Poll

The subjet is the question.  Face book account, yay or nye?

Yes
15 (68.2%)
No
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Do you have a Facebook account?  (Read 4939 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Do you have a Facebook account?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
I almost bought into the IPO.  Due to a technical issue with my order, it was cancelled before executing.  Thank goodness!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »
I do not have FB either. I believe it is to easy to pester people, temptation, or find information about people. It also has too many lopp holes in the software design. If you take a look around the net there are tons of utilities for hacking fb accounts, walk thrus on what to look for in photos to collect information about people. FB is a problem waiting to happen to any of us :)

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
I work in the investment buisness up here and on the IPO date we all placed a bet for the closing price.  I won after saying it would close negative and the other 4 people in my team all were strongly positve.  There have been other FB's in the past with myspace being a great example.  FB is a good model with a massive base to work from but the issues raised pre IPO were clear.  The leadership is not buisness focused and wishes to change the world?  The real ability for a company to use the tool to direct traffic to thier product is still largely not understood just as where the traffic comes from in the first place.  If GM thinks that the small part of thier marketing budget was poorly spent it's not like they couldn't have just continued to spend the money and see if it went better but instead they pulled the plug fully, clearly they didn't see anything worth the effort.

I understand that he might have become rich beyond numbers people like us could understand but as of the annoncement of going public they/he have new people to answer to other than who makes the best hoodie.  They really need a proper front man/woman and let the boy grow to be the man.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
I also had no doubts that the stock  was overpriced at ipo.... this is my take on thier biz (MY OWN TAKE).  They are a data broker, they face a number of obstacles

- Europe is enforcing every tighter privacy laws
- india, russian, china, brazil  + other markets mainly use they homegrown alternatives

So thier main market is US based customers (due to USA almost non existant private data protection laws)
They are not going to increase their USA memberbase by huge numbers
Alot of thier USA customers are under 18 and thus have limited spending power.
An ever increasing number of thier customers access only via mobile devices .. thus see 0 advertising.

I predict that in the future as more and more US personal  data makes it into public databases thier will be a public backlash and thus a tightening of those laws.

To me this adds up to a rapidly falling revenue stream, with ever increasing data storage costs, and unterminable future market. Espeacilly if they dont figure out how to incorporate advertising into the mobile app and fast.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
Am I the only one that doesn't have one and hates Facebook like a wart plague?
Nope, I'm in the same club. No FB account nor do I want one.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Tags: