0 (0%)
Samsung Infuse 4G
1 (6.7%)
Samsung Galaxy S II (Skyrocket)
5 (33.3%)
Other - Remarks Required
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Which smartphone should I get?  (Read 15106 times)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Which smartphone should I get?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
I just get the 2nd cheapest Android that is on offer.   At metropcs I can generally spend $50-100 to get a perfectly functional current 4G LG Android.   Then i just get it unlocked for a few $$ and its good where ever i end up.    If I drop it in the ocean or leave it on the metro... no worries cost me next to nothing anyways.  If I don't loose it and just want an upgrade I give the old model to my kids who are sick of my cast offs but hey whats childhood without getting someone else's left over stuff (character building and all that).
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
... If I drop it in the ocean or leave it on the metro... no worries cost me next to nothing anyways.  If I don't loose it and just want an upgrade I give the old model to my kids who are sick of my cast offs but hey whats childhood without getting someone else's left over stuff (character building and all that).

LOL!!!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 09:26:16 AM »
I just get the 2nd cheapest Android that is on offer.   At metropcs I can generally spend $50-100 to get a perfectly functional current 4G LG Android.   Then i just get it unlocked for a few $$ and its good where ever i end up.    If I drop it in the ocean or leave it on the metro... no worries cost me next to nothing anyways.  If I don't loose it and just want an upgrade I give the old model to my kids who are sick of my cast offs but hey whats childhood without getting someone else's left over stuff (character building and all that).

You must hate your children for not buying them an iPhone.  All parents hate their children unless they pay hundreds of dollars for Apple products.  True story.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
I use a phone for:
  • making or receiving calls
  • text messaging

But i was pretty much forced to buy a smartphone from the girlfriend. What might people think? Eventually just gave in to get her off my back :P
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »

You must hate your children for not buying them an iPhone.  All parents hate their children unless they pay hundreds of dollars for Apple products.  True story.

Yup my daughter keeps telling me that...   I told her to learn html on code.org by the end of the year and Santa might be generous... .. currently it looks like  I might have to visit the bubbling pit of hell opps  I mean the apple store  or maybe i'll have to revise the terms and conditions of that deal at the last minute,  I believe the written contract, yes  she made me sign a contact, says a model higher than a 4gs,  I think the original iphone laid flat on a table is technically higher than a 5s laid flat ummmm ....  <insert evil laugh here>

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »

Yup my daughter keeps telling me that...   I told her to learn html on code.org by the end of the year and Santa might be generous... .. currently it looks like  I might have to visit the bubbling pit of hell opps  I mean the apple store  or maybe i'll have to revise the terms and conditions of that deal at the last minute,  I believe the written contract, yes  she made me sign a contact, says a model higher than a 4gs,  I think the original iphone laid flat on a table is technically higher than a 5s laid flat ummmm ....  <insert evil laugh here>

EVIL!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
I just get the 2nd cheapest Android that is on offer.   At metropcs I can generally spend $50-100 to get a perfectly functional current 4G LG Android.   Then i just get it unlocked for a few $$ and its good where ever i end up.    If I drop it in the ocean or leave it on the metro... no worries cost me next to nothing anyways.  If I don't loose it and just want an upgrade I give the old model to my kids who are sick of my cast offs but hey whats childhood without getting someone else's left over stuff (character building and all that).

You must hate your children for not buying them an iPhone.  All parents hate their children unless they pay hundreds of dollars for Apple products.  True story.

Yup my daughter keeps telling me that...   I told her to learn html on code.org by the end of the year and Santa might be generous... .. currently it looks like  I might have to visit the bubbling pit of hell opps  I mean the apple store  or maybe i'll have to revise the terms and conditions of that deal at the last minute,  I believe the written contract, yes  she made me sign a contact, says a model higher than a 4gs,  I think the original iphone laid flat on a table is technically higher than a 5s laid flat ummmm ....  <insert evil laugh here>

I have twin 13 year old daughters and they were bugging me about getting them each a smart phone. They lose or break about everything so there was no way I wanted to. I told them if they kept their room spotless for 1 month, I would get them each an iphone. I searched around on craigslist and bought 2 iphones for next to nothing, think they were the first or 2nd models released. I snagged 2 iphone 5 boxes from my friend and put the old ones in the new boxes and wrapped them up. I put them on the kitchen table for them to find the next morning. I awoke to total chaos with them jumping up and down screaming and was nearly tackled when I came into the kitchen. I told them to open the boxes and lets get them set up.

Watching them cut the tape and pull out the old phones was priceless, and it was even better when they tried to turn them on and couldn't. Wow were they pissed! They said "daddy these are old and don't work!" and I said "Your point is?" One said "You told us that if we kept our room spotless for one whole month we would get a new iphone!" and the other chimed in saying "YEAH!" They told me that it was not fair and that I broke our agreement. I repllied that not only did I not break our agreement but I also gave them something else even better. They did not agree with me and demanded to know what it was so I told them it was a life lesson.....

I told them I would get each of them an iphone but I never said that it would be new and I most definitely never said that it would work! I told them that the next time they made an agreement with someone, they needed to be very specific on the terms and make sure that they knew what they were getting into. I wish I would have thought to get the camcorder rolling for this...it was priceless!

Did you promise an operational iphone in your written agreement?  ;)

My wife thought it was an awesome joke but she let me know that we would have to get them working ones for Christmas.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:39:14 PM by Crisis »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
This is my favorite story for the week!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:08 AM »
Did you promise an operational iphone in your written agreement?  ;)

My wife thought it was an awesome joke but she let me know that we would have to get them working ones for Christmas.  :'(

LOL Crisis .. a man after my own heart, my other half at this point stays well out of the negotiations.    My daughter has her typed original, signed and witnessed  contract hidden away someplace..  Being as i have twisted the old promise many times her contact is very well written for a 14 year old, but i love to find the loopholes.  She also already knows that if she cannot produce the signed and witnessed original theirs no chance I am honoring it.  Life lessons...

Even though I do find the loopholes and twist it around and drag it out for as long as i can at the end of the day I generally get the agreed upon item/service as long as she played her part,  but it probably requires renegotiation and a new contract extended time haha the fun never ends.

In your case I probably would have said something like ow a new phone .. that's totally different,  that is 4 months of room cleaning but being as I'm nice I'll accept that you have done one month and have only 3 to go.. !!!!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:07 AM »
I told my 13 year old daughter that she can have an iPhone but that I don't support iOS, period. No iPhone, iPad, iPod, no iTunes on any computer that I support, no questions answered, no antidotes, no sympathy, no empathy - absolute iOS NADA! She would have to deal with everything on her own.

She decided on an Android...

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 02:35:37 AM »
I told my 13 year old daughter that she can have an iPhone but that I don't support iOS, period. No iPhone, iPad, iPod, no iTunes on any computer that I support, no questions answered, no antidotes, no sympathy, no empathy - absolute iOS NADA! She would have to deal with everything on her own.

She decided on an Android...

X

We defo need a like button, this is by far the best i ever saw. I did similar to my girlfriend :)

Offline LTP_01

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • LTP_01 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:24 AM »
Samsung Galaxy S II (Skyrocket) will be here Tuesday.

Thanks for all the input.

So now that you have your phone, what do you think of it? Generally happy with the decision?

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Should have told your daughter to learn Java...then let her choose an Android phone or an iPhone at the end...
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: smartphone