Scripting Resources & Utilities > Bug discussion

Auto revert?

(1/4) > >>

12TimesOver:
Morning,

Issue - made modifications to a script, got pulled away for a little while, came back and my changes had been reverted back. I tested this a couple of times with the same result. Unfortunately, because of RL and kids, etc I never was able to narrow down how long it took for the changes to revert but this happened several times.

Fortunately I had only changed three lines of code without saving, LOL!

Let me know if there is more info I can put together, I'll try to test again today with the hope of narrowing down the time it takes to revert the text. I also don't know if this was related to inactivity verse just a period of time going by.

XII

TrailMyx:

--- Quote from: 12TimesOver on July 28, 2008, 02:42:33 AM ---Morning,

Issue - made modifications to a script, got pulled away for a little while, came back and my changes had been reverted back. I tested this a couple of times with the same result. Unfortunately, because of RL and kids, etc I never was able to narrow down how long it took for the changes to revert but this happened several times.

Fortunately I had only changed three lines of code without saving, LOL!

Let me know if there is more info I can put together, I'll try to test again today with the hope of narrowing down the time it takes to revert the text. I also don't know if this was related to inactivity verse just a period of time going by.

XII

--- End quote ---

So that's just 1) make changes.  2) walk away?  Wow, I can't even begin to think of what's going on there since this is an event-based program.  Yes, please lemme know if you find any more information about that.

Also, check and see if a ".bak" file was created with your missing information....

TrailMyx:
I've got a couple experiments running now, but so far nothing strange like what you are seeing.  Was it long code?  Did you run any of the features, or can you do this just by loading a script, making a change and then walking away?

12TimesOver:
I'll do some more testing. Funny thing is there have been several occasions where I've opened a script up to continue editing and said "That's wierd, I thought i changed that" but never thought anything about it.

The script I was playing with was my rewrite of SM's Library donator. In fact, the reason I noticed to begin with was because of my search for a string (see other thread) in which I modified each returned value. Then I went on to work on other things as I was cooking dinner, etc but it was a couple hours before I got back to it. The "Save File" button was greyed out and a search for the string which I modified revealed my modifications no longer existed.

I also have a bad habit of closing files and clicking "Yes" at the "Do you want to save your file" message which didn't pop up like it usually does. With that in mind, this could easily be a combination of user error with a program "functional process" issue.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

XII

12TimesOver:
Aha, I figured it out. The reason I discovered it is due to my inappropriate reliance on text editors to warn me to save when I close them rather than saving before Closing the app.

The bug is that hitting Cancel in the Find/Replace window resets the "file has been modified" logic so that the program doesn't recognize it is having been edited. I am losing my work because, like an idiot, I just close the app and expect to hit "Yes, I'm an idiot and I want you to save my work before you close" button. Because I didn't recall that I hadn't saved my work yet it never occurred to me that the message didn't pop up when I closed even though I hadn't saved yet.

Does that make sense?

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open a script or create a new one
2) Modify the script
3) Note that the "Quick Save" icon is active but don't save the file yet
4) Open the Find/Replace window
5) Hit "Cancel" in the Find/Replace window
6) Notice that the "Quick Save" icon is now inactive (grey). The application doesn't know that the file still hasn't been saved.

XII

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version