Author Topic: Interesting Article  (Read 3677 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Interesting Article
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
This was just an interesting article that I came across and thought I'd share with the community:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/ultima-online/1169826p1.html
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Article
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:04:34 PM »
I played IPY for a few months.  Sadly I found that the free shards, while cheaper, did little to hold me in game. 
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
Heh, that's a cool article.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I think it hit the nail on the head. UO is a game that requires patience, training, and skill just to be able to play. When I look back and remember the days when I used to run around and collect regs on the ground just so I could go fight, it's hard to believe that I can now do just about anything in the game proficiently, from PvP, to PvM, to all the other random things you can do in UO. I wouldn't even know where to start to teach someone to PvP!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
There was a post on stratics that I tried to find written by a former dev team member stating the issues that a new player would face, mind boggling.  Way back when I first started playing there were a small handful that played beta and had a small head start on the rest of us, now it would be hard to see someone fresh into the game ever being able to get to the average players level.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
Just the other day, I was fighting in some minax in Britain. They took me around the side of the TB base to the back, where there is a pathway only 3 tiles wide, and about 3 screens long. I'd never seen it before in my life, but I knew exactly what the mages where about to do.

Just goes to show you, know matter how long you play this game, you still have something to learn......

Just the Concept of Weapon Skill and DCI is something even most veterans fall short on. Sad Really.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »
I dont know how many of you remember working skills without locks. Also i had just got magery to 90 when someone lit a campfire next to me and i went down in magery and up in camping. I was so pissed. I remember getting a bandage put on me and learning healing (at the cost of more magery!)
yea I sure dont miss those days!

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
I remember the first time I was pk'd.  I was walking on a road and some guy with a drake came along.  I went to ask him how on earth he did this(tame it) when I died....ahhh the good days.  Or the first time I got poisoned in front of covetus....I'm next to sure it was just plain but I had no concept of curing and healing wouldn't do it back then...it took ages to die but it happened all the same.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
I dont know how many of you remember working skills without locks. Also i had just got magery to 90 when someone lit a campfire next to me and i went down in magery and up in camping. I was so pissed. I remember getting a bandage put on me and learning healing (at the cost of more magery!)
yea I sure dont miss those days!

Yes I was one of those bad men. Who would walk up behind you in a grey robe and start placing camp fires all around the trinsic bank and causing your camping to go up and other high skills to fall. I used to love to see teh bank sitters run from my littel ole camp fires and they would literlt run from them. Even had a few attack me over it and then I would get tehm guard wacked. I even loved stealing from an NPC and then yelling GUARDS !! afterward so teh guard would kill me and then be marked grey to me. So I would then get enough reagents from my buddy to cast poison on the guard and watch him die eventually to 2 or 3 bouts of poison. :) Once had a guy cure the poison on teh guard and becasue the guard was grey(he was only grey to me, but it still worked) I was able to call guards on him LOL !! BUGS and BAD designs I miss tehm so much :) GREEN ACRES I miss you !!

Offline Outlaw Josey Wales

• Full Moon Rising!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Outlaw Josey Wales has no influence.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
nice article

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile

Tags: