Author Topic: Now for something completely different...  (Read 8504 times)

Offline BookwyrmTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Now for something completely different...
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 02:57:40 AM »
Oh so you're the one who keeps the Shannara series going ;).

I read the first series years ago and while I enjoyed The Sword of Shannara the others seem too forced to me. I did not care for the way he developed his characters later on in the series either. I found that I enjoyed Brook's other series to be much more fun. The Landover series was a fantastic read and continuously brought a smile to my face.
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 03:52:28 AM »
Sword of Shanara was the hardest for me to get into.... The others  came pretty easy.

Favorite Book Series.... Man, that's a tough choice.... It would have to be a tie between The DragonLance Series(Pretty much all the books... I really liked the Kender Race) and The Deathgate Cycle. I read both when I was 12, but I can still remember a lot of the Places, scenarios, races, names etc. Which is pretty good for someone who can't even remember peoples names that he went to school with.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Which is pretty good for someone who can't even remember peoples names that he went to school with.

Ditto
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »
Hmm..... Favorites eh?    Well it's probably just because there are so many good memories attached but Drizzt (all the books) will always have a place in my heart.  I used to roll the D20 and pull all night gaming sessions from probably 8 grade through the Middle of College.  The Drizzt books were always being avidly devoured by someone in our group of 6-7 people so it was natural that we all ended up reading them.  Too many fond memories  of hanging out on my friends 2nd story deck on a nice sunny day while his mom catered snacks / coke & we all rolled the dice.   I was always one to squeeze in a page or 2 of a book if the action wasn't focused on me.

Offline Catryonna

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Catryonna has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 05:25:42 AM »
While I would love to say I have something new to add, I don't.  My favorite series of all times are the Dragon Lance Saga, and the Wheel of time series.  Amazingly enough ,even though I read all the time - I had never managed the wheel of time series...I think I just assumed I had read it......And we all know what assuming does!  So I started reading them a few months ago on a cross country trip.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to catch up on some reading.  And that as they say - is the rest of the story - I cant put them down, I take a book or e-reader wherever I go.  I can't imagine WHY or HOW I managed not to read them years ago.....

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
Anyone read the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn? It is magnificent.

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
Anyone read the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn? It is magnificent.
No I haven't personally, but I semi recognize the cover art which at least means I've looked at it in the past before.   I'm a big one for browsing the new release section in Barnes and Noble & then I just pull out my phone & take a quick pick of anything NEW that I'm interested in.  If I don't do that I quickly forget and often times don't remember until I see the book come out in paperback heh.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
I might also mention I like some of Orson Scott Cards books.
Enders game and Enders Shadow are two of the best books I ever read.

Also I like the early works of Raymond Feist (ie Magician etc - Rift war)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »

Enders game and Enders Shadow are two of the best books I ever read.

So do you have high hopes for the Ender's Game movie coming out or are you anticipating a disaster.
Personally I feel Ender's Game is a very fine piece of fiction and worthy of much praise. But I could not get behind any of the follow-up books. They just did not click with me.

Kinda like the movie Jumper. The book by Steven Gould is fantastic and there have been a couple of very good sequels to it. But the movie was, in my opinion, crap.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:41:29 PM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »
Also another of my all time favorites

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/books.asp

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
Kvothe is awesome... Now I have to check if the last "Day" is out to read yet.. good stuff though.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »

No I haven't personally, but I semi recognize the cover art which at least means I've looked at it in the past before. 

I have several of those prints (by the incredible Michael Whelan) hanging up in my house.

Tags: