Author Topic: Anyone hate Outlook (new Hotmail) like I do?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Anyone hate Outlook (new Hotmail) like I do?
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
What's up with Microsoft these days?  I've used Hotmail for years and have felt it to be a pretty good free mail service.  Their transition to the Outlook paradigm without a backward compatibility/skin (*cough* Windows 8 *cough*) has me closing my hotmail account for good.  I'm already moved over to hushmail and will probably never use Hotmail again. 

Moral:

The new Hotmail really sucks!

(won't even get into the details, but they are numerous!)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
Re: Anyone hate Outlook (new Hotmail) like I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:51:03 AM »
Never been a fan of Hotmail, used MSN as Teenager to chat with chicks, else not really used. But i have a few friends who also saying that the latest changes are not good as to use their services anymore.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »
I've used Gmail since the days before it was even open to the public (a friend and I got beta-accounts back in high school). I can't say I've seen any other service that can compare to the features of Gmail / Google account! Most people don't even realize all the awesome stuff in the "Labs" section of Gmail that is supposedly alpha/beta-ready, yet still works better than full services like AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, etc.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
I agree, Gmail has been my goto mail service since it was in beta testing..

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »
I thought google labs was shut down a number of years ago
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:25:49 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of gmail going though my mail text to determine how they might want to spam me with advertisements.  I chose hushmail because it's just about as secure as they come.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of gmail going though my mail text to determine how they might want to spam me with advertisements.  I chose hushmail because it's just about as secure as they come.

Ditto on that.. I just have a gmail account to access google play and i dont use it otherwise well except for some calendars so google can know exactly here i am and what im doing at all times.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
I thought google labs was shut down a number of years ago

Not in the least! I use tons of the features of Labs (it's under Settings -> Labs) in GMail.

I wasn't a big fan of gmail going though my mail text to determine how they might want to spam me with advertisements.

I actually enjoy the overall integration of services offered by Google. I am one of those willing to give up marketing information on myself to use a service for absolutely no charge. When you consider the cost of similar products to provide all the services that Google does, I just can't justify the costs or the lower quality of those services. Google Now is honestly one of my favorite applications on my Samsung Galaxy SII. It's one place where I can find:
-Current weather where I'm at (plenty of other apps that would do it, but very clean)
-Current scores for all the teams I like
-Notifications about items I've purchased that have been shipped/delivered (scans my GMail for tracking numbers)
-Traffic to/from our clients, with alerts if it's going to take me longer than usual to get to a meeting due to traffic
-Nearby restaurants (great when I'm traveling for business)
-much much more!

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of apps that would serve each of those functions well (except the traffic alert part since it involves calendar integration), but Google does it all in ONE APP! With a clean and easy interface. In fact, it hides most of those cards except when it knows I'll need them, but they're only one click away if I do. Not to mention I can do all kinds of searching from within the app as well. To me, it's finally an app that does what apps SHOULD do, help people and make their lives easier, NOT more complicated with technology! And all of that for free! It wouldn't be able to do half of those functions without me providing the data they collect as a "fee" for their services, so I am willing to make what I consider a fair trade: info for services.

If it's something I really want to keep private, well that's when I use other independent services!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Robban89

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Robban89 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
I agree, Not even a nice look :(
I changed my mail to Gmail when they told they was going to change.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 06:04:05 AM »
I managed to fix one of the annoyances.  I got rid of the right-side ad bar.  Here's how:

For Firefox:
1) Install Greasemonkey  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/ (restart Firefox)
2) Install CSS modification script from here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/8228

There are other directions on the userscripts.org site for other browsers: http://userscripts.org/about/installing

I love Google search!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline backabacka

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • backabacka has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
It's still a shame you have to do all this extra stuff to make something usable that should work as-is. Microsoft is showing their ignorance as of late, especially with Windows 8, and how they have to do such a quick turnaround with "Windows Blue" because only a small minority of people actually like it.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
Yeh, it's kinda funny to own the product that's being blamed for the death of the PC.  Not a badge of honor.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: