Author Topic: How do you choose what to tackle  (Read 3167 times)

Offline InsideoutTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Insideout has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
How do you choose what to tackle
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
Okay after wanting to try to write a script lol I take a look and there are ones for everything. How do you guys decided on what to work on as far as script writing?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How do you choose what to tackle
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
simple if i want to do sometime i write it.     I hardly ever use other peoples scripts.. I get more enjoyment and frustration writing my own.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
I always start small with a basic idea to accomplish.  Then you just add features until the script does what you need.  There's added complexity when you release to the public because your script should be resistant to noobs and idiots. ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
My motto is change someone else's to fit what I need. If no programs exist I then write my own!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »
I always start small with a basic idea to accomplish.  Then you just add features until the script does what you need.  There's added complexity when you release to the public because your script should be resistant to noobs and idiots. ;)

LOL then I should not even think about trying to script lol as I feel I'm both most of the time :)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »
Well i'm all about changing stuff as I have claimed before i'm far from an engineer but you build it and I can do something with it afterward. I'm looking at a few more plant scripts from EUO as they just seem they need tweaked. Not hearing back from the Authors and many have been gone for several years. So what does a person do just give props and hope they don't get upset over it?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
Kinda depends on the degree of modifications.  If you end up re-writing 90% of the script with your own code, then just a thankful acknowledgement to the author.  But if it's just tweaked to work, you shouldn't be posting it publicly without the original author's consent.  If it's just for your use, then you can do whatever you want - that's how most of us started anyhow.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
Mostly, I look at what I'm doing a lot of, and how to automate it.

Hence my little helper scripts to pick up mushrooms, my effort to help with Ant Farm, my Ultra Hunter...

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
I get an idea of what I want to do and code it to work at the most basic level.

For example, if I want to have something that casts a spell I start with:

Code: [Select]
Cast(Spell);
And it begins there, then ofcourse I figure out what conditions I want to cast that spell under. Say I want to cast Heal, that means I would want to cast Heal when my HP is at a certain level so it becomes:

Code: [Select]
if( GetHP(Self) * 100 / (GetMaxHP(Self)+1) < 50 ) then //50 Percent
begin
  Cast(Spell);
  WaitForTarget(1000);
  if( TargetPresent );
    TargetToObject(Self);
end;

And so on. Maybe one day I decide to make this into it's own universal casting function that accepts the following information: Cast(SpellName:String; ManaCost,CastTime:Integer) and within itself calculate the effecting mana cost and spell cast/recovery time based on your current LMC,FC,FCR.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
I pick up a stick and hit the Project with it. If that Doesn't work, I find a bigger Stick.

Repeat
Until Penguins
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:54:59 AM »

Tags: