Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?  (Read 36117 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
+1
I tried out the free trial and just hated it.  It was way too much of a radical change that seemed to be more clunky.  Kinda reminded me of the decision of the Linux release of Gnome 3. 

So anyone actually using this on their main desktop/laptop instead of a tablet?

For me, if they don't officially release a Win7 compatibility mode, I simply will ride the Win7 horse until it drops dead.

What the heck is going on with these companies that seem to know better how we should use our computers?  It's a little bit too big brother for me.

At least with Linux, I could fall back on XFCE.  Wow, Windows 8 sucks!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
+1
Yeah, too big of a change in the windows line. Wtf is my start bar....... I have it on my new desktop, but I'm just tolerating it for now.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline bendel

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • bendel has no influence.
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:52:43 AM »
+1
They tried to make an beautiful "User friendly" interface for social network...  Who is interested in a DOS box yet? ITS UGLY !

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »
+1
I installed it on a Virtual Maschine to test compatibility of our Company Software.
As long as its possible i will skip Windows 8 personaly;)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
+1
Im still on XP .. and it took a crowbar to get me off win2000....  I will use it when i have to .. more than likely I'll just switch to whatever version of linex is current when im finially forced off xp.

IMHO each successive version is more bloated than the last, thiers only significant benifit increases every few versions....  new win OS = new cutting edge computer to run it, to get about the same speed you had on your 5year old box on the old os.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
+1
As a PC junkie for over a decade, it is my firm belief that Windows 7 is by far the best OS Microsoft has ever released. Adding a "touch-friendly" interface on top of W7 is just stupid. I understand the need to blend desktop and mobile, but W8 is not the answer. Try again Microsoft, let me know when W9 comes out!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
+1
Im still on XP .. and it took a crowbar to get me off win2000....  I will use it when i have to .. more than likely I'll just switch to whatever version of linex is current when im finially forced off xp.

IMHO each successive version is more bloated than the last, thiers only significant benifit increases every few versions....  new win OS = new cutting edge computer to run it, to get about the same speed you had on your 5year old box on the old os.

I also am still using Win XP. I completely agree about over bloating the software. My personal belief was that vista was ME with a face lift :)

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
+1

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
+1
If you are a truly avid scripter and are running multiple clients I'd highly suggest windows 7. It has the Ability to pixel scan across multiple maximized clients.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
+1
How do you do that Manwinc?  Ive always just positioned stuff so the scanned location isnt covered.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
+1
If you are a truly avid scripter and are running multiple clients I'd highly suggest windows 7. It has the Ability to pixel scan across multiple maximized clients.
If you are good enough to setup a server you could run multiple user logins with uo each running.If you have good CPU\RAM you could run a lot of virtual systems with 500 MB each ...
If you run stealth you could simple ignore ocr. No need anymore and could run multiple Accounts without starting client...
The Ways are infinite....

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
+1
I should probably start migrating over. Maybe when I start programming classes In the spring. I'm just too Proficient at Coding in EUO to start learning a new language to do the same thing if that makes any sense.

In Windows 7, there are some Personalized Settings that let you view multiple instances of the same program running when you position your cursor over it on your start bar. I'm looking right now through remote desktop to find out what the settings are.

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalize > Personalization

Its actually just the Windows 7 "Theme"

So long as a window isn't minimized, you can pixel scan it, No matter what's on top of it. Netflix, Scriptuo, another game/Instance. Its Insanely handy, if it weren't for this feature, i'd still be using XP. Mind you the CPU cost for Pixel scanning is very costly. I can run 80 Minimized clients on my Comp if they are minimized. I can only run about 20 if they are maximized.

Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »
+1
Wow... I can't believe I wasted someone else's money to buy this horse *bleep* of an operating system....

it looks like if you want a Windows 7 Clone you have to buy an App...

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »
+1
My new rig has a spiffy new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.  Take that other sucky operating systems!

Just take a look at the review on Amazon for Windows 8.  Someone said the OS is misnamed and should be renamed to "Tiles 1.0"  lol
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »
+1
it looks like a PC version of an IPOD/IPAD/IPhone... very disappointed by Microsoft...

Tags: