Poll

What online photo site do you use and why?

Shutterfly
Smugmug
Walmart
Kodak
Print myself
Other

Author Topic: Web-based photo management.  (Read 5750 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Web-based photo management.
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »
So I'm just curious what people use for managing and printing their digital photos.

I've been using Shutterfly for a while now. A few years ago I sent the same 10 pictures to three of the main web-based printing companies: Shutterfly, Kodak, and Walmart. I also brought the same pictures to be developed at my local Costco. Out of all four, Shutterfly had the best quality picture hands-down. All of the services had similar features and their own list of pros and cons so I based my choice solely on image quality and have been using Shutterfly ever since.

Now I'm re-evaluating. I want to be able to setup an online photo "gallery" where I can manage all of my photos plus any home videos, etc in a way that will allow friends and family to browse, download, or purchase. I can do some of this with Shutterfly but it's a little complex to get setup and before I moved forward with it I figured I would ask around. I really like Smugmug, and it get's the highest reviews, but it's a pay service. Not necessarily a deal breaker but before I commit to $40/yr I want to make sure there aren't better options out there.

So what do you use? Why?

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Web-based photo management.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:26:21 AM »
I use shutterfly.  No real reason why.  Their prints are good quality.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Outlaw Josey Wales

• Full Moon Rising!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Outlaw Josey Wales has no influence.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »
I use wal greens or i print them myself.  Ive also used wal mart but thats only if im desperate.
I like wal greens the best cause its only 10 cents picture and they do very good work and if your not happy the reprint them for free. 

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:56 AM »
I use wal greens or i print them myself.  Ive also used wal mart but thats only if im desperate.
I like wal greens the best cause its only 10 cents picture and they do very good work and if your not happy the reprint them for free.  

Dito + for me thiers 2 of them within a 5-7min drive .. and soon thier will be one within a 5min walk ie 2mindrive.  (they're spreading like a slow growing fungus)

ps not to derail but thats something i havent figureded out wihin 2miles of me thier are 9 pharmacies... the drug business is a good business obviously

If your thinking of hosting your own site... this looked interesting to me...  http://www.familycms.com/index.php   not sure if it has plugins for auto printing at certain sites... but does allow easy sharing.  Its bascially private facebook for you and your invities.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
I was also going to suggest something similar...look into photography websites that allow you to create your own albums (and have people purchase prints). That may be your best bet. However, I doubt they will do home videos  :(
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
This guy does my photos

XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »
I was also going to suggest something similar...look into photography websites that allow you to create your own albums (and have people purchase prints). That may be your best bet. However, I doubt they will do home videos  :(
LOL MD, you didn't read my first post ;)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
I use walmart still,  because they are the only one within 25 - 30 mile radious that i can do online.  The other companies listed are nice just not convient as of yet.  If I just want a quick photo or 2 then I just go to my wireless Kodak printer and print a few copies off :)

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »
I use walmart still,  because they are the only one within 25 - 30 mile radious that i can do online.  The other companies listed are nice just not convient as of yet.  If I just want a quick photo or 2 then I just go to my wireless Kodak printer and print a few copies off :)
You don't pick them up, they are shipped. I don't live anywhere near Shutterfly ;)

X

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
You don't pick them up, they are shipped. I don't live anywhere near Shutterfly ;)
X

One of the reasons I use Walgreens is that i can go get them in an hour, and they were only 10c a print and can open them right their and ditch any i dont like without paying for them... even if its my error  not a printing error.

But even at 10c a print i once calculated that when i was using 35mm film i paid only about 5/6c a print+developement.  So all these guys made a nice per-print price increase when we all went digital.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:15:26 PM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »
You guys are sooo 90s.   I do 90% of my shopping on Amazon.  I don't have to leave my man-cave. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
You guys are sooo 90s.   I do 90% of my shopping on Amazon.  I don't have to leave my man-cave. 
Haha! Same here, a couple weeks ago I bought Scotch Tape at Amazon - frigging Scotch Tape! Why? I don't know, but it came right to my doorstep.

X

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
So this is cool, I just discovered that you can pick up any pictures you print through Shutterfly.com at Walgreens, Target, or CVS in "...as little as an hour".

That's pretty damn cool, although there are no Target's or Walgreens in my area and the nearest CVS is about 20 minutes away. But you guys with a CVS or Walgreen's every 20 feet should check it out since you can still get the local print while using the online storage and management with sharing capabilities of Shutterfly.com.

Still haven't decided if Smugmug will be worth the $40/yr vs the free storage through Shuterfly. I think I'm gonna stick with what I've got for now.

X

Tags: