Author Topic: Letter/Email sent to Jeremy D.  (Read 7049 times)

Offline TidusTopic starter

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Letter/Email sent to Jeremy D.
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Letter/Email sent to Jeremy D.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
usually when I talk to someone, somehow the term "back in the day"....
I've heard rumors that a 1 or 2 character slot shard is in the works... if this shard goes live.. I may have a new home.   

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
I don't think merging shards could accomplish too much.  The main thing it would do is put players 'closer' together.  Which would be both a good thing & a bad thing depending on the player.  For me personally if that happened I would just leave & not come back.  Why?  Well I could go on & on but it's mainly about me & my preferences.  I don't play a "dead" shard either, but it's not an Atlantic either lol.

I think uo is mostly a grind in getting items, raising skills, etc.  Once you get all those or work them, there just really isnt any 'real' systems to compete/participate in.  Factions could be one but it is dead and STILL gives a huge restriction (Skill loss in a completely now skill based game...  Seriously, 80-90 in skill during stat loss = go idle afk for 20min or so).  From there guilds/alliances, and player vendors.  But it's just not enough.  

I think UO should focus on more things for player participation (besides crappy ass events that are drug on and repeatitive lol).  Good/Evil, Chaos/Order revamped and all systems have a total different thing then another for endless combinations or whatever.  

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
usually when I talk to someone, somehow the term "back in the day"....
I've heard rumors that a 1 or 2 character slot shard is in the works... if this shard goes live.. I may have a new home.   

It was done years ago, siege ;)

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »
I mean.. Pre pubish 21. no contex menu's provocation is target based. uh.. its been so long I can't remeber..

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
Lol, you beat me to the reply!  Perhaps Siege, but without all those other annoying restrictions.  Although, I did enjoy my time on Siege.

I've never been a big fan of merging shards.  Personally, I kinda like playing on a dead shard; I hate fighting for a spawn, or dealing with all the noobs.

I still think they should bring some sort of way to quickly and temporarily transfer from shard to shard.  Now that seems to be impossible due to the duping, but I believe your character being able to move around easily from shard to shard would be helpful.  No bank transfers, no ridable transfers, no backpack transfers, just your character in its nekkid awesomeness.  You can dupe nothing all you want.  ;)

Once they can get a handle on the duping situation, then perhaps be able to transfer what you're wearing/wielding.

It's working pretty well for Dark Age of Camelot, and it's a Mythic joint, so why not UO?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 04:36:48 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
Actually Tidus, in DAoC they have somewhat the same idea that you are talking about.  They have player housing areas that are located at various portals off the main land.  It might be possible to create a new generic land that's capable of handling various sized player housing.  Then just transfer the houses, contents and all to these new areas.  You won't be in "Trammel" or "Felucca" anymore, but specific housing lands that are connected to the main facets of a new megashard.  Again, it's kinda proven technology in DAoC.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
I was at Best Buy yesterday getting a remote for my Direct TV and decided to stop by the game section and do some browsing. No where was UO to be found on the shelves. Now I'm not sure what all is involved in keeping games stocked at various retail outlets but if EA can't keep the UO on the shelf then how the in world are you going to attract more of a playerbase. And if there not continously adding more content how are they going to keep existing players going.

I'd like to see more content added. I know fix the bugs first but there have always been bugs since it's release...

What I'd like to see and it's probably not feasible is a Moongate that you can you to jump into and take you to any shard of your choosing without penalties or having to pay for a damn transfer token. They don't have to merge all the shards per se but grant players access to all the shards. I'm not sure if this would be opening up Pandora's Box but this was one of the original concepts when they first introduced shards.

Right now I just want more content! More items, more land, more monsters, more quests, more craftables, more peerless or even demi God like Creatures. More, more, more!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they started allowing transfers between shards without much penalty.  When the population on DAoC plummeted, they added NPC channelers that will transfer you to whatever server you want to go.  So if you want to play with a bunch of peeps, then no problem.  Perhaps 1 transfer per week per account and manage the items transfered like I suggested a couple posts ago.

Still duping is out of control and I don't think the current development team is capable of fixing it.  With that issue still in play, I wouldn't expect many changes at all.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
1 transfer per week would be pretty good by me. I always browse finduo for items on other shards so to be able to shop on other shards here and there would be great. I've been in the market for Overseer sundered blade recipe for 6 months now and have not seen it on my shard. There was 2 on Baja for sale yesterday that I would have grabbed in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay for xfer token.

Maybe they could make x-sharding virtue related when you become a Knight in say Spirituality you can xfer to another shard 3 times a week.

The duping I just don't understand why they can't fix it and create a database of item ID's and redflag if there are any duplicates. But I'm not giftd coder to understand the ins and outs and the time required to pull off such an eandeveor.

Allowing xsharding would also add alot of competition to the PVP playerbase. Now all the top PvP guilds on each shard would be able to face off which would make for an interesting experience I'm sure.

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
I've always thought that you should only have the 5 or 6 or 7 character slots or how many you wanted to purchase. then allow anyone to use any moongate to port to other shards, or use special gates to run between shards. just a thought of which i have a lot. Imagine a war between atlantic and pacific, or chessy and LS, now that could be fun.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
I've always thought that you should only have the 5 or 6 or 7 character slots or how many you wanted to purchase. then allow anyone to use any moongate to port to other shards, or use special gates to run between shards. just a thought of which i have a lot. Imagine a war between atlantic and pacific, or chessy and LS, now that could be fun.

Yea .. that a good idea.. I thourght of that myself some years ago... I think i even wrote it up on some freeshard boards.. Gates to different freeshards would be pretty awsome as well...

Hopefully EA would do some creative thinking like that.. but thier again maybe they dont want to loose the cash from xfer tokens.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 12:10:36 AM »

Yea .. that a good idea.. I thourght of that myself some years ago... I think i even wrote it up on some freeshard boards.. Gates to different freeshards would be pretty awsome as well...

Hopefully EA would do some creative thinking like that.. but thier again maybe they dont want to loose the cash from xfer tokens.

But then again most of EA's major dupings have been character transfer related.  I'd hate to see them attempt a shard gate that was freely jumpable! :P

But on another note how could they get jumping between the subservers at serverlines correct ;x

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 06:56:26 AM »
Simply .. this should be no harder than what already happens when a char is handed off from one server to another on the same shard.

But knowing EAs legacy code this probably means changing things all over the place so i wouldnt hold my breath on this actually happening but it is an excellent idea.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 08:33:50 AM »
But then again most of EA's major dupings have been character transfer related.  I'd hate to see them attempt a shard gate that was freely jumpable! :P

But on another note how could they get jumping between the subservers at serverlines correct ;x

And don't forget that some of the earliest dupe techniques known involved subservers and gates.... :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: