2i
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:09 AM »
Dont know about Pros and cons but I currently own a Nikon D50 and am planning on adding a d3100 as soon as I can afford one. I dont think you can beat a nikon, or nikkor lenses. I have had the d50 for about 5 years. It has been 100% trouble free, takes outstanding pictures and doesnt seem to mind the weather +90 to -50 here in Wyoming and I have shot at both extreams.

I dont know much about the cannon, but actually wouldn't care anyway. I am and always will be a Nikon lover!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:13:25 AM »
They're both good cameras. Lenses should be interchangeable for the most part right?

The Canon can often be had far cheaper as part of bundle packs that go on sale. For example, I've seen the t2i as low as $650+/- with a lens ! For $1,500 you should be able to get the camera and pay for a nice weekend getaway for you and the Mrs. to start using it ;)

For example:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=761542&t=2547153

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:57:10 AM by Toptwo »
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57:48 AM »
They're both good cameras. Lenses should be interchangeable for the most part right?

The Canon can often be had far cheaper as part of bundle packs that go on sale. For example, I've seen the t2i as low as $650+/- with a lens ! For $1,500 you should be able to get the camera and pay for a nice weekend getaway for you and the Mrs. to start using it ;)

For example:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=761542&t=2547153

X

Everything I have found so far shows the Nikon is 150.00 less then the cannon

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »
I own the Nikon D40 my dad owns the D90, and the D40.  he's been a huge fan of photography pretty much his whole life.. he did own cannons as I was groing up, but ever since the digital age I've only seen him own Nikons... so Id take it word for it and stick with the Nikon... Nikon Transfer is also a really nice program to transfer your picks to your computer... so my vote sticks with the Nikon.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Seems the majority of the camera snobs I'm associated with generally trend toward Nikon.  I get crap for my Lumix and Olympus.  Oh well, I still love my Lumix DMC-ZS7
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
OK I admit it - i'm a Nikon snob

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
The only thing worse than a Nikon snob is a Leica snob! Hehe JK! I'm hopefully going to be a proud Nikon snob myself soon.

Let me update my first post with my opinions since I've heard plenty here!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline msitwin

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • msitwin has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:26 AM »
It seems like Nikon would be the better deal.

I recently bought a canon EOS 7D as a present for myself. I don't know what I was thinking, I'm a beginner.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »
A lot of Nikon fans here but I gotta tell ya, the Canon is a great camera too.

I would buy whichever had the features I was interested in Maddog. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either camera.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
Well I went ahead and got the D3100 for $525 (after sale price - instant rebates - discount coupon). Picked up a Transcend 32GB Class 10 SDHC for $55. My fiance's parents are getting me the CF-DC1 semi-soft shell case for it (just to protect it against bumps and such, since I only have the one lens and 1 memory card, I don't really need a gigantic bag) and my sister is getting me a nice tripod for it as well for my birthday on Monday. Been playing around with it a little bit and definitely like it! It's a little bit daunting at first, but I'm just playing around with everything and hoping for some nicer weather so I can try going somewhere for a few shots (pictures not drinks)! I'll post them up and let you all see them when I do!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:54 AM »
Great Choice...
Set %NikonUser %NikonUser + 1

Tags: