Author Topic: Producer's Letter: What do you think?  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Producer's Letter: What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
I don't know if I read it as playing one way or the other with any anti-scripter agenda, but in the context of this letter I wonder whether the recent changes to gumps and resource #Property handles is anti-script motivated.  I am not sure I see anything affected by the changes other than scripts being broken.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Scrripty

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »
I don't know if I read it as playing one way or the other with any anti-scripter agenda, but in the context of this letter I wonder whether the recent changes to gumps and resource #Property handles is anti-script motivated.  I am not sure I see anything affected by the changes other than scripts being broken.

That does make sense.  I bet it's extemely easy to track how many characters are using scripts before and after a patch.  Patching crafting menu's and such takes a long time for the non scripting player base to update all their scripts.  That would be a GREAT and easy way to cut down on scripting in between patches.  I forget how many people have NO IDEA how to write the simplest script.  All their scripts are broken every time there's a patch like that. :)  Funny.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
By the same token, if I wanted to go after the source of scripts instead of just the average user I might throw out a relatively easy to fix change.  The typical user won't be able to fix it, but the folks who know how to write scripts will.  Now if I am tracking script use I can target people I think are creating the product.  I think that is probably not what is happening, but it makes you think. 

Ultimately I think it would have the same result as if they find a way to shut down scripting altogether -- people who like to play because they can script, like me, won't play anymore -- but it could be seen as a way to lessen the impact of stopping scripting that avoids rolling out invasive software that creates privacy issues for the game company. I think that perception would be flawed, but I can see someone thinking it was valid. 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Scrripty

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »
By the same token, if I wanted to go after the source of scripts instead of just the average user I might throw out a relatively easy to fix change.  The typical user won't be able to fix it, but the folks who know how to write scripts will.  Now if I am tracking script use I can target people I think are creating the product.  I think that is probably not what is happening, but it makes you think. 

Ultimately I think it would have the same result as if they find a way to shut down scripting altogether -- people who like to play because they can script, like me, won't play anymore -- but it could be seen as a way to lessen the impact of stopping scripting that avoids rolling out invasive software that creates privacy issues for the game company. I think that perception would be flawed, but I can see someone thinking it was valid. 

Personally I think this post should be removed cause you might get hired by them.  :)

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
Yeah, lets not give them any ideas!!!
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mTr

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mTr has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 02:50:18 AM »
Without EUO i'll quit EA/OSI as quick as my explorer loads the uo website. I just started there, and its so hard to get money and to skill up without EUO or Razor or any programm without paying (BTW UOAssist sucks! only is good to combine it with UOAM ). They will kill not only the vets who uses EUO, but newcommers that need to macro A LOT, so New Haven will be empty even with all those free tryal accounts... BTW I'm sure that if they do that, at any time, any expert scripter will jump over that and share with all, as allways happens...

Lets wait their next movement....

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 09:08:16 AM »
My only fear is as time continues, there's less and less people that actually have a CLUE over there at EA/OSI.  At some point, some pious zealot over there might seriously pull the switch on something.  Thankfully, the industry will adapt; it always does.  Tools might break for a while, but they'll get fixed.  Look what happened recently, both UOAI and UOM were created.  If they try and upset the apple cart, they might just have to run around picking up apples.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
My only fear is as time continues, there's less and less people that actually have a CLUE over there at EA/OSI.  At some point, some pious zealot over there might seriously pull the switch on something.  Thankfully, the industry will adapt; it always does.  Tools might break for a while, but they'll get fixed.  Look what happened recently, both UOAI and UOM were created.  If they try and upset the apple cart, they might just have to run around picking up apples.  ;)

It's understandable to want to protect their interests.  The part I don't understand is why don't they contact the developers like they used to?  Supposedly they spend hours and hours scouring the boards for ideas and such. Why isn't someone contacting these amazing developers who love the game enough to spend valuable free time developing some of the best tools around for it?  Not only are they UO's most untapped resource, but they're some amazing people with great ideas for the game.  I'd snatch them up and hire them if I worked there.  Fire some of the idiots that have no clue.  Get some real talent.  The old devs used to understand this.  They actually had lines of communication with devs and websites.  You could contact them and get responses and change the course of UO with enough great ideas.  That vision has been lost for a while and the new devs are trying to go directions that have been proven not to work.  You can't kill creativity.  The picking up apples anology is great.  That's exactly what will happen.

Offline mTr

• Activity:
    0%
  • mTr has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
That vision has been lost for a while and the new devs are trying to go directions that have been proven not to work.  You can't kill creativity.  The picking up apples anology is great.  That's exactly what will happen.

*nods*

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • SolidSnake has no influence.
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »

It's understandable to want to protect their interests.  The part I don't understand is why don't they contact the developers like they used to?  Supposedly they spend hours and hours scouring the boards for ideas and such. Why isn't someone contacting these amazing developers who love the game enough to spend valuable free time developing some of the best tools around for it?  Not only are they UO's most untapped resource, but they're some amazing people with great ideas for the game.  I'd snatch them up and hire them if I worked there.  Fire some of the idiots that have no clue.  Get some real talent.  The old devs used to understand this.  They actually had lines of communication with devs and websites.  You could contact them and get responses and change the course of UO with enough great ideas.  That vision has been lost for a while and the new devs are trying to go directions that have been proven not to work.  You can't kill creativity.  The picking up apples anology is great.  That's exactly what will happen.

THIS is 100% spot on!!

Offline Adenocard

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Adenocard has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
They always say this. Can UO afford to lose accounts? Even when whole guilds were duping mass artifacts. They only banned one guild. I have no idea if their TOS supports scanning of harddrives like Blizz. Anyone know?

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 04:44:08 AM »
This may be a ridiculous idea. I'm not sure. If they did use a program to scan processes or your hard drive could you not block that program through your firewall? Thus not allowing it to send information back to EA?

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • My new toy....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:12 AM »
Sure you can block it....... when they notice it is blocked they deny you log on. So you let the program run, or you don't play.

JaF
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kracked

• Activity:
    0%
  • kracked has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »
I'm interested to hear what Cheffe has to say.  He's been awfully quiet, but I think he's enjoying the new OpenEUO too much to take it sittin down. :)

i went and started the question there cause noone was talkin aboout it and heres what he said

Quote from: Cheffe
No seriously, they take control of their game. I secretly applaud them for it. We know what abusive scripting can do to a shard's economy if there aren't any major gold sinks built into it. If there were a good way to prevent the worst effects I would probably implement it freely.

In fact, CEO and I have had a discussion about it with the RunUO guys a few years back but we couldn't agree on a mutual solution. As author of EUO I have to side with scripters, so I'd like to have things as liberal as possible. Shard owners like to keep things as restricted as possible if they allow EasyUO at all. I'm aware that they have found other ways of keeping their couple of shards more or less free of scripting. And so far we have grudgingly respected that decision, at least as long as it's not troubling too many of our users.

With EA, we'll have to wait and see. I think they've acknowledged that some sort of scripting is to be allowed unless they want to lose a lot of customers. I'd imagine they'll add a dynamic engine that will not only detect EasyUO (which would be trivial) but which can also look into scripts and see what they're actually doing. With that, they'll be able to dish out warnings and let people gradually know what's okay and what not. At least that's what I hope they'll do.

The problem is that a mild approach also has its cost. GMs and technical personnel are expensive. It would be much easier and cheaper to simply tighten the screws more and more. And I guess their main goal is still (and should be) to have their shards completely scripting free and 100% fair for everyone. The question is if that goal is realistic.

If they indeed choose a mild course and decide not to step on scripting too hard then I might in turn decide to let them and will take no steps against it. If not... luckily I already have a project in the pipeline that'll solve that problem (and it uses some seriously delicious technology to back up any number of claims I'd like to make). I don't know if we can take over existing scripts (e.g. exevents nor any sort of memory writing will work anymore), but I can guarantee you that you'll still get most of your scripting done.

So I wouldn't worry overmuch. Let's just wait and see what happens.
cal121

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • My new toy....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
Well, although I have little to no respect for the majority of the Mods and Admins over at EasyUO, I have great respect for Cheffe.  Although his opinions and my opinions often do not match completely, I have to respect him for the game changing app that he spent so much of his time creating.  Without EUO, or equivalent I would have stopped playing UO and canceled my 8 accounts a long long long time ago. 

Sounds like Cheffe already has something up his sleeve, which is great. 

I don't really see much need for worry yet, as EA has given this same basic speech so many times over the years that it just kind of goes in one ear and out the other now. 

If they actually ever do step up and do something, I think that there will be more than enough people around that have the knowledge and desire to defeat what ever they come up with.

JaF
Thomas Jefferson

Tags: