Author Topic: TrailMyx's Next Generation File System (TM_NGFS)  (Read 58281 times)

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: My new filesystem - first look
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 09:54:49 AM »
And once loading the set they are resident in memory and can be accessed.....effing brilliant!

TM...bah, you already know what I'm going to say...

:D

Ok, gonna keep asking questions, eventually TM will login and say "WTF?!?!"

So when would I use the "ReadItem" sub?

Is the "DoesSaveExist" sub essentially give me the simple way of seeing if I already saved a var set for this #CHARID, so for example:

gosub TM_NGFS_DoesSaveExist XIIxMiner
If ! #RESULT
   gosub TM_NGFS_InitializeScript XIIxMiner
Else
   gosub TM_NGFS_LoadVariables

...or something like that?

What is the description for the SummarizeFS and SumarizeMemory subs, do these simply display either the saved variable set or the current runtime values?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to wrap my head around these so I can implement in the miner 3.0.

X
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:08:04 AM by 12TimesOver »
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Scrripty

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
Finally someone else to pester TM.  And you have a blue name, he might not blow you off like he does me. :)  I don't know, I just figured out how to use the filesystem.  The does save exist is exactly like you said, I've used it for checking to see if a character has previously saved variables in the slots I've assigned the script, and if not, run the initial setup. :)  Or if saveexit #false, load setup menu... :)  Or check to see if save exits and display an option, Display yesno This script has previously saved data, use it?

Scrripty

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »
Now you see why I pimp this out.  I save THOUSANDS of variables with it quicker than I could with anything else... saving and loading a HUGE rail with 3 variables PER SPOT takes no time at all.  And my personal version saves like 8 variables per spot, cause I'm adding in rail spot info.  Like at rail20 check loop count, if > 3, load offshoot rail and follow it for 1 loop, then continue and reset loop counter. :)  Thanks to Cerveza giving me horrible ideas that annoy me, and make me work on this too hard. heh

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
Another question.. If the "script name" already exists and I "gosub TM_NGFS_InitializeScript" with the same name as the existing will this overwrite the existing with a blank of the same name?

In other words,

gosub TM_NGFSDoesSaveExist XIIxMining
If #RESULT
   {
   display yesno It looks like you've used this script before. Would you like to use the settings saved from your last session?
   if #dispres = yes
      {
      gosub TM_NGFS_LoadVariables
      return
      }
      if #dispres = no
         gosub TM_NGFS_InitializeScript XIIxMining
   }

Scrripty

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
I asked TM the exact same question and it's yes.  If you overwrite variables, they are overwritten.

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
Sorry I forgot my tethering phone today, so I'm using other methods to internet connect....

I'm not going to change the basics of what's implemented now.  I will only add utilities and functionality as it comes up.   So these should be good to go in their basic form.

Okie, before I go all haywire on trying to sloth through learning to implement these subs, are they ready for use? Having just read through the thread, TM, it sounds like you've abandoned them for the time being. Are they fully functional?

I simply want to be able to store a bunch of vars in a single reg entry per #CharID rather than having 30-50 generic persistent's. Does that sound doable? I'll start reading more closely and playing around with them tonight if so. I would much rather use the TM subs than the CEO filesystem (personal vendetta)!

Thanks mucho!

X
Exactly how it works now. 

Sorry, I'm kinda in the middle of work right now and between meetings.  So I'll have to answer your questions in more detail later this evening after I fix my stuck sprinkler valve....  Not water at the house at the moment...

Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »
Actually, there might be one little change coming, but it won't impact you too much.  I still want you to be able to support more than one save/load set per script.  Right now it's kinda hardwired to whatever you have initialized.  If I decided to make the change, I'll try and make it painless or nearly so.

I might not even worry about it.  One load/save make sense.  And you can have more than one if you know what you are doing with the existing code.  So I'll think about it more.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
Seriously if you just change over all the existing stuff to FS2, it's all good TM.  No need to go the extra mile and add multi save whatever... :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
Seriously if you just change over all the existing stuff to FS2, it's all good TM.  No need to go the extra mile and add multi save whatever... :)

I started working on the bridging routines between the original FS and the NGFS.  Also going to write some supporting routines for file system management (i.e. delete NGFS entry, etc.)

So this will also have export/import capability for those who want to move data from computer to computer.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
Thats how its done.  I knew if I got a blue or red name on bord we'd sé some work outta you on this.  Nice work 12x.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
Thats how its done.  I knew if I got a blue or red name on bord we'd sé some work outta you on this.  Nice work 12x.  ;D

Ah well, I started working on it last weekend but I didn't want to get you too excited.  We know how you are.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
Another question.. If the "script name" already exists and I "gosub TM_NGFS_InitializeScript" with the same name as the existing will this overwrite the existing with a blank of the same name?

Since NGFS entries are indexed with the script name *AND* character ID, you can actually have the same script name on different characters.  The only time you'll overwrite a data set is if you are saving to the same script name on the same character.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »
And once loading the set they are resident in memory and can be accessed.....effing brilliant!

Not only loaded, but loaded into their respective namespace/variable locations.  All with one load!

Don't worry about the SummarizeFS and SumarizeMemory functions.  Those were there as I was developing them NGFS viewer and will disappear from the NGFS base function list.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
Since NGFS entries are indexed with the script name *AND* character ID, you can actually have the same script name on different characters.  The only time you'll overwrite a data set is if you are saving to the same script name on the same character.
That's perfect. I am doing that to overwrite settings if a user doesn't want to use saved settings.

I think I've got the basics on these subs, really not that difficult. And I see by the way you setup the for loop that there really is no limit to the number of variables that you can pass with a single call.

X

Scrripty

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
I told u guys they were easy. ;D