Author Topic: Verizon forcing people off their grandfatered unlimited plans  (Read 7684 times)

Online TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Verizon forcing people off their grandfatered unlimited plans
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
This may be the straw that broke the camels back for me with Verizon.  There's no way to select your old data plan when you try to upgrade an existing accounts phone.  They are forcing you off the grandfathered unlimited data plans.

I guess it's time to find another carrier.  I've been with them since the early days of Airtouch from around '94.  I had a T-mobile account for a bit, but it wasn't great.

So Verizon sucks now.  Shoot.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon forcing people off their grandfatered unlimited plans
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
Dang that sucks. I've had ATT forever and am currently shopping around. I was thinking Sprint for the unlimited.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
Dang that sucks. I've had ATT forever and am currently shopping around. I was thinking Sprint for the unlimited.

If it wasn't for Sprints pathetic coverage, I'd be all over that.  However, in my present state, that's the best option.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
This may be the straw that broke the camels back for me with Verizon.  There's no way to select your old data plan when you try to upgrade an existing accounts phone.  They are forcing you off the grandfathered unlimited data plans.

I guess it's time to find another carrier.  I've been with them since the early days of Airtouch from around '94.  I had a T-mobile account for a bit, but it wasn't great.

So Verizon sucks now.  Shoot.

They did that *bleep* with me BUT I learned if you pay full price for the phone you won't have to do another contract so you can keep your grandfathered. The key is avoiding the contract signing at all costs.

I learned that after the fact. Long story short I said some bad words and canceled my service.

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
Yeah, i was forced off my plan due to that also.  But in the long run it saved me a bit more money when i added a couple more phones to my plan.  I went over to Unlimited Minutes and 8 GB of data and didn't cost any more that what i was with 1500 minutes and unlimited data on all the phones.  Just told my wife to stop streaming netflix without being connected to a wifi. lol
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
They offered me a 6 GB plan for the price of 4 GB.  I didn't take it because I feel the need to pitch a fit.  Lol.  No worries, i didn't really need a new phone anyhow, just an unfortunate discovery when going through the process.  The LG G2 doesn't allow for wireless rooted hotspots at the moment anyhow.

I really hate when companies get really greedy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:52:21 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
This is why i stick to the pay as you go carriers... Anything on a contract just locks you in with the incentive of a discounted phone that you end up paying 2x-4x+ over the period of the contract anyways.

Unlimited 4g data on MetroPCS, Net10, virgin and others... is  $40-60 a month.  They use the big guys networks your just getting it for cheaper.   So I would asy go with one of those that piggyback on the best network in your area

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »
I have not tried it yet. But I am planning on switching to Wal-Mart's wireless program called Straight Talk. Gives you 2.5 Meg at full speed then unlimited data after that at 2g. At $40/month its hard to say no.
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »
I have not tried it yet. But I am planning on switching to Wal-Mart's wireless program called Straight Talk. Gives you 2.5 Meg at full speed then unlimited data after that at 2g. At $40/month its hard to say no.

Straight Talk piggybacks off Sprint towers. I know several with it and they get really great coverage depending on your area and they offer some really cool phones. 

Unfortunately I live in the forgotten part of America where Verizon has all the towers and not 1 company can piggyback from them right now. A phone is useless if it doesn't have coverage and i'm not giving another penny to Verizon.

A side note, I'm not sure what network those Obama phones are on but my ex can reach me from the pits of hell.  :'(

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »

Thats not owed by walmart they just sell it ... Straigthtalk, simplemobile, net10, tracphone  + other pre-paid phone services are all owned by a mexican telecom mongol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless

A side note, I'm not sure what network those Obama phones are on but my ex can reach me from the pits of hell.  Cry

safelink  also by above
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:35:32 PM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
I ended up going with T-mobile and buying a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store.  Neat phone - incredible really.  Service seems to be pretty good for me too here in my area.  Good bye Verizon...  You suck.  lol
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »
I just recently got T-mobile, coverage in my house is slow, but overall good most other places, the bonus is cell phone calls over wifi, t-mobile doesn't care about how many minutes you actually use if your unlimited, so calling over wifi is unlocked. Works great wherever I have Wifi access.

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »
Metro PCS and use an android phone. Coverage sucks but I use hotspots for the most part anyways.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 07:07:36 AM »

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:08:47 AM »
I think Bookwyrm meant 2.5G.  But we still get the shaft when it comes to prices here in the States when it comes to cell phone and internet access. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: