Author Topic: Questions About Version Numbers  (Read 2905 times)

Offline cgeorgemoTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Questions About Version Numbers
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:13:32 AM »
I'm confused about the numbering system that people use for the scripts.
I mean I understand that version 1 is older than version 2 but how do you decide when to change a version number.
Is it every time you fix a bug and resubmit your script or do you wait and gather a few issues and fix them all at once?
If you do a change to a few subs to streamline them is that worth a jump from say version 1 to version 2?
Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Version Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:04 AM »
Version 1.0 is the first, fully functional version of the script.

Versions 1.1 - 1.9 or even 1.10 - 1.99 are variations of the original to add/change/modify the script, but not so much as to warrant a new version

Version 2.0 is enough of a difference from v1.0 that it deserves a new version number.

That's just my thoughts....
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 07:24:28 AM »
In reality. not saying everyone does this, but it should be similar to this.  version 2.123 lets say.  2. being the actually version of the script and the .123 being updates or upgrades or fixes to that version of the script.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:18:28 AM »
I have no rhyme or reason to my version numbering from script to script.  I've been thinking about moving to a strict numbering system so that I can do math on a version number to select if a script is compatible due to version additional features.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
Whole number = New Feature Release
Decimal Number = Fix to the feature release
Each Decimal place = Fix to a fix (basically)

For example:

1.0 = initial release
1.1 = Fix to a problem or slight enhancement to 1.0
1.11 = Adjustment to the enhancement in 1.1
2.0 = Added a whole new function/feature

Etc
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »
I've also seen people who use dates...

v1.091029 (YYMMDD)
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
I use the same philosophy is Cerv.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:31:20 AM »
No real Rymth or reason But generally

X.y

X = Major updates over a lower X (new features)
y = Minor updates over a Lower Y (old features fixes)

Sometimes ill update X if its a scipt that is only updated very infrequent .. like my GM detector .. updated about once a year so what ever update minor or major it gets a +x

If thiers been a significatant amount of Y increases ill bump to a new X, even if no major new features are added.

Depending on the shift of the moon, the color of the sky, the ambient outside air temperature, what side of the bed i woke up on, if i had my tea yet, how many phone calls i have gotten or other misc infleuences all of the above is chucked out the window and pure random x,y increases decreases can happen.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Superslayer

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
I go along with most everyone here. For instance, my W.I.T. is in version 0.95 Beta. I consider it beta since it does not yet have all the features and rails I plan on including with it, and therefore has not yet adopted the 1.0 version.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
I just increment numbers.  Of course, I'm not nearly as good at scripting as most reading this thread...

:)

Tags: