Author Topic: Greetings from Iolo of Yew  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Iolo of YewTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Iolo of Yew has no influence.
  • Iolo of Yew
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Greetings from Iolo of Yew
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »
Greetings from Iolo of Yew. I am an electronic/video game addict and I have been since my brother got a Coleco Football handheld for Christmas back in the 70's. I have lost countless hours in other worlds and will loose countless more before I leave this earth. It is my escape and I find relaxation and peace in it.

I have been playing Ultima Online since the beta days and actually worked as an intern for Origin in the 80's, all be it on Wing Commander with Chris Roberts not Ultima with Richard Garriott. Also, I have played all the Ultima games but I started with Ultima V. I deeply enjoy the immersive role play of the Ultima series and have not quite found anything like it. It is my opinion that though games have gotten snazzyer (not a word) where the developers create immersion by focusing on physics, polygons, vectors, textures, and interface theatrics, they have lost the art of the cerebral challenge. I much prefer games that challenge me intellectually to games that make me dizzy or ask me to perform controller acrobatics. Ultima has always fit that bill and Ultima Online, with all the myriad of combinations of all kinds of things, is no exception.

So, I was born on Atlantic but switched to Chesapeake when it opened and now play on Legends. I prefer crafting to fighting but I like scrolls, essences and other crafting ingredients so I have developed decent PvM and PvP fighting skills though I am far from great at either. Interestingly, I have recently developed a stealth thief to farm artifacts from the dungeons and find it quite enjoyable. Another tidbit is that once ran a large guild on Chesapeake, Britania's Finest Craftsmen. We had billions of gold and everything that could be had in the game. It is but a shell of its former glory as I stopped playing for a few years and most guildies were lured away by real life or other mmo's and many of our castles and houses dropped when the payment fulfillment mechanisms changed and our accounts stopped being paid. One last thing, I play six accounts and sometimes manage to use all six to solo champ spawns which is actually more challenging then soloing them with just one, though having a stealther mage hanging back to res and heal is nice. Some of my scripting goals (the very lofty ones) are centered around consolidated attacks from multiple accounts. Maybe even healers, fighters, thieves working in tandem. Perhaps these are beyond my skills but perhaps not.

A little more about me, I am a formally educated computer scientist with a strong acumen for writing code. Unfortunately, I took a management route about 20 years ago and have fallen way behind my former code writing colleagues. Nevertheless, I still know enough to be quite dangerous and maybe even get hello world to float above my head. So far, I write, and have for several years, trivial scripts using UO Assist and Razor. I now want to take it to the next level. I have also had a deep yearning to revitalize my coding skills and what better place to start these two tasks then scriptuo? I look forward to working with everyone and I hope to contribute at least one thing of meaning at some point.

Cheers from Iolo of Yew, Neophyte Scripter
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:05:28 AM by Iolo of Yew »
Spam Spam Spam Humbug

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Greetings from Iolo of Yew
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »
Welcome to the world of real scripting!   Hope you enjoy the site.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
  • Iolo of Yew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
Thank you TrailMyx. Cheers.
Spam Spam Spam Humbug

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.6%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:55:25 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
Now that's what I call a good intro and an interesting read :) Welcome aboard!
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

• Activity:
    0%
  • Iolo of Yew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:26 AM »
Thank you Gimlet and Pearls. I am happy to be here.
Spam Spam Spam Humbug

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
Welcome to SUO!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »
Nice intro! Welcome to the community!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
Hello Iolo, thank you for your good made introduction and welcome to Scriptuo :-)

Offline Boydon

• ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Boydon has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »
Very nice introduction and it remembered my about Wing Commander. :D