Author Topic: Thief/Stealther???  (Read 4627 times)

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Thief/Stealther???
« on: May 31, 2009, 06:30:38 AM »
Hi Guys,

Question. Not to long ago my wife and I reserected a very old account of mine that I used back in 1999-2000 for placing/selling houses. We needed a large storage house in a VERY low spawn area....gee, I wonder what for?!?! :)

Anyway, I took some time this weekend to actually LOOK at the chars I had on this acct (thinking they were all just gimppy house holders) and found I had actually put some time into one or two of them!!

This is the skill set of one of the chars.

Hiding          100.0
Lockpicking   100.0                 Strength     55
Magery          83.7                  Dex           100
Meditation      84.4                  Int             82
Snooping      100.0
Stealing        100.0
Stealth          75.0

I know some of you play thief/stealther chars, and I have never even looked into what the best skill set would be to even have one of these chars...in fact, I dont even remember making this char. Once houses stopped decaying after 9-11, I turned off ALL my house selling accounts. (I had 11 at the time)
but wth...I was making $3k+ a month placing and selling houses on ebay, so 11 accts was kinda cheap to have LOL!

Could some of you please share your thief setup with me, so I can see what I would need to do to change this guy up, and make him worth keeping?

Thanks!!!

Toptwo

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
Re: Thief/Stealther???
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:25 AM »
In my opinion you could go with ninjitsu and drop magery but its all what are you going to use the thief for.  Are you going to do star room steals of power scrolls or are you just gonna go around stealing regs at the fel gates? Are you going to steal and poison attack your victims in fel and scare them into running from you ?  It makes sense to have a purpose before developing a thief first. I have 2 thief templates i use. One is pure doom stealables and the other is star room thefts.  Thieves in all out purposes are kinda really gimped and almost useless with insurance.

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
I guess most what I would like to do is the Doom stealables, or be able to stealth into Meraktus (or other champ spawns) and hold regs and such for my whammy's when they die. I doubt I ever use him as a "thief" per se. At least not against other players..would rather be able to get the doom stealables, and champ spawns.

Toptwo
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:34:53 PM »
i would just bump stealing up to 120 and stealth up to 100 and the rest should be ok then for that

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »
Ah so you're really looking at making a "Utility Stealther" that can also steal Doom arties :P Here's what I would do:

1 - Soulstone Lockpicking to a Tmapper, not useful here
2 - Ditch Meditation
3 - Soulstone off Snooping, you only need this if you are stealing from players

The rest of the skills you will use. I agree with Masscre on the Ninjitsu; between Animal Form, Smoke Bombs, Shadow Jump you want to get this skill up. On the Doom arties, you can start stealing them at GM however you will fail A LOT. I would recommend getting the stealing to 120 but only via items as these are valuable points that can be used for your "Utility" role which, to be honest, is MUCH more valuable. You can always throw on Burglar's Bandana, Shadow Dancer's, and even jewelry to get you up there so you really only need a little stealing to be 120 in Doom. You can also do this with Stealth but this is more important when you're doing the "Utility" thing so you don't want to rely solely on items like with Stealing.

With all that said, this is how I run my spawn helper, stealther, utility dudes:

100 Hiding (of course)
100 Stealth (I sometimes go to 120 with items but 100 is sufficient)
100-110 Magery (I like the ability to res, EV's, Invis others, etc. With items minimum of 110)
100-110 Ninjitsu (already discussed)
100 Detect (nothing like running a pentrick Detect script at the alter to reveal other "undesireables")
100 Tracking
60 +/- Stealing depending on items
Rest in whatever you want.

This leaves a lot of room for another skill and moving skills up or down based on items. It is a very handy template to play and can be pretty fun with some Soulstones/SS Fragments. I don't usually put stealing on this template so I've been known to drop Tracking lower then add 100 Necro/SS for total spawn griefing and farming drops, etc. Can be a lot of fun to pull someone else's power scrolls just by virtue of working up the first level or two of the spawn withering, hiding, then stealthing away while they hunt for me. Also good for getting some damage on the champ :P

The suit is pretty easy/cheap really, other than marties and maybe Shadow Dancers you are looking for nothing more than LRC and Resist. Believe it or not I like using Alchemist's Bauble with this temp (a very underutilized piece of jewelry IMO) but maybe you'll have something you like more. If you go for the spawn griefing route you definitely want as much SDI as possible, otherwise it's pointless.

I raise up Justice on this guy (Using "XIIxOveR's Justice League Red and Blue" of course) so he can do the protecting as well.

I have a number of stealther template flavors depending on the shard and the purpose.

Hope this helps!

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:10 AM »
Wow that was a good write up 12x^ i had not thought about the necro/ss add ons to wreak havoc and steal spawn also that is a great idea i even learned something from here :)

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 06:01:48 AM »
Thank you VERY much XII!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for...and it gave me a TON of ideas too! I hadn't thought about working a spawn with him, I just wanted him there as back-up to hold Necro regs and such for my fallen warriors (I can solo Meraktus, but avg 3 deaths per try...only once have I got through the whole thing without taking a dirt nap) I also thought it would be kinda nice to stealth him up to the DH area...see where spite and irk and everybody was before I took my whammy up there...but you gave me a ton of great ideas, and all of em sound evil and fun :)

OK...off to do some stoning and see what I can do with this guy..nothing like having even MORE chars for fun..not just reasource/crafting dudes!

Thanks again my friend!

Toptwo

Tags: