Author Topic: Internet Media Devices  (Read 13997 times)

Offline KhameleonTopic starter

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Internet Media Devices
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
+1
ok, So I bought a few tv's and Hung them on the walls in the kids room, I ran Power up so no ugly wires also their is no cable in their room, and I don't feel like paying the cable company another 20 bucks to use there cable box's...

so I want know what everyone uses for tv Streaming Devices...

I have a Roku 2 XS, that I use in the Main Living room, and I just bought a Chrome stick.. I've only used the Chrome stick for like 20 minutes and there seems to be a lot of Buffering issues with my Ipad Mini.  I assume they connect to eachother Via My Router?

Anyway.. I'd like to know what everyone uses Pro's and Cons for each device.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Media Devices
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
+1
I just use my game systems. I think the old wi's are pretty cheap now and can run netflix, hulu, etc.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
+1
I have a few set up.
1) WII to run NetFlex ( via wireless)
2) Old X BOX to watch Movie from NAS ( use hard wire) those are run along the wall baseboard and heating system ( hot water pipe to get between room )
3) Laptop conneted HDMI to watch HD movie.. Follow the same route as #2.  baseboard.

WD notebook have a app you can use to bronze your drive wireless. 3TG go for $150 on sale.

I'm movie into a new house in Feb.  Not sure the owner will allow me to drill hole in the wall,  I will need so idea as well. 

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
+1
yeah, I want something small that I can strap to the back of the tv.... no wires no entertainment sysystem.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
+1
So far I have used:

Ouya - XBMC
Raspberry PI - XBMC (2x A+, 1x B+)
3x Roku - Plex, PlayON, Amazon Prime, paid channels
2x Chromecast - just YouTube
Fire Stick - Plex, Amazon Prime
Win7 Atom HTPC - WMC, XBMC

I have a cheap quad-core Android media box coming to play with.

So far, the best and most useful has been the Roku.  I do like the Fire Stick also, but it doesn't have as many channels.  The RPI actually had pretty good XBMC, but just can't handle Dolby stereo and 1080p video very well.

So each one of these have their merits, but on a daily basis I use my Roku and Fire Stick.  I don't use anything but Amazon Prime so I don't know how Netflix is these days.  They lost me as a customer forever.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
+1
I have 2 Minix Neo X8-H boxes on each of my TVs. The wife loves them (which is impressive in-and-of-itself) and we just got 2 wireless keyboards (keypads really) to use with it. The wireless router in my house is still the weak link so once I improve that (or suck it up and wire them all in), it'll be even better. We pretty much just use Netflix and occasional Youtube or Pandora.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:58:01 PM »
+1
Did you ever investigate the powerline ethernet adapters?  I use these very successfully throughout my house.  I have the 300mbps versions of this:

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Gigabit-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00D7GF6NA/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1419749892&sr=8-24&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter

I very easily stream 1080p video with this setup, plus on the receiving end I have an ethernet router to connect the entire cluster of items (XBOX 360, PS3, HTPC, Roku, Denon AV, Bluray).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:00:12 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
+1
I ended up buying a Roku Stick at target today it was only like 50 bucks.. its slow and sorta clunky compared to my roku 2 xs. but its for the kids room.

I definitely want to buy a roku 3 soon though.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
+1
SO since we seen to help Khameleon .  here a new question.   

I'm looking for a VPN support any suggestion. My new provider is a snitch on what we are doing on the internet.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
+1
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless-Internet-Security-Firewall/dp/B00433101I

It's a bit of a PITA to setup for VPN, but has an amazing array of configurability.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »
+1
This is the VPn i've used for a number of years without issues.

www.boxpn.com
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:02:09 AM »
+1
I ended up buying a Roku Stick at target today it was only like 50 bucks.. its slow and sorta clunky compared to my roku 2 xs. but its for the kids room.

I definitely want to buy a roku 3 soon though.
Since we're talking about the kids' room/s...

I just setup a Fire Stick last night to test it out and it works slick as *bleep*. The difference between the Fire Stick and the Chromecast is that there are apps built in rather than being tethered to casting from a device. It also has games that can be played with the remote (or an optional blue tooth game controller), and a remote control Android app.

I see that you already blew more on the Roku stick but I would highly recommend returning it if you can and picking up a Fire Stick from Amazon (much cheaper too) - I think it's perfect for a kids room and that's exactly why I picked this one up (to replace the Chromecasts).

I have a Roku 2 XS as well which I've never even plugged in LOL.

You could also jut bail on the devices and pick up a new 32" Samsung LED SmartTV from DELL for under $200 right now, the kids will love you :P
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »
+1
Ive gone the other way... NO TV in the kids room, I never upgraded the tube boxes and instead chucked them.   Want to watch tv watch it with everyone else...   yes we bicker over what to watch but we come to a communal agreement that i am always right lol   ;)

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
+1
Last weekend was a monumental one.  I chucked my last toob TV.  That was a weird era.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile

Tags: