Author Topic: A little story  (Read 2658 times)

Offline HobyTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
A little story
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
Cervs freedom post reminded me of a experience I had while I served in the military.  This happened in 2002/2003 time frame.  My company was coming back from our deployment to Iraq and our first stop in the United States was Bangor, Maine (insert joke here).  The stewardeses (sp?) recommended we all get off the plane.  I took my time made sure all my junior enlisted got off first.  Me and a buddy of mine were by ourselves walking into the concourse when I looked up and saw about two hundred people waving signs and started screaming and yelling when they saw us.  I was stunned,  shocked and overwhelmed.  Then the crowd came up to us and hugged us and told us how much they appreciated what we did and that we were heros.  One of the locals that owned a cell phone kiosk had brought with him like 15 cell phones and made us call our family at his expense.  It was truely amazing.  I did not expect that at all.  I feel everyone serving overseas should get this kind of reception.  Just my two cents.   
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: A little story
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
Nice
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:50 PM »
Great story! Whether or not you agree with what's going on over there, people still should support the men and women who put their lives on the line. I'm glad you were able to get such a good welcome home!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Hey Hoby, what a great experience!  Very heartwarming for sure.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:44 PM »
They still do it.  Doesn't matter what time we fly in, those folks in Maine are still out there.  Love 'em.

Offline HobyTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »
Thats awesome, I had never heard of it happening until I witnessed it myself.  Many of them were vets themselves. 
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:39:59 AM »
Cervs freedom post reminded me of a experience I had while I served in the military.  This happened in 2002/2003 time frame.  My company was coming back from our deployment to Iraq and our first stop in the United States was Bangor, Maine (insert joke here).  The stewardeses (sp?) recommended we all get off the plane.  I took my time made sure all my junior enlisted got off first.  Me and a buddy of mine were by ourselves walking into the concourse when I looked up and saw about two hundred people waving signs and started screaming and yelling when they saw us.  I was stunned,  shocked and overwhelmed.  Then the crowd came up to us and hugged us and told us how much they appreciated what we did and that we were heros.  One of the locals that owned a cell phone kiosk had brought with him like 15 cell phones and made us call our family at his expense.  It was truely amazing.  I did not expect that at all.  I feel everyone serving overseas should get this kind of reception.  Just my two cents.   

All I can say of this is AMEN !!

Offline formerlyrara

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • formerlyrara has no influence.
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
There are many stories out there like this, I know when 4 of us flew back from Bahrain back in 2007 everyone could tell we were military and the london flight crew came and got us out of coach and brought us up forward to take the empty first class seats, when the first class passengers saw what was happening they all gathered around us and talked with us entire flight to england, and when we boarded our flight from england to states some of them were with us and gave up their spots to us so we can enjoy the nice flight home. It was a great feeling to be recognized by foreigners like that, and honestly a non military town shows so much more support then a regular military town, fly into norfolk and you see military all the time so no they dont give up seats or say a word to you but show up in some obscure ( non military town ) and you will get all sorts of commendation. It is a great feeling to be sure. Sorry for hijacking thread just wanted to say there are a lot of us out there that have experienced this and i wanted to say thank you for letting me serve you!

Tags: