Author Topic: Punishments for Scripting?  (Read 9534 times)

HamsterEU

Punishments for Scripting?
« on: May 31, 2009, 06:16:07 AM »
Just curious if people know or have experienced the various punishments handed out by GMs for scripting? I know for UM skills they usually dump you in the Bucc's Den jail for whatever purpose that serves, but what about things like rail scripts where it is more obvious you're running one? Also, if your account is suspended do they tend to go after other accounts using the same billing info, or just the 'rule-breaker'? Interested to hear your thoughts :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Punishments for Scripting?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:25:35 AM »
I've been in Buccs Den many many times.  Never been suspended, but generally I don't script unattended.  Still, even with my GM detector, I hardly ever get a call or harassed by a GM.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
It has always been a resource gathering script that i have been caught with.  The 1st offense would be sent to macro jailbe later free to log on with just a warning. Second offense ussually a 72 hour ban. Never had anything any more severe yet.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »
I've been throw in jail a few times. Once for resource mining on a new shard and recalling to back and forth to a bank because I was too new to place a house, one time using the battle axe donator and I accidently took off my LRC ring so I was just sitting there. And just recently for using Maddog's Jhelom Bull Trainer.

Most have been 48 hours but the last one was 72 hours. What drives me nuts is that after you've served your time and are able to login your character is 'stuck' and can't move. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is. The first time it happened to me it didn't wear off and I just ended up leaving that shard and that character there. This last time I paged a GM about it and then I was able to move freely, then as I'm running around I get the GM response that he doesn't see any reason why I am unable to move. So I'm not sure if being stuck is on some kind of timer or what the deal is with it.

I'm not sure what their policy is as far as linking all accounts together regarding billing information and email and putting a black mark on all of them or doing a mass banning. From a business standpoint it doesn't make alot of sense and would be financial suicide.  On the flip side say you ban one account of a player who has multiple acccounts ...maybe that player will cancel his remaining accounts in spite?

The scary thing is if EA or whoever was in charge actually cared about the game and or had any brains at all they would do alot of things differently in the way they run and promote UO (i.e uogamecodes. Markee Dragon, Retail Box, EA Website) . From the business apsect that is...seems with alot of things they do they just don't care about the game so what why would they care about banning some of it's subscribers?

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Noobie has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
I have had two diffrent unattended macroing bans both of which were 72 hours. When you are use to loggin in and playing every day 72 hours seems like a long a## time. I only have one account so i went no uo the whole time. the first time i was chopping wood the other was in the farm pens trying to train the god awful taming skill.

I have a freind that scripts constantly and every time he sees someone that he thinks is scripting he pages on them. He really pisses me off.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
been perma banned on second offense one... both marks were from hitting a palidin in luna.  i was healing it and disarming when it got low.  Ban after two marks is rare.

rail scripts carry same bans typically.

only time I have heard of them going after other accts is when they mass ban a duper and ip bann all accts connected.

I have perma banned 3 or 4 accts over the years, no big deal, and they never went after the other accts once.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »
Here's my experience with GM punishments in regards to scripting:

Skill Training: Usually asked a random question by a GM/EARep, then usually teleported to the anti-macro room and I believe you have a minute or so to remove yourself from that room. If you don't move out by yourself (I just had a brain flash that told me to write a script to walk you out of the room! LOL) you'll get a 48-72 hour suspension. RARELY will you ever get a ban. Only if a GM is having a really bad day!
*NOTE: In obvious/common macro places, you are more likely to just get a question (maybe not even that courtesy) and then suspended, such as golem-ing in Luna, taming in Jhelom farm, etc.

Resource Gathering: Usually asked a random question by a GM/EARep, but not always. Then suspended for 48-72 hours for the first or second offense of this type. Often a perma-ban after a couple times, especially in Heartwood and the Library/Museum, though I have known people to get away with just suspensions for 5 or 6 offenses.

PvP Scripts: Hardly ever caught for these types of scripts (trapped box poppers, auto bandagers, etc) simply because it is difficult to monitor and tell the difference between goodscript/crappypvper or noscript/goodpvper!

And just as a side note, this was my favorite night in jail (this picture may be offensive to some, but I assure you I am not a racist or discriminatory in any way!)

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Scrripty

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:10:18 PM »
Anyone remember when that middle upper room was the "potty mouth" room?  Oh I spent many a night in there years ago...  Back when telling a gm to f off didn't net you an immediate disconnect and a nice wave goodbye. :)  I had Gm Ironwill get woken up late at night one night because my guild was looting the compound of a group of counselors, great fun for the whole family.  I miss Gm Ironwill.  He was stern BUT FAIR!   He appeared to me one night, if anyone remembers when you could trap ghosts with boxes on the ground, and asked me, "Can you PLEASE stop trapping the ghosts of people you kill?  I have to answer the pages..."  I of course agreed because he was so nice. :)  Maddog I have a picture somewhere of me standing in a PILE of items in jail.  I stacked them as high as they'd go on each tile.  Bandages, pots, my armor.  The gm asked me to pick it up, and when I wouldn't he started wearing my armor.  I never got it back and he had it on for months.  I hate gms. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:23:56 PM by Scripty »

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
That is freaking funny I have never actually talked to a GM i was always AFK. Is there a way to remove counts against your account? I had someone tell me to transfer my account to a friend then have then transfer it back but never tried it.

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »
Yea you have to use the "official" transfer method.  But don't transfer it twice.  Transfer it to a friend then just take it back...?  Why do it two times and spend the money twice? :)

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »
That makes sense. Does it actually change the billing info and all that good stuff?

Scrripty

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Yea, it's an "official" account transfer, basically wiping it clean and making it a new account for someone else.  But keeping the chars/items/houses and such. :)

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
Rofl,

72 Hour ban Lumberjacking (Of Course) was afk, so no idea.

72 Hour Ban taming in Jhelom like everyone else... sad thing was... it was a guildmate who didn't recognize my character who uses my taming script that paged on me.......

Normally I get asked Gay questions like.... Do you have a weapon in your hand? What Color are Your shoes...... Thats when I say.... Dunno.... let me write a short code and I'll find out the #findcol on my shoes for you!
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
The last time was when I was working my smith overnight, was to 120 smith that morning.  I just happened to get up to go to the bathroom early one morning and just glanced over at the screen and saw something red, ran over and it was the orange triangle.  Something about gm so and so.  I immediatley shut down the script and ran out of the house and started mining.  A few minutes later he came back and said something like Ah, your there!.  and left me alone.  How he found me ill never know, not a soul around my house i script in. 
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 05:29:16 AM »
Sounds like the GMs have some easy targets with you heartwood scripters so thier having some fun with it.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: