Author Topic: Smugglers Edge  (Read 7673 times)

Offline ladyyvonneTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ladyyvonne has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Smugglers Edge
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:30:46 AM »
Anyone remember the smugglers lanterns? I use to go to covetous with my thief she didn't have a fighting skill so I used heirific beast and hit the harpies with the smugglers edge to get the lanterns. I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar place I could do that in now that the dungeon has changed.

Thank you

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Smugglers Edge
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
I always wondered where those lanterns came from.. uo is one of those games were theirs always a surprise.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Guide says that there is currently nowhere in game that you can get them.  Only through the game store.

Source:
http://www.uoguide.com/Smuggler%27s_Lantern

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
I think they stopped selling the smugglers edge

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:31:29 AM »
It was never able to be gotten from in game unless someone bought them and then sold them ingame. They have always been a game store item.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:02 AM »
i saw them a while ago thought the concept could be nice and adapted it for runuo:P Well i expanded it a bit, you now can gain one of 3000 different colors *gg*

Offline ladyyvonneTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • ladyyvonne has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
I have the smugglers edge, I just don't know where to go to get the lanterns now without getting my brains beat out. Anyone know of a good spot to use it to get lanterns?

:P

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 05:28:39 AM »
I just picked up one of these from an idoc and had never heard of them before. Stat wise it's about the same as a butcher knife so it's not going to kill anything quickly. After some research I found that it was sold as a token from a code selling site that had partnered with UO but the site is now defunct and the tokens can no longer be purchased online, they aren't in the UO store.

I replaced 120 parry with 120 stealing on my 6x120 warrior and went to Covetous to kill harpies since I wanted the feathers for arrows anyway. Some observations:

- A steal attempt is made in about 1 of 20 hits, no stealing skill required
- A "rare" item is received in about 1 of 20 attempts if you have 120 real stealing skill, you fail 100% of the tries if below 100 real stealing
- The attempt at a special smuggler's edge rare item is successful in about 1 of 12 tries with 120 stealing
- You don't have to kill the target to get loot, the steal attempts are made on hits and items appear in pack
- You can only get 1 item per target, which seems to be a little gold most of the time
- The smuggler's lanterns seem to be the only item of any value(400k), which can only be stolen via a smuggler's edge
- 120 Stealing skill must be REAL skill, any skill from items will not count. With less skill the chances drop quickly and dramatically and at below 100 real stealing skill you cannot get a lantern at all.

So with those stats you're looking at having to hit fresh targets about 5000 times before you get a lantern, or in other words you really can't go "farm" lanterns at any rate which makes financial sense(mining makes 10x more for the time investment). In actuality, if you are killing creatures for other items such as feathers, you're looking at 1 lantern per 5k kills so they are pretty hard to get now.

I haven't tried on any other creature, perhaps magical or harder creatures will yield better results?

There seems to be a lantern craze going on, lanterns in general seem to be in high demand. The lantern you get from begging is the only one I know that stays lit on a vendor and the rest just "look pretty". The lanterns from Smuggler's Edge attempts are spell channeling and come in 50 different hues making them somewhat collectible, I have no idea if any are rare and I'm not going to kill a bazillion harpies to find out.

On the bright side, the warrior can virtually afk and as long as he doesn't run out of bandages he'll stay alive just fine. Not recommended however, someone is bound to come by and page on you or get you killed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:47:45 AM by Gemviper »

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »
*UPDATE WITH PICS* cuz pics or it didn't happen right?

While at harpies I found I was killing stuff too fast with my trained warrior so I swapped out for some lower level skills, including 50 swords, just so that I could hit things more often before they died. That added some whifs but overall got me more loot too. At 55 sword skill I moved over to the Tokuno champ spawn area to kill lizardmen and beetles, they die easily to the skill levels you see in the pics so I was raising skills while doing just fine getting the rare items.

More things to note:
- While holding the Smuggler's Edge you only need your left hand free, not both, to steal
- You can get the rare items with less than 120 stealing, though my second thief was already 119.2 so that's not too much lower(see pic)
- By killing creatures that yield honor you don't lose Karma overall despite stealing, you slowly gain(see 2nd pic)
- Balm's seem to be the 2nd most common item after gold though you will see some scrolls/potions/gems too, which I dumped
- You don't need elite gear, as you can see in the pic I used a full virtue armor set so that I wouldn't need to worry about repair
- The rings had STR and DEX but no skill, all skills are real skill in the pics(forgot to click button)
- Decent healing helps, you occasionally get surrounded by lizardmen at the tokuno spawn, you don't need them fumbling your heals. At the level you see in the pics I wasn't fumbling at all, and only getting hit for 3-5 damage per hit with that armor
- The lanterns come in 100 different hues and the same rules apply as for other monster loot with regular stealing
- See more info on monster loot here: http://www.uoguide.com/Monster_Stealables
- The lanterns and tool kits can ONLY be had while fighting with the smuggler's edge equipped
- Value: I think the 400k for the lanterns being mentioned is low, there are never any on Vendor Search so name your price so to speak. Also, I immediately sold the toolbox to a friend for 20m, it creates lockpicks and has 10 charges but like tree stumps it regenerates a charge every day. It's not a common item by any stretch and given that there is no mechanic in game to obtain a smuggler's edge right now if you get a tool box you can set your price and it will be met.

I got both a lantern and a tool box after spending roughly 25 minutes at the tokuno spawn and killing close to 200 lizardmen(they die in 4-8 swings depending on misses)

The pics

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
smuggler-edge.jpg
smuggler-lantern.jpg
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:42:07 PM by Gemviper »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »
*UPDATE WITH PICS* cuz pics or it didn't happen right?

- Value: I think the 400k for the lanterns being mentioned is low, there are never any on Vendor Search so name your price so to speak. Also, I immediately sold the toolbox to a friend for 20m, it creates lockpicks and has 10 charges but like tree stumps it regenerates a charge every day. It's not a common item by any stretch and given that there is no mechanic in game to obtain a smuggler's edge right now if you get a tool box you can set your price and it will be met.

Wow prices always go up over time I believe I have 6 or 7 of those toolboxes hanging around my house, and a couple smugglers edges as well.... they used to be commonly available items at one point.

Good info thanks.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:44 AM »
Just another update, the math suggests it *should* take 5000 or so kills but they seem to drop based on time as well. I was getting 1 per hour earlier today, almost to the minute, over a 5 hour span.

I put all 5 lanterns on a vendor for 2.5 million each and they sold in 45 minutes, there are none on vendor search. By using it at a champ spawn you stretch out the easy first wave forever and get a few extra SoTs too. If you do it at the Tokuno spawn and cut lizardman corpses as you go you'll get a nice stack of leather to sell or donate for cleanup points. 2 raw hides = 1 point, and the balms give a good sum too.

I was just trying to see if I could also get stealing gains on a 3rd thief, you don't.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:54:14 AM by Gemviper »

Offline Neireid

• Activity:
    0%
  • Neireid has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:47 AM »
I am up to 44 different colors of lanterns. They are really cool looking all stacked up and lit. Luck does help for me. At times when i hit the statue making my luck around 2500, I get lanterns. Other days without the statue, when my base is 1620 I get them as well. Each day seems different. Usually I can get 1 lantern in 30 minutes and one morning, I got 4 in one hour. Go figure the system....

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
I put some of my duplicate lanterns up on my vendor for 5M each yesterday, they are all gone today. Someone out there loves lanterns.

Offline Neireid

• Activity:
    0%
  • Neireid has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 03:08:03 PM »
what shard?

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »
Atlantic, I'm guessing all sold in one shot so probably one buyer.

Tags: