Author Topic: Modifying Steam Maps  (Read 7158 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Modifying Steam Maps
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »
I'd like to modify the maps used by UOSteam slightly, is there an easy way to do that? I'm not sure where the Steam maps are stored because they aren't regular image files. Or do they use the default UO .mul files?

Whatever the case, what I'd like to do is add a grid pattern in some areas directly onto the map. No script, no addon, just changing the maps directly. When searching for an idoc in places like Yew it would be helpful to have a grid appear on the maps so that I don't miss areas. I could also "fade" areas where no houses are possible and place markers where lone houses are, like on Justice Isle.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
Re: Modifying Steam Maps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »
prolly hardcoded and not possible.. but someone who know steam more could prove me being wrong..

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
It uses the default mul files. You might try modding them.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
Just took a quick look, by renaming the mul file the steam map fails so that's it. No clue how to mod a mul file though, will have to look that up.

Thanks.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:24 PM »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 01:22:39 AM »
Playing around with both of those right now. Fiddler seems really powerful but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's designed to allow changes on a tile by tile basis? I have a runebook/rail system built but am finding I enjoy doing it manually, I only search one server and have the routes pretty well down but... still missing areas :)

What I'd like to do is add a grid pattern overlay to the existing map in and around Yew and to add a line of sorts to follow in other areas. Example: I recall into area 5 and have an optimal search path show me the way right on the map. I'll let you know if I figure out how to scribble on my maps when I get more time to play with these.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »
UOFiddler is able to read out Mul files and display them. You have the power to import\export files with it to bitmap files, mod them and reimport them back. Then generate new Mul files you could try to convert back to UOP.
Atleast in theory, i never digged deep into that.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 07:41:22 AM »
I hope to spend some time moding again on no trees etc - does the mul to uop program work?

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:37:11 AM »
UOP to mul seems to work but not mul to UOP, I get an error saying there are no mul files in the target folder when there are nothing but mul files in there.

Lets say I have a map of Trammel in photoshop and i mark waypoints with a number and then draw a 3 pixel wide path from each along areas that housing exist, I would end up with a map that at a quick glance I can see which direction I should be running in and which rune I should hit to get to the start of that stretch.

IF i get the above mentioned programs working I still don't see a way to draw such a line along the map, can either do that?

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 02:07:35 AM »
I may can look at it..maybe you just used it not the supposed way...

Tags: