Author Topic: Stygian Abyss is still on! Wewp!  (Read 8827 times)

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Stygian Abyss is still on! Wewp!
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
This was put together by Adam over at UOForums regarding the Austin Town Hall Meeting. I thought I'd post in case anyone wasn't aware of it and we can get feedback from our members. If posting this is not okay then I apologize in advance. Thanks to Adam for taking the time to enlighten the UO community about the future expansion.

This is just a preliminary list of stuff we know so far, from the Austin Town hall.

Seattle Town Hall:

When?

- Stygian Abyss is coming next year sometime (2009)

How?

- Build up to expansion via live ingame events

Gargoyle information.

- Gargoyles have their own animation effects... including flying

- Gargoyles cannot wear human/elf armors

- Gargoyle flying over water... "we don't know"

- No new skills are garg specific

- Jeremy takes a vote and it's 50/50 on having a turn to garg quest

- Gargoyle animations will be seriously different from human/elves

- Inherent Garg abilities: YES. Will show up on website

- Gargs will not have mounts... flying replaces mounts

Client information.

- KR is being improved including new map, more vibrant, better map overall.

- New client being based off of the KR technology (the SA client)

- KR will be fixed. (there goes my question for WRR)

- SA will be for both clients (no details yet)

- Looking to integrate UOA with the client

- 2d UI is not being redone. (seems different than what they said at the first)

- The new UI is under construction

Skills.

- New Skill: Embueing! (Embueing is the "big new crafting change")

- New Skill: Throwing skill: (New weapon skill)

- New Skill: Mysticism

- Crafting to have a HUGE update.

- New champ spawns/power scrolls: Reward system will be different as will the new "boss fights"

- Recall in SA: Still under consideration... limited at best.

- No new skills are garg specific

- Crafters of any race can make garg armor

- Templates are supposed to be cramped skillpointwise

Stygian Abyss Dungeon and Lands.

- Dungeon will look and feel like the original Ultima Underworld dungeon

- Size big enough that they are talking about new hardware to support

- New housing: New housing space is under discussion

- There will be areas in SA reds can go. More detail in the future... PvP content mentioned

- Recall in SA: Still under consideration... limited at best.

PVP Concerns

- Fighting styles between flying creatures: in PvP will be similar to being mounted

- Can you use a Bola on flying gargs... YES. Acts as a dismount and they cannot instantly fly again

- PvP balance in SA: In theory it's supposed to happen in beta. Overpowered templates are not done on purpose.

Creatures of Stygian Abyss.

- New Tameables (New tameables and ridables)

Armor, Weapons and Items

- Will new armor be auto-have or need a recipe... unknown yet

- Garg Slayers Weapons: Will not affect in PvP/ Repond Slayers will not work on humans (PvP)

- New runics in SA: Not tied to expansion

- Randomized resources: To make higher end ore types rare, embueing will make them even more valuable. Mining and LJ rewards time.

Quests.

- "The stupid heartwood quests are not coming back"

Marketing.

- The Retail Box: Still under discussion and another fistfight

-"SA is going to ship when it is ready"

- Pre Order Gifts: To be discussed later

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
Re: Stygian Abyss is still on! Wewp!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »
This is very exciting hopefully EA follows through with the expansion and releases! I'm all for new content as I'm bored and need more challenges to keep me going in the game. New Pets, New lands, new skills, and interested in the SA client as I really like the KR client. I wonder what they're going to do with the heartwood quests? Kill 1000 Dragons to get a heartwood runic?

Should be interesting...

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:43:01 PM »
Wow, the Heartwood Quester will become outdated/not useful... damn, that sucks.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »
For me, the KR client has always had real promise; scripting or not.  However, they have a lot of work to do, and making it more "vibrant" is a great step since now it's just a drowned out mess.  I still can't tell where the trees stop and the ground starts.  Also, I hate noticing when I'm playing a game that it's a program I'm running.  When I have to wait for the game to redraw items is when I get really turned off.  I've been playing WoW a bit lately, so I'm kinda sensitive to the "polish" a game can have and they have a HUGE amount of work to impress me.  It's possible for a game to have a seamless, configurable, stable user interface that immerses the user in the world without constantly reminding the user they are playing a crappy-implementation of a game.

For the Heartwood quests not coming back, I really do feel sorry for the countless people who have slaved over that quest.  Hopefully they can come up with a better system; the drop rates for the saws/kits these days are terrible.   I for one am glad I scripted that, since it's the only reasonable way to get anything from it.  This is another instance why OSI/EA creates the necessity to script their own game.

Just for a sanity check:

UO2
UOX
Earth and Beyond
Sims Online
EA Land
Motor City Online

I wonder if EA is capable of doing a MMORPG?  If you are looking at track records, I wouldn't get too excited....

Just my thoughts...

TM
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
I have basically quit playing, still lurking but playing has really become boring :(  Talking about EA I really really loved motorcity but it just was all of a sudden killed :(

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:03:20 AM »
KR was not too bad over all except a few things.

I think overall most of the graphics were plain shitty.  I say that because it was just hard to tell what was going on lol.  2D's graphics are much more defined.  A player can be spotted instantly and easily identified from others.  In KR good luck.  The colors got much more dull (except spell effects).  Everything just seemed like it ran together in a blur.

The options sucked.  They left out a number of options.  They also left out so many "macro options" like the ability to toggle always run on/off, wow was that stupid.

Overall KR ran a lot better on my computer then 2D.  I could do a lap around luna faster then I could in 2D. 

But hell was it a lot harder to play.  Mainly cause of the "bluryness".  Even items in the pack were just stretched out blurred junk and that was just bad.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
I have basically quit playing, still lurking but playing has really become boring :(  Talking about EA I really really loved motorcity but it just was all of a sudden killed :(

Don't worry about stopping UO, I'm doing the same at the moment.  I just got done with a huge push for clean up points, so I was playing every day for weeks.  I'm on a break at the moment from it myself.

Just don't make the same mistake everyone else does and sell your stuffs/account only to realize that other games suck in their own way.

Don't worry about loosing Elite status either here.  I'm not all that anal about it once you get it (for whatever its worth). 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
I still have my accts, won't make that mistake a third time haha!  Right now I have been playing World in Conflict (RTS for PC) along with a ton of COD4 on the Xbox :)  appreciate it about the elite thing, I was beginign to worry I might get the axe since I haven't been around much.

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:45 PM »
I think the heartwood quests are going to be left alone. I originally interpreted what they said at the townhall meeting they were doing away with them or making changes to them which still may be the case but  I think what they mean is that they're just not going to make more crafting quests similiar to what we have now in heartwood.

As for the upcomming changes to the client I think it's great. I really dig the KR Client but hopefully the SA client will have even better graphics. Anyone ever play Titan Quest? That was a kickass game imo all the time playing it I was saying 'Now if UO could be like this" then it be a hell of a game in today's market. I'm no fan of the 2D client. It has it's nostaligia and all for keeping it as an option but also all for them honing and polishing other clients keeping this great game moving on into the future. I only play 2d when I'm scripting or redecorating my home. :P

I'm getting burnt out too which is why I'm excited about the expansion. As long as they keep polishing the game up I'll continue to play it. Brittania is my home for sure. It was the father of all that has come after... ;)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »
Well, let's hope they properly test the SA client before releasing it to the general population.  When they called the release of KR "Live" I just rolled my eyes and thought, "not again..". 

I loaded the KR client last night to see if the memory leaks were fixed.  After all this time, I noticed a steady creep of the resource utilization.  At this point, I'm kinda shocked this rather basic error is still in the client. I figure I could play for about an hour before the memory leak would eat up all my available RAM and start to swap to the HD.

It's still washed out, context menus still don't work, the UI skin is still brown, the backpack items are unrecognizable (even the 2d art is iffy), 3d terrain and house decorations is useless, 2d terrain is better, but still a blurry mess.  Man, every time I load that client I just get mad.  The performance is better than when it first started, but it's got some serious limitations on screens with lots of object. 

And why oh why don't the trees sway like they did in the original UOTD?  I miss those little things.

I have tried to like the client, but every time I want to use it completely, I find it just CAN'T do something the 2d client can do.  I still think that most of the people that work for EA/OSI don't really play their own game.  If they did, then so many of these issues would be obvious and we wouldn't have to whine about them so much.

Lol, here I am hijacking another thread and this one is to bitch!  Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming... 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:39:47 AM »
It's still washed out, context menus still don't work, the UI skin is still brown, the backpack items are unrecognizable (even the 2d art is iffy), 3d terrain and house decorations is useless, 2d terrain is better, but still a blurry mess.  Man, every time I load that client I just get mad.

I have tried to like the client, but every time I want to use it completely, I find it just CAN'T do something the 2d client can do.

That is exactly why I don't use it either.

They should have done this at least for KR:

Made a list of EVERY option (General options, hotkey bindable options, macro options).
Made them ALL available in KR.
Made EVERYTHING UOAssist does available in KR. (Which seems like they tried).

I was mad because I couldn't set always run on a hotkey, and that I couldn't target self/last via. the mouse wheel.  The minimap SUCKED also.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
Isn't Titan Quest that game that someone spoofed as being leaked as the sequel to UO?

Edit:  Nope, that's not it.  Wow, nice looking game.  I could see UO in those shoes.  I'll have to find out what game someone "modified" to make it look like the UO sequel.  It was another iso-3d game, but looked much much prettier.  Also, it was for 2d hardware as well.  With DirectX, why not?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:15:25 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »
I thought I remember titans quest being tied to diablo in some way.  Maybe by ex members of the blizzard team or something.

I was going to buy it but I never did lol.

I will be giving diablo3 a try though whenever that comes out, next year i suppose :P

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »
D3 is definitally on my list, I have heard rumors that it might come out before the Holidays but knowing Blizzard I don't see that happening.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »
D3 is definitally on my list, I have heard rumors that it might come out before the Holidays but knowing Blizzard I don't see that happening.

I'll take a late game delivery anyday over a game that's not done yet.  Ok, ok, I need to stop harping on KR..  I don't want hurt ultimas (our ultima) feelings regarding it since he's managed to find some good from it. :D
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: