Author Topic: My graduation class as a UO Counselor  (Read 8191 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
My graduation class as a UO Counselor
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »
Just for nostalgia.  Name has been changed to protect the guilty.  This was on Sonoma.  I still can't find the date, but I'm searching....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:32:15 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My graduation class as a UO Counselor
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:28 AM »
Wonder what they had to do to get approved. I wouldnt mind having TM as counselor dropping by on my boat :P
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »
What's with the dude to the north w/ the floppy hat haha

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:11:31 AM »
What's with the dude to the north w/ the floppy hat haha

There were several senior Counselors coming and going at the time watching the graduation ceremony.  In the program, if you were a good little counselor, they'd give you items from time to time.  You could only have items on your paperdoll, since counselors didn't have backpacks.  I kept loosing my car keys...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:13:09 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:20:31 AM »
I never joined the Counselor program, but I was a Companion for a few years.. I was bad one day and it was removed from the program.  they I've talked to other companions I that still have powers and some events they are able to control some of the npc's. 

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:38:21 AM »
I never joined the Counselor program, but I was a Companion for a few years.. I was bad one day and it was removed from the program.  they I've talked to other companions I that still have powers and some events they are able to control some of the npc's. 

Still able to control those?  Is that by accident?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:42:15 AM »
i'm sure its by pure accident.. this guy I know was playing around with one...
a guy walked into town standing next to one of the npc's.. this guy I know made the npc say (Chracters name) Sucks.
the guy turned around and said WTF.. the other guy started trying to talk to the npc.. it was preety funny.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
Wonder what they had to do to get approved. I wouldnt mind having TM as counselor dropping by on my boat :P

Script faster damn you!!! lol.

Funny thing about the counselor program was that I actually didn't think I would get into it because I had been caught macroing skills SOOO many times.  I guess someone around there appreciates powergaming.  Also, there was always a shortage of good counselors, so I'm sure they had pretty low standards (obviously in my case....)  heh
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:08:12 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »
Just for nostalgia.  Name has been changed to protect the guilty.  This was on Sonoma.  I still can't find the date, but I'm searching....

Hey that's my shard!

What exactly is the lore/history behind the counselor program? It was in place when I took one of my hiatus's from UO and when I can back it was gone. What happened?

What all did your pro bono work entail? What powers were you given per se?

Props for doing volunteering for that and giving of your time to help the UO community. .

One of my good friends was a counselor for awhile. I also heard about some counselors using shady tactics/powers to help their in game friends. Seems like such a system should still be in place today....

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »

Hey that's my shard!

What exactly is the lore/history behind the counselor program? It was in place when I took one of my hiatus's from UO and when I can back it was gone. What happened?

What all did your pro bono work entail? What powers were you given per se?

Props for doing volunteering for that and giving of your time to help the UO community. .

One of my good friends was a counselor for awhile. I also heard about some counselors using shady tactics/powers to help their in game friends. Seems like such a system should still be in place today....

There's some pretty good articles on the various volunteer programs on uoguide.com:

http://www.uoguide.com/List_of_Volunteer_Program_Articles

Here's the letter they sent out when the program ended:

http://uocounselor.de/index.php?article=2

I was in the program during the time of the added counselor powers, but before the time when they had joined all the shards together (apparently).

We all chatted on IRC and monitored the help queue.  For the most part, we could see character stats and fame, teleport objects, and remain invisible.  But there were some who exploited this.  I came into the program when they limited an account to one character on the shard you were volunteering for.

Probably what finally brought an end to the counselor program as well as other volunteer programs was this:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2630696.html
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
Well the lawsuit thing against EA is total garbage. No wonder they pulled the plug.

It only takes a few numskulls/scumbags to ruin it for other people.

I know on Sonoma when I've logged in created a new character there are players just sitting there to welcome new players and help guide and answer any questions they might have. I think that's a good thing for the game because when UOKR first came out I had a hell of the time figuring out to use the interface until someone explained a few of the steps and then it was really simple.

Anyways the point is there are people in game whose playstyle are totally geared toward helping and interacting with new players and are tailor made to be a counselor. Also how many times have you paged a GM only to have it go unanswered or take forever. That is where the counselors could play the middle man and save time of both players and GM's.

Bottom line is it was a good program and hopefully we can see some form of it re-introduced in the future.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »
I have been looking for the handbook, but I don't think I have it anymore... :(

It was a fun experience.  EA/OSI might not like what I'm doing now, but if you boil this site down, we are a UO Fan Site and we do try and promote their game, even though they haven't done much promotion.  Every time I goto the software store, I always see if there's anything on the shelf, but I can't remember a time when I could find a copy of UO.

Someone recently suggested that it's about time for a cool new box set.  I couldn't agree more with that.  I still have my UO pins (although I gave one to Mom), and I have my ankh from Ultima IV plus the cloth maps from various other box sets.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
I've never seen it on the shelves at Best Buy. Not sure what their cost vs. return is in trying to market or stock the shelves but you have to always marker new customers that is a no brainer.

Now you make me wish I had kept my boxes I had from the good ole' days playing on the commodore 64/128. Played Bard's Quest, AutoDuel, California Games, GI Joe and Load Runner.  :P

It's too bad that alot of the kids/gamers today don't understand just how far the gaming industry has come and UO/Richard Garriott was one of the guys early on that was pushing the envelope.

That's actually how I got back into playing UO again this last time around. After Titan Quest I got bored and started surfing the internet and found the commodore emulators and I downloaded Ultima VII the Black Gate/Forge of Virtue. That was one of the best if not thee best Ultima for me. It had the whole murder mystery, the cult of the fellowship, the flying carpet and the hoe of destruction. LOL! All the good stuff.

Then I saw pics of UOKR and how they enhanced the graphics then I logged in and started and got back on the UO. Now I can't get off again...

Anyways sorry about the OT but you mentioning Ultima IV and the Box just brought back a moment of nostaligia and excitement.

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:25:47 AM »
Ultima underworld 1&2 were good games too :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I used to be a buyer for a software store.  So the economics are pretty simple; if a title sits too long on your shelf, and you purchase through a software distributor, you can return the product for a refund after a certain time.  So really, if you don't have any new content, there's no real incentive for the retailer to keep it on the shelf because it will only be returned for credit.  At times there were many many copies of UO at Best Buy, but my guess is that they were returned.  That's if a retailer is proactive about their stock.  If not, then they can't return it and you'll find the software in bargain shelves.

What's sad is that you can hardly buy it from Amazon.

Ya, I still have a filing cabinet with all the original documentation from all my old games.  Ultima I-IV,etc.  And I agree that Black Gate was one of the best.

Lol, last thing you have to do around here is apologize for off-topic.  I'm the worst offender.  I keep hoping that DriftMonster will return; that man had off-topic skillz.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: