Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death! Need Help!  (Read 3110 times)

Offline OracleTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Blue Screen of Death! Need Help!
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »
Help!
My daughter walked up to me this morning with my Laptop in her hands and it was on the blue screen of death.  It had something about a STOP and a problem with atapi.sys.  I re-booted it and it went into Windows.  I was relieved...for 5 minutes, then it went to the blue screen again!  I booted it into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and ran CHKDSK /f  It seems to hang on Stage 2 of 3 verifying indexes at 0%.  I really do not want to format this HD and start over.  Is there a program that I can download from another computer that will help fix this problem?  Change the Bios to start the CD first.  

The computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop.  

Also since I started CHKDSK it keeps trying to run CHKDSK each time I re-boot the compuer and freezes at the same point...

Blue Screen Technical Information:

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x0X86D27DAD, 0x86D27F14, 0x8060567E)

HELP!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:40:14 PM by Oracle »
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Screen of Death! Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
atapi.sys  ... Carnt really rember but isnt that a cdrom loader
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Blue Screen of Death! Need Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:47:02 PM »
yup...should be related to a CD-ROM driver...could be due to a driver update (sometimes due to Automatic Windows Updates)...those are the most common culprits...see if you can rollback your cd-rom driver, or try manually updating your driver
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: