Author Topic: Whammy/Tamer YEAH BABY!  (Read 10629 times)

Offline CoraginTopic starter

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Whammy/Tamer YEAH BABY!
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:36:43 AM »
Okay, while playing my whammy, I thought, man it would be GREAT to have a greater with me!  And to have some kind of defensive too!!  So I thought about my whammy.

1. I dont use weapon specials, only bushido lightning strike.
2. If I could invis and have this thing attack a dragon instead of me, it would ROCK!

So I came up with this template, let me know what you think.  I am considering buying another char slot to build this.  It comes out to 705 total skill with not skill rings or talismans ect.

Animal Taming   115 (Obvious)
Animal Lore           115 (to have 99% control over dragons and Cu's ect)
Vet              110 (Duh, heal pet, could even go lower and add necro)
Magery      115-120 (115, cause I got one, 120 if I can ever get one, this is your main weapon skill) Mage Weapon
Tactics      100 (enhanced dmg, can lower to 80-90 to add necro)
Bushido      50 (For lightning strike, could replacewith chiv for EoO and CW)
Spirit Speak   100 (for heals if needed, and for Whammy to work)

So an alternative to this template could be...

Animal Taming   115
Animal Lore           115
Vet              100
Magery      115-120
Tactics      90
Chivalry      50 (would need rings with chiv to get EoO to cast well, can move while healing)
Spirit Speak   100
Necro                20 (Midnight bracer/jewels to go into wraith form)

Now, I designed each of these templates to work with little or no extra skill needed from jewels, so you can build a suit both geared towards tamer AND whammy.  Obviously you will be counting on mage jewels/gear to counteract the mage weapon penalty.  Although there are some out there that do have 0 skill, but no SSI, we can discuss gear.

Okay so with these templates in mind here is what I am thinking:

Myself being a major tamer, have two problems all the time when fighting peerless or doom. 

1. I am always getting hit by an AE, which causes me to get targeted for a short while, and Im toast with no weapon skill.
2. no way to fight off adds that come in since I am a bard tamer.  If a LL pops on DF Im toast.  So, I have 0 defensive at all.

With those two in mind while playing my whammy I thought of the above.

Pros:
1. High weapon skill via mage weapon and can use any kind of weapon, bow, swords, mace ect.
2. Defensive if you get targeted till you can invis and let drag continue tanking.
3. You can cross heal drag while fighting via mele or bow.
4. Dont need a lot of mana due to Wraith form. So you can have high dex for swings. and curse weapon for heals when needed.
5. Having pets fight with you!  Lots of dps!
6. Can still honor and get to perfection. 
7. Heal pet from a distance with chiv and magery weapon bow.

Cons:
1. No weapon special moves (I dont use them as it is with my whammy)
2. less defensive since no parry skill.
3. Lower mana pool than normal tamers due to dex.
4. Less chiv and necro due to points being used.
5. No mana regen except in combat.
6. Harder to build a balanced suit.

I am going to test this I think depending on feedback.

Suit:

For a suit, your going to want a mix of both LRC/High Resists, Sta Regen, LMC, ect.  Kiss luck goodbye.

Basicly your going to look for high resists, with LRC/LMC, pretty much any mod you can add to int/mana, hp/str, sta dex.

Talisman: Pretty simple, Premier on Arms for the DI
Jewels: Magery mods, +10 or more on each, adding in Dmg inc or defensive inc, hci ect if you can get them.
Armor: LMC/LRC, STR, INT, DEX, DCI, Sta Regen (or refresh pots). 

Now, keeping in mind, you are PART Whammy not ALL Whammy!  You are sacrificing defensive for having extra dps with a pet, but you are also able to let pet tank from a distance while you plug arrows or even fight face to face.  But your pet is meant to tank the big guys, while you can kill of adds and add in a good amount of dps yourself.  If you need to run in to heal your pet, you can and survive whirlwind attacks ect and gain hps from curse weapon if you are getting it.  But this template it NOT built to sustain a battle with a peerless solo, only to SURVIVE if your attacked by these creatures.  And you can fight NORMAL creatures such as lich lords, rotting corpse, poison ele, probably balrons one on one should the need arise.  Remember, this is a hybrid of two templates, so you wont be the best at whammy, but you will be able to stand and fight unlike most tamers out there.  You will be giving up a LARGE portion of Whammy dps and defensive ability in return for havign a greater dragon, cu, beetle, bake, mare ect fight with you.  Dropping things ALOT faster.  But your pet is meant to tank the big things, so keep a bow handy for those fights.  Things like greater drags, balrons, ect should all be able to be survived on your own.  Still better to let pet tank if possible.

Pets:

Greater Drag: Obvious, biggest tank, most dps, most hps
Cu: Good tank, heals itself, HEALS YOU, no magery
Rune Beetle: ok tank for dungeon fighting, poison resist is nice, coupled with a mare or bake rules! Good for clearing champ spawns.
Bakes: Good for clearing champ spawns, high dps, LOW defensive vs doom/peerless, also add in the above.
Mares: Same as above.

Overall if you are going more defensive than offensive, use a cu when you can.  Since they can heal themselfs and you.  If you want massive dps output but no tank-ability go with rune/bake, rune/mare, two bakes, two mares.  If you want a massive tank that is dumber than a box of rocks but will do massive dps and take hits well, greater dragon.

In closing, if you can take out a greater drag, blood ele, poison ele, ancient wyrm, balron EASY on your current Whammy, they should be somewhat easy on this template, but you will need to withstand more fighting and more healing as your defensive will be lacking.  If you can take out a peerless/champ/DF on your current whammy, you wont be able to with this setup without your pet.  But you will withstand temporary hits and be able to run in and heal pet with vet and not be killed instantly.

Thoughts?
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: Whammy/Tamer YEAH BABY!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »
I like the concept, most of us will be working with 720 skill points, and it would make things alot easier if you could add in Faction items as well ;)

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:42:47 AM »
Well, I am building as we speak, I will keep people posted.  But I am on Origin and there isint much in the way of good bows with SC/MW, gonna have to heartwood quest and make my own.  Also the availability of rings/bracelets sucks too.  Theres a few real nice one on other servers, but I dont have any char there to gain cash and transfer them.  But IF someone wants to buy them for me and transfer to origin, I will pay well lol.

How about discussing gear? 

And a few questions.

do you need spell channeling for necro spells?  Or is it only magery?  Cause if its only magery, I will not worry so much about SC cause I will have chiv to heal ect.  Balanced means you can drink a potion with bow equipped right?

And finally, what would you guys think is better to focus on?  Defense Chance, Hit Chance or dmg Increase?  This is the template I am going with, starting from scratch...

Animal Taming   110 (99% control with lore at 110)
Animal Lore           110
Vet              100 (100% cure at this level)
Magery      115 (Cant find a 120 scroll)
Tactics      70 (Gives good dmg bonus and extra skill points for other skills)
Necromancy   20 (Curse Weapon will cast with reliability)
Spirit Speak   100 (Curse weapon lasts longer, more mana/life leech)
Chivalry           80 (Heals, EoO, CW, Whirlwind ect)

I think this will work fine.

Went with Elf for the extra energy resist and mana bonus.  Stats will be at 250 base...

Str 100
Dex 125
Int 25

With mana bonus from elf and gear with mana and lich form, should be fine in the way of mana.
Coragin

My Facebook

Offline kllrgenius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • kllrgenius has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:00:16 AM »
You won't need spell channeling for necro spells...only magery. look slike an interesting template ...please keep us updated  ;D

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:07:48 AM »
And finally, what would you guys think is better to focus on?  Defense Chance, Hit Chance or dmg Increase?  This is the template I am going with, starting from scratch...

Animal Taming   110 (99% control with lore at 110)
Animal Lore           110
Vet              100 (100% cure at this level)
Magery      115 (Cant find a 120 scroll)
Tactics      70 (Gives good dmg bonus and extra skill points for other skills)
Necromancy   20 (Curse Weapon will cast with reliability)
Spirit Speak   100 (Curse weapon lasts longer, more mana/life leech)
Chivalry           80 (Heals, EoO, CW, Whirlwind ect)

Ok first off. YOUR NOT A WHAMMY, go change the title of the first post. Psaw, whammy/tamer my left cheek. This is a Wraith Tamer period.

Now, since your NOT a whammy and you have NO samurai abilities, you won't be able to rely on Lightning Strike to handle your hit chance. You plan on having a pet do all your tanking for you, so you can lean more on Hit Chance + Damage over Defense.

Now last item. You have NO archery. As I recall, you will NOT be able to use special moves. Remember that Archery is a bit different then other weapons when it comes to "use best weapon" and "mage weapon".

Before you do this, build it on test and check everything out before spending the time.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • It Is What It Is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:27:34 AM »

Animal Taming   110 (99% control with lore at 110)
Animal Lore           110
Vet              100 (100% cure at this level)
Magery      115 (Cant find a 120 scroll)
Tactics      70 (Gives good dmg bonus and extra skill points for other skills)
Necromancy   20 (Curse Weapon will cast with reliability)
Spirit Speak   100 (Curse weapon lasts longer, more mana/life leech)
Chivalry           80 (Heals, EoO, CW, Whirlwind ect)

Ok first off. YOUR NOT A WHAMMY, go change the title of the first post. Psaw, whammy/tamer my left cheek. This is a Wraith Tamer period.

Now, since your NOT a whammy and you have NO samurai abilities, you won't be able to rely on Lightning Strike to handle your hit chance. You plan on having a pet do all your tanking for you, so you can lean more on Hit Chance + Damage over Defense.

Now last item. You have NO archery. As I recall, you will NOT be able to use special moves. Remember that Archery is a bit different then other weapons when it comes to "use best weapon" and "mage weapon".

Before you do this, build it on test and check everything out before spending the time.

Your right.  I am reworking this to add in 50 Bushido, gonna see what I can do.  Will keep you guys updated.
Coragin

My Facebook

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:34:01 AM »
Mage Weapon bows work just fine but you still don't get specials with them.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:14:46 AM »
I hate to tell you, but at 20 Necro your gonna miss curse weapon a lot! Remember, you are counting on UO's RNG to hit it, and it SUCKS....want proof..go wear a LRC suit with 99 LRC. You should hit 99/100 times, but that wont happen...I almost guarentee you will miss 1 or 2 outta 10. So, when you NEED curse weapon the most, you are going to fail. At least you will be using a archer and be able to stand back a bit...but then...that will negate your Vetranary for healing your pet.

I am with Cerveza all the way on this...I would most deffinatly make this char on test and try it out before I spent the time and gold to make this char.

Toptwo
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • It Is What It Is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:45 AM »
Yep, I am reworking it big time.  Might be dropping a bit of tactics and or something else from here and there to get the bushido needed as well as the necro needed too.  Like I said its a hybrid, so not gonna be the BEST at whammy, but will be a tamer, can stand one space behind pet with bow vetting, getting hit with a whirlwind will be healed.  Might drop some chiv, EoO isint needed really, bushido will get more hits, keep chiv high enough for heals and cures.  Obviously relying on potions as well. 

This will be trial and error here, however, I do have two accounts, so I can do like I do with my two tamers.  I send in both dragons, one tamer goes in and cross heals both dragons while the other stands back and heals the other tamer and invises the other tamer if he gets hit.  The tamer in the thick of things has an all 70's suit and DCI, so he can take the hits.

With this template, it would add to that and be able to do a bit more.  Like I said, trial and error, tamers are easy, whammys are harder, so it will take a bit to get it all right, but it will work better than just a regular tamer.
Coragin

My Facebook

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »
So break it down to basics... you only want necro/ss so you can mana leech in wraith form?

You want it so you can curse weapon?

I'd think leaving all that off, getting a good Mana Leech weapon and going full 4/6 Chiv might be a better choice.

Chiv offers big damage (EoO), heal/cure/stamina recovery, travel, evil protection, area effect damage... lots of stuff. And it's only one skill to work on.

Lay down the fundamentals of what you want to accomplish with the char. Make it a simple, short list, then look at it and figure out how to accomplish it.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »
That's a good suggestion Cerveza to test a template like that out on TC.  It would be a shame to invest all the time and effort gearing up someone.  I do wish there was a way to automatically "craft" items of your particular choosing like rings/bracelets.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
set bracelet FC=2 FCR=3 resist_poison=5 HCI=15 DCI=15

You mean you can't do that on your account?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »
lol, never tried.  I'd more like:

set cheeze_pizza true
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »
110  Taming
120  Lore
100  Vet
70  Chivalry
120  Bushido
120  Magery/WeaponSkill
55 Tactics/Anatomy
25 Necro  (may need more.. whatever is enough for wraithform to not bump you out of form after you take book/talis etc. off)

Would be best to go the weaponskill route and then use dual/tripple skill jewelry to throw more into tactics/anatomy.

That's what I would do.  Bad part is you would be limited to fightning creatures that don't switch targets.  Which takes out anything that has necro, and high end bosses I believe.  Maybe good for AFK luck hunting to speed up kill speed.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »

Human:
110 Taming
120 Lore
90 Vet
120 Swords
100 Tactics
120 Bushido
60 Chiv

Carry Gear to change into Wraith. Orny, plus Decent 1/3 Ring, Faction Stormgrips, HCI DI Talisman, Fey Leggings, Rune Beetle Carapace, Kick ass Arms and Gorget, 1 Handed so you can Chug Pots, with a nice FC 1 Weapon.

Could go With a balanced bow and use archery instead and let the Pet take the Heat, But I just "Love" Whirlwind......  ;D
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Tags: