Author Topic: Plusses and Minuses Of a Total Revert  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Plusses and Minuses Of a Total Revert
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:42 AM »
Instead of filling up the chat box .. how about expressing your opinions here...  Not that it will probrably make any difference as its a no-win situation for EA now ... if they were going to do a total revert yesterday was the day... to late now.  Every hour that passes makes the odds of a total revert smaller and smaller as more and more player time would be lost.. total revert now would be someones job on the block + they would have to give up a entire months revenue .. hard pill to swallow.

I'm anti total revert... I know some people lost a tonn in transfers etc.  I also lost a tonn from what i was doing and a tonn of manul attended hours of work so 'm not happy.  But a total revert will restore thsose who transfered into atlantic and lost chars and stuff... but will destroy 2 weeks of Every other players time.  Sadly the lessor of 2 evils is to not revert.  But that means some of us get burned and some gain but a small some.

What say yea....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:38:30 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Plusses and Minuses Of a Total Revert
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:19:25 AM »
I'm probably not the best person to comment, because I'm too busy being relieved that I didn't lose anything in the revert of Atlantic...

Wait, unless the revert hasn't happened yet?

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:23:19 AM »
One of the reasons i play siege is not to have any transfers!

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:01 AM »
i know they probably wont but I am holding on and hoping that they go into their transfer logs and start to replace items and characters.  that would make this survivable.  anyone that xfered off and has duped stuff, so be it.  it wont be anything game changing even if it is a billion in gold.  anyone that lost that, it is soul crushing and they need to at least go in and do the transfer logs, give a make any character you want token or something.

Offline KaliOfLS

• That's "Dr." Kali to you!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • KaliOfLS has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:29:29 AM »
I've never seen 1,000,000,000 gold :(  or 100,000,000 or 10,000,000.. wait, I've at least seen that one.

I think the revert is going to gloriously f some people, but in the end, those that were able to acquire that in 2 weeks... I mean the game is suppose to be fun to play and acquiring that should have been fun, and you should be able to acquire that again.  On the other side, those that duped and duped, cheated their way to that loot.  They won't be able to re-do it after the revert, so I think it's best to revert.

I hope that makes sense what I'm trying to say. 
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 
^ real life signature for sure

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »
I could be wrong but i dont believe a dupe could be limited to just one shard. I honestly think it had to be a hardware issue. If they do fix characters stuck in xfer limbo then they did the right thing.

Also heard this morning transfered characters are slowly appearing either on destination shard or back on home shard.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
I've never seen 1,000,000,000 gold :(  or 100,000,000 or 10,000,000.. wait, I've at least seen that one.

I think the revert is going to gloriously f some people, but in the end, those that were able to acquire that in 2 weeks... I mean the game is suppose to be fun to play and acquiring that should have been fun, and you should be able to acquire that again.  On the other side, those that duped and duped, cheated their way to that loot.  They won't be able to re-do it after the revert, so I think it's best to revert.

I hope that makes sense what I'm trying to say.  

I think some people lost all... Many peeps are moving to atlantic .. so if by chance you had moved everything you ever owned in the prior 2 weeks and you char is not on atlantic anymore and not on origination shard and everything is gone... I would be complaining as well.

I think some gained all... Correct me if im wrong but i dont think thier was an active DUPE running.  I think some people have had thier chars duped.. ie if leaving atlantic with a 1b gold .. you now have it on 2 shards.  ??   Or was all the atlantic crashes in last 2 weeks from a dupe ?

Ow and hang around these boards long enough and you will see all the gold levels you mentioned and more if thats what you desire.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:36:39 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:30:07 AM »
  I just don't understand the logic in having a dupe limited to one shard.

IF and i say IF there was one (read on stratics there was one with SoTs) and it was limited to being exploited to Atl then it doesn't make sense to revert just Atl when the people exploiting it could easily go to another shard and resume operations. All signs point to legit hardware issues.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »
  I just don't understand the logic in having a dupe limited to one shard.

IF and i say IF there was one (read on stratics there was one with SoTs) and it was limited to being exploited to Atl then it doesn't make sense to revert just Atl when the people exploiting it could easily go to another shard and resume operations. All signs point to legit hardware issues.

Altanitic has been crashing alot in the last 2 weeks... I know becuase i was active thier for the last 3 weeks... and now have to redo everything...

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »
a dupe is always the first to be blamed and there is no real proof about one but a lot of yapping about it.  if it was really a dupe, the test shards like origin would have to had been reverted or something as it was there longer.  dupe is just a scape goat.

they must address the xfer issue.  i could see them banning accts with duped characters by mistake in the future due to ignorance too.  there was an old xfer dupe that duped them in the old days

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »
I lost a house... worth a lot of Gold on atlantic. A LOT of gold...

But, oh well. Not the first time stuff like this has happened
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
I am for a total revert.  This isn't a loss that should be just absorbed by Atlantic. Shards aren't separate, people can tell themselves that shards are separate but the reality is due to transfer token they are interconnected.

If they had announced they were reverting all shards due to a massive DUPE everyone would be up in arms and then get over it and that's the PR job they should have done from the beginning. However because it's a backup issue now it's unconscionable to do a revert because it would effect too many others.

In the end EN is right..the bottom line is it's about revenue. UO is a business first and foremost. They don't want to eliminate a months worth of income but it certainly is the right thing to do and the only way to set things back to the way they were.

I'm one of those who lost a characters and over 1B in gold via a transfer. It sure would be nice to get some comment from Mesanna or someone if they are going to address the transfer TO Atlantic and what if anything can be done for those players who had characters outright disappear.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
The part that really gets me is the barely a paragraph explanation.  Not really an apology or an action plan to show how this will be prevented in the future.  If I really played UO anymore that part would piss me off more than anything.  If I lost a character that I built up over the last 15 years due to some infrastructure glitch, I'd be beside myself with anger.  Then getting a "Sucks to be you; here's a free month - don't cancel your account because we ****ed up" statement is just icing on the cake.

This one gets to me also:

Due to issues beyond our control

So backups are never tested?  How can this be something that's beyond ones control?  This looks more like incompetence at the highest order.  Monkeys and typewriters!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:47:18 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline KaliOfLS

• That's "Dr." Kali to you!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • KaliOfLS has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
If I discovered a dupe on test center- I'd have a huge moral dilemma on outing it or hoarding it.  Once the patch goes live, then you could exploit it on your normal shard.  However, the number of people on the normal shard would also be greater so it is possible the dupe was only discovered after the live publish by an honest individual, and maybe it was repentantly used on Atlantic prior to the hot fix, so that is the only shard that really had the issue.

However, that is a lot of speculation.  The other one of a hardware issue is favored by Occam's razor.  Could also be the case, and hence would explain why only atlantic is getting the revert. 

Also, there was a problem with houses dropping items under the sign... this sounds like a the beginning of a dupe strategy.  Who knows.  I didn't see a new dupe bug submitted to ask chopper, but I also don't have a private section password.  I did some googling for dupe bugs today, just of curiousity and there was an older one that worked (mechanics I can't find, but screen shots of 14 shrouds of death, vendors with identical items, etc..) but can't find anything current.  So, I'd still favor bad hardware.. If that's the case, I can argue against total shard revert, but is it possible to revert a specific account back on another shard so if you lost everything by transferring to ATL, you can have your account reverted on all shards to claim your lost transfer.  I mean, they should have some record other than the character itself for a character transfer.
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 
^ real life signature for sure

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
This one gets to me also:

Due to issues beyond our control

So backups are never tested?  How can this be something that's beyond ones control?  This looks more like incompetence at the highest order.  Monkeys and typewriters!
As i mentioned in Chatbox :
Backup Corrupt Database means also only more corrupt Databases. What i think they failed , that they had Transferlogs and Live Saves in one Database.
I never would do such an issue.
Theoreticly they should save Transfers as well into own Database, so if something happen those can be reverted as well.
But well EA keeping their employees in Cages and i would call it modern slaves..

Tags: