Author Topic: WOW jumped the shark  (Read 3007 times)

Offline SomeguyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Someguy has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
WOW jumped the shark
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Hey,

Now that WoW definitely jumped the shark after the Cataclysm expansion, I decided to return back to UO.

I remember installing the UO client in 1998 on the uni campus and being super excited after having greatly enjoyed the single player versions, notably 6, 7 and the underworld series (OMG please remake one of those). I started on Atlantic and then moved on later to Drachenfels due to ping issues.

My macroing in those days consisted in sticking coins in the keyboard, lol.

Overall I played over 5 years, but sporadically came back to look at the state of the game, also using the regular Return to Britannia offers.

That awful AoS itemization stuff was one of the major reasons I never managed to get back, always following the "classic shard" discussions that were unfortunately buried this year. And what about those Ninja themes in my beloved Ultima, oh well...

I shortly played on a SA free server and I must say that the overall experience was rather nice considering the price, but it somehow had not the same feel as the OSI shards. I also did some easyuo scripting on that shard, but didn't really publish anything as I never intended to stick around that long.

My main character has always been a Bard and until today I still have not maxed provocation (yeah I suck). Unfortunately I am currently realizing that my bard has lost a bit of its glory, but I will try to max him in the next couple of weeks for nostalgia reasons. I remember regularly advertising silver weapons and magic armor I got from provoking Ophidians and true black sandals in Delucia, ah the times. Now, I am slowly raising my first Imbuier. Adapt or die I guess...

Over the years I played many other MMOs like AO, DAOC, SB, Guid Wars (didn't like), L2 beta, Wish beta and finally WoW which I played for about 5 years. I had great friends there, but saw them slowly leaving one after the other. The raid and instance grinding finally got me and I decided to quit during Cataclysm.

I am still not sure how much I will be able to contribute to this community, hell I don't even know whether I will be able to adapt to the UO changes, but I am willing to give it a try (at least until Diablo 3 :)).

Respectfully,
Skar the returning newb.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: WOW jumped the shark
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
WELCOME!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »
Thank you for the nice intro! Restricted status is lifted and your free to have a look around. Hope to see you active on the boards!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline SomeguyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Someguy has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
Wow thank you that was fast! Are you even scripting the forums?

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
Welcome, Someguy.  Prosper here at SUO.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
Welcome to the site and make sure to add to the conversations that happen here.  That is what makes this place so great!

Offline Goliath

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
Welcome and Good Luck!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »
Thanks for that great intro!  Never heard of jumping the shark before.  lol
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline camotbik

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • camotbik has no influence.
  • Hello! I'm a UO addict.
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
What you witness -- is whatver..
uogamers hybrid.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 05:30:17 AM »
Hello and Welcome!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8