Author Topic: Need a few good fletching resource sites  (Read 4472 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Need a few good fletching resource sites
« on: October 01, 2015, 05:34:18 AM »
I finished putting together a stupidly expensive luck suit for my ABC archer that squeezed as much of everything I need into it. I saved getting a good bow for last and I thought it would be easy to pick up a Compound Bow with HML, HSL, SSI, DI and the right Slayer since every cookie cutter ABC archer needs those on their PvM bow, boy was I wrong. I did find one bow that was 4/5 of what I wanted but the guy wanted 38 million for it?!? That told me I need to add fletching to my mule asap, so I did.

Now I want to fill my archer's locker with a lot of compound bows which maximize damage vs individual monsters. What I'd like to know is how to efficiently make these and there seems to be very little online that has much definitive(or recent) value. I won't be using the enhance tool so I'll be using runics... probably an ash runic? What's the process though? I'm only needing 35 SSI to reach 1.25 ticks so I'm not too worried about max intensities.

- use normal wood and eat the fails on the enhance attempt later or use ash wood up front?
- Gears add the slayer? If so, at what stage do you use those?
- How do I maximize the chance of getting the 4 bonuses I want along with the slayer?
- It doesn't help that I want to match damage type to the slayer type(sea serpents are weak to energy damage + snake/reptile slayer for example).

This is all stuff I'll figure out eventually but I like to read up on stuff first and Google has been stingy on the subject, if you know how to make these cookie cutter ABC bows and don't mind sharing how you do it, or you know of a good resource site for fletching PvM ABC bows I'd appreciate the help if you'd share a link.

ABC archers aren't as popular as they used to be, throwers are more fun imo, and they don't hold a light to "sampy suits" in terms of what everyone is after but surely there has to be a few good places to describe the process somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:38:20 AM by Gemviper »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
Re: Need a few good fletching resource sites
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:03:03 AM »
I'm in the middle of doing EXACTLY this.

For starters, I would suggest making 100% elementals. Every encounter is going to have a low resist, for example 100% cold for Rikktor. From here you Imbue the remaining applicable properties, again depending on the encounter. Enhancing afterward is entirely up to you but I wouldn't bother without a tool because your investment up to the enhancement point is quite high as is the chance to break if you're not enhancing with the tool.

Here's an example of my process with compound bows:
1) Create exceptional compound bow with Normal wood and Normal Fletching tools
2) Reforge with Oak runic with Powerful, Grand, Inspired, Exquisite of Quality. Eventually you will get 100% elementals. You don't want to use Ash or something higher because you will get too many other attributes that you don't actually want.
3) Powder of Fortifying to 255 - I forget this ALL THE FRIGGING TIME! I don't know why, I just do. Nothing like burning 20 Oak kits to get a 100% cold bow then burning a bunch of Void Orbs, White Pearls, Essence of Control, etc to get it all Imbued up and ready only to realize you are at 62/62 durability! Damn!
4) Imbue. For Rikktor my compound is 30SSI, 40DI, 37ML, Dragon Slayer, and the rest in HLA. Depends on your character and how you play obviously but this suits mine well.
5) If you're going to enhance this is when you do it. You want to Imbue and/or Reforge as much as you can THEN enhance so you over-cap the stats you're enhancing for. This is why the Enhance Tool is worth investing in. Probably not as much for a weapon since, for example, that extra 10 SSI isn't really necessary when you're swinging max with pots anyhow. But try to make a 190 luck leather piece without it :)

For spawns I bring both a spawn weapon and a champ weapon. Spawn weapon focuses on area damage with leech while the champ weapon focuses on direct damage with leech (and AI). Stuff like that.

I don't know about using gears, I think those were only applicable to the Juka Bows or something weren't they?

I'm sure there is a ton more advice out there but this is a quick rundown of the basics and I'm definitely open to correction! :)

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
Well say 12Times.   I see our chat is going around. ;)    All three build (Sammy/archer/Thrower) are good, it all depend how you use them.  I'm a big believer are using the right weapon for the right monster. I usually have 2 to 4 weapons while hunting.

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
I thought it would be easy to pick up a Compound Bow with HML, HSL, SSI, DI and the right Slayer

You can actually imbue that with points to spare.

50HML
50HSL
30SSI
50DI
Regular slayer
= 530 imbue points when there's a 550 cap. 550 imbue points when a super slayer is imbued.

You can usually buy a plain elemental damage for 7ish and those mods would cost in the neighborhood of 4-6mil in imbuing ingredients. If you're playing OSI and not freeshards...

The new talisman in the expansion has that extra 5swing speed you're looking for too!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:25:43 AM by bodfather »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
I thought it would be easy to pick up a Compound Bow with HML, HSL, SSI, DI and the right Slayer

You can actually imbue that with points to spare.

50HML
50HSL
30SSI
50DI
Regular slayer
= 530 imbue points when there's a 550 cap. 550 imbue points when a super slayer is imbued.

You can usually buy a plain elemental damage for 7ish and those mods would cost in the neighborhood of 4-6mil in imbuing ingredients. If you're playing OSI and not freeshards...
You can't put 50 HSL/HML on a composite bow with 30 SSI, I'm pretty sure it maxes at 37.

Honestly, I'm thinking even less gold than that for ingredients. For example HML/HSL at max is 10 Void Orb which I see for about 250-300k quite often but cost next to nothing when you make them yourself. Essence of Control I see often for about 225k for 10 but it takes only 15 minutes or so to run through the Goblin mini-champ to get enough yourself anyhow. Add to that 10 White Pearl (or whatever) for the slayer and your pretty much done.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »
Great info.

- Yes, the gears only work on unconverted Juka bows
- Start by making compound bows with a regular tool and regular wood
- for an ABC archer wanting only HSL, HML, SSI, DI and Slayer you should reforge with ASH runic or lower and choose animated/haste? **
- Don't forget to POF !!
- Imbue
- Enhancing is not going to benefit an ABC archer weapon without the tool

** this is the setting causing me problems. Using a runic below ash and targeting exquisite/of quality will yield elemental bows but this is an added step that pretty much guarantees you're going to burn a heck of a lot of charges before getting an ABC bow with the 5 stats you want. It's bad enough just trying for ONLY HML+SSI on Animated/haste without a 3rd property showing up when using ASH(for the higher intensity).

** a tip I picked up a long time ago with my blacksmith: Back then you could drop a freshly made weapon on a vendor and let it auto-price. Even though the tooltip was the same for all GM weapons you put on the vendor you could judge by the price which weapon was best and it actually did more damage than a lower priced weapon. Since the auto-price no longer works the same(??) it would seem that durability signals the same, the higher the durability on a fresh GM bow the more likely it is to do slightly more damage regardless of tooltip. This is not proven, of course, but it's cheaper to POF anyway so why not.

*** Sales: If you're doing this for money in hopes of selling bows you should reforge with a lower tool to guarantee only 2 properties show up and this is where you use animated/haste only. I've really been in fel with my thief/idoc toon too much and am out of touch with which SLAYER sells best right now, but you can consider not adding slayer and going with hit chance instead since many people feel that it's better to have an all around bow that misses less(and doesn't make you take more damage from the opposing creature types). I'd love to hear more tips about making these for profit if you're not on Atlantic OSI :)

**EDIT** This is an example of why I'm asking if there's good resource sites useful to fletching, example: I made a clean 100% fire damage bow and, naturally, I want to know what is weak to fire before I assign a slayer type to the weapon. So I hit google looking for all sorts of things from basic monster charts to "ultima online monster resist chart" and Google is feeding me pages like this - http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/resistance.shtml which are useful but hardly about MONSTER resistances, and then there's this result - http://uo2.stratics.com/monsters/  which is less than useful.

A complete list of all monsters in Ultima Online with a sortable table for resistances would be good, because clicking through pages like this one http://www.uoguide.com/Monsters  ?? I'll be old by the time I look at them all, lol.

I can't be the only one wanting such data, but can't seem to find a good source. (and yes, I am looking everywhere, even in foreign languages via google translate, lol)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:09:35 PM by Gemviper »

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »
You can't put 50 HSL/HML on a composite bow with 30 SSI, I'm pretty sure it maxes at 37.

Honestly, I'm thinking even less gold than that for ingredients.

Yeah i was going by knuckleheads imbuing weight calculator. Didn't even think about the leeches going down with ssi.

Yeah if you got exact amounts. Most of the time if I need 10 i'll go ahead and buy 100 cause I know i'll always screw up and need more. lol.

@Gemviper: http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/   This is the stratics hunters guide. All you gotta do is find what you want to kill and it tells which slayer and their stats. It's pretty useful. Also good for finding max stats for taming.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:28:17 PM »
I'll check out that link now, thanks.

I just built a 100% cold damage bow with dragon slayer, 50% HSL, 37% HML, 40% DI and 30% SSI. I can bump the DI up to 50% but it's a 9% chance on some expensive mats and my suit gets me to cap without it so I'll pass. I could get the SSI up to 40% by enhancing with ASH but that's not happening without a forge tool and I'm not sure it's worth the cost to be honest, I'm 5 over 1.5 speed as is and don't want to clip any luck on this suit for a small speed gain that doesn't reach the next tic. If I swap to a suit with less luck I'll consider it then.

Now excuse me while I go check out that link and then poke holes in Rikktor :)

Oh, and about earning gold from fletching, it seems that clean reforged bows with only 100% elemental damage sell for 2 million per, up to 3 mil for fire and 5 mil for poison. Pretty simple to make too, I burned 300 charges and got 4 at a cost of 125k per 45 charges. I'm at a profit if I sell just one :)

Tags: