Author Topic: Dual Booting  (Read 5760 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Dual Booting
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
I'm going to be upgrading my PC this next weekend. Included is a new 1TB SATA 6 Hard Drive and Windows 7.

I'd like to set it up with Win7 and the new Drive as the default operating system. Is there a way that that I can set up my old drive as D: and have a dual boot? That way I can have both systems available for a while so I can ensure that I get all the things I want loaded setup.

I'll have dual monitor setup as well... is it possible to have dual boot at the same time? One on each monitor?? That'd be the best. I could actually see stuff live and update the new OS.

What would I need to set up dual boot?
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Scrripty

Re: Dual Booting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »
VMWare?  Windows XP Mode? :)  You have options now with new tech bud.  No need to mess with your operating system to run multiple os'.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »
Nice, I'm reading through all the VM stuff now... I may try out the Windows one.

I was thinking about dual booting and I can just change the boot order in the bios, right?

I'd really prefer to have both OS's running at the same time and some way to share files between them. I could run that for a couple weeks to get all the stuff off my old drive that I want to keep.

The reason I want the full OS is that when I run some programs from the D: (old xp drive) I'll need to get the passwords and such from them. I think VM is the way to go for this.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »
I don't know of any way to run 2 operating systems at the same time to 2 different monitors. But I am sure someone must know how.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »
I don't know of any way to run 2 operating systems at the same time to 2 different monitors. But I am sure someone must know how.

Actually it's quite easy! Two computers next to each other! Hehehe

But on a serious note, virtual machines are definitely the way to go. I personally like VirtualBox because it handles Linux and all the other ones very well. If you're only going to be using Win7 (as the base) and running XP or some other MS OS then you could just as easily use VirtualPC or Windows XP mode that is built into Win 7. VirtualBox has a seamless mode where you can have Linux (or other OS) maximized on a second monitor and you can move your mouse back and forth between the two and even drag and drop files. I have it set up that way with my Win7 and Xubuntu. If you have questions, just shoot me a PM!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
I thought Virtual PC was only available with the upper Win7 stuff.... I have Home Premium.

I may need to use Virtual PC 2007?

I don't want to make this complicated, I would really like to have both OS's running side by side with file sharing.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »
Ok reading this...
Windows 7 XP Mode is available only for Ultimate, Professional, and Enterprise editions of Windows 7. You don't have any of those versions. You will not be able to install Windows 7 XP Mode on your machine. Windows 7 Virtual PC can be installed on Starter, Home, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions of Windows 7. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows 7, install the 64-bit version of Virtual PC. Otherwise, install the 32-bit version. In case you are wondering, the 64-bit version of Virtual PC does not support 64-bit guest operatins systems. All versions of Virtual PC only support 32-bit guest operating systems.

Once you have Virtual PC installed on your machine, you can create your own XP virtual machine using XP media you own. The download for XP Mode is only for Ultimate, Professional, and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 Virtual PC installed. What "get another system to install in Windows Virtual PC" means is that you'll have to use your own media to create an XP virtual machine instead of downloading the prebuilt XP virtual machine contained in the XP Mode download.

I will be able to get/run Windows Virtual PC. Then I'll setup my D: drive as an XP, and both should run side by side.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
Precisely....or you could just use VirtualBox and use whatever OS you want!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
LOL maybe later... right now I just want to have my New system running next to my Old system so I can get stuff copied over easily. I'll run it for a couple weeks and when I notice that I'm not even checking the old system anymore, I'll pull that drive.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Sounds good! If you have any issues PM me or catch me in vent!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »
No need to be complicated.  Just goto your control panel of your new host OS and enable the ability to boot another volume.  Not sure how it's done with Win7 since I normally use GRUB under Linux.  I know you can do the same with Windows so it should be easy/sleazy.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
No need to be complicated.  Just goto your control panel of your new host OS and enable the ability to boot another volume.  Not sure how it's done with Win7 since I normally use GRUB under Linux.  I know you can do the same with Windows so it should be easy/sleazy.

Grub will do it in windows 7 too I believe wont it?  When you load up linux on win7 to dual boot doesn't it configure it automatically for you?  I thought when I installed it, it did that auto.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
I will still enjoy my beauty of running 4 OS's on 4 monitors and smoothly moving between all of them! (With the same Win7 changing wallpaper across all of them)

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
I am curious as to which product you decided upon(vmware or virtualbox). I am about to build a new toy and am gonna have the same issues to deal with.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
Neither, my old WinXP drive loaded just fine as my D: drive with my new Win7 on C:

I've been moving files across and d-loading stuff I want to keep. I'll run like this for a while til I notice I'm not using the D: drive anymore.

Tags: