Author Topic: The end is a new beginning.  (Read 19028 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
The end is a new beginning.
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
+2
After the announced closure of ScriptUO, I was amazed by the outpouring of concern and support in PMs.  Many people offered either monetary help or just to plain take over the responsibilities of running this site.  I've got some pretty high standards for how to run a public site (as bitched about by the people failing the intro test).  That goes further from the administrative perspective making sure the site runs with relatively clean error logs and hand-modification of mods until they work just right.

After contemplating the potential of transferring ownership to a new person, I decided that'd be an acceptable option if the right person stepped forward. 

I've known and worked with Tidus for years and years now.  He's proven to know his way around network administration and has the available LAMP infrastructure to host this site and administer it going forward.  So in the next few days and weeks, he'll take over the full day-to-day hosting and administration of this site.  He's promised to maintain it, so hopefully what you see now will be what you'll see in a few years.  I always hate seeing site radicallly change their look because a site kinda becomes "homey" after a while and users feel a sense of loss when the site look/feel undergo changes.  ScriptUO only changed once (forced to) in its entire existence.  So hopefully he'll be able to keep that tradition alive.  (hopefully no conversions to VBulletin or that gawd-aweful Xenforo)

I'll stick around through the transition process and once the site is up and running smoothly at its new home (switching servers) then I'll depart these shores.

So help me in thanking and welcoming your new Admin, Tidus!  Gimlet has also enthusiastically re-volunteered to continue on as your Greeter-in-chief GMOD. 

So good news for you and hopefully this will infuse a bit of enthusiasm in the community as a whole.  (Har, he said a-hole).

All my best,
TM

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:56:11 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Gandolf

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Gandolf has no influence.
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The end is a new beginning.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
Sorry to see you go
Welcome , Tidus

Online gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
So sorry to see you go Trail it has been fun and a good ride!
Welcome New Boss!

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »
Congrats on Tidus on winning the popularity contest .  Now that we have a king, who will  be the Queen.      Glad to see  this  friendly site will remain up and in good hand.   

Long live TIdus the first
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:43:32 AM by The Ghost »

Offline cybercasper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • cybercasper has no influence.
  • Respect: +41
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
TIME FOR THE KING TO GO LONG LIVED KING TM.

WELCOME THE NEW KING. KING TIDUS MAKE THE PEOPLE PROUD :)

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
Congratulations on your choice for a successor to your long-lived rule of ScriptUO.

Welcome, Tidus!  It is good to see that someone will keep this wonderful community alive and be growing...!

ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »
+1
Thank you everyone for the support. We are hoping to make this a very smooth transition with little downtime. We are going to do a test transfer in the next few days and then if all goes well the site will be put into maintenance mode. As the DNS resolves it will cause a possible downtime of up to 24 hours for some.

The plan is to continue all things SUO. The look will not change and the small adventures TM was embarking on will hopefully continue.  Thank you everyone. Future posts to come.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
+1
Tidus, Just for future reference, if technical site related issues pop up in the future or you you simply get bored or don't feel like carrying the cost etc I can host the site on my servers. I'm a webmaster by trade and can provide references of sites I have owned(even a few I have left unchanged, lol) dating back to 1995. I currently own/maintain about 30 websites so adding one more would not be difficult.

What I won't do, however, is presume to know enough about EUO scripting to even remotely fill the mighty footprints created by TM(or you), my offer is purely technical, should the need ever arise, as I have no interest in "running" the site on the people end. If it comes down to pure hosting, maintenance, behind the scenes technical stuff or database issues etc... you're in my wheelhouse on that front, if you want/need help. Hopefully you "got it covered" though :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:55:06 AM by Gemviper »

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »
Congrats and thank you Tidus for stepping up!

It'll be nice to have some continuity with you and Gimlet at the helm.

Offline Detox

• Activity:
    0%
  • Detox has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
Congrats Tidus, Just make sure that you stick around until 2037,  :laugh:

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 04:57:30 PM »
Updated the post with my rendition of "That's all folks!"  heh.  Compliments of my Snapchat-obsessed girlfriend.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
Girlfriend? Argh, now we know why we're losing TM! Hurry up and marry her bro, you'll be back then! You know that's how it works!

J/K

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
+1
Girlfriend? Argh, now we know why we're losing TM! Hurry up and marry her bro, you'll be back then! You know that's how it works!

J/K

Lol, girlfriend of nearly 14 years.  So nothing new there.  Married 7 years before that, so that's a tunnel I don't want to drive through again.  And I like driving through tunnels in my Hellcat. heheh

Come play RIFT with me!

Offline sumsum

• Activity:
    0%
  • sumsum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
Awesome congratulations! Now how do we go about getting easyuo patched faster?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 11:26:39 AM »
Awesome congratulations! Now how do we go about getting easyuo patched faster?

Heh, well the Elites are scripting away!  :)

I'm sure you won't miss my relentless teasing.... heheh
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: