Author Topic: Android App Programming  (Read 4907 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Android App Programming
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
For anyone who's thinking about going into mobile app development, I can't say enough how much fun it has been working with the Android SDK and writing apps! As part of a Senior Design project, another student and myself wrote an iPhone app for workorder management for a local business over the course of 2 semesters (3 credits per semester). In literally 4 hours, I re-wrote the entire app for the Android platform! Java + XML >> Objective-C + Apple Interface Builder!! The only thing I liked better for iOS was that you can make slightly nicer looking GUI's BUT that is ONLY because iOS only needs to handle 2 different size screens (iPhone/iTouch and iPad). Apple lets you explicitly position objects on the screen, whereas in Android, you need to be much more careful since you don't know if it will be on a 2.4" screen or a 10.1" screen or any size in between. This requires you to put a lot more thought into your layouts (which I actually think is a benefit) and ultimately provides much better flexibility. If anyone is interested in learning the Android platform, I'm happy to help and answer questions. At the end of the summer, if anyone needs any Android development, I might have some time to do some bigger side projects (19 credit final semester, 3 part-time jobs, and wedding planning keeps me quite busy right now).
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Android App Programming
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Ya, it is pretty cool..  You can simulate the android device on your desktop without even deploying to hardware.  It's neato.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
Yup alot of fun.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »
Yea the emulator works great, and it's really not hard at all to deploy either! I went smart and installed the Dropbox app on my phone and tablet so when I make a major overhaul to the app, I just export it to my desktop's Dropbox folder, then open the app on both and download/install! No connecting anything to the computer and it's updated instantly! Really slick!!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
So I'm thinking about starting to write some Android apps to make a little money on the side (it's amazing what people will buy for .99 cents!). Anyone have any ideas of some apps I should write (and possibly sell for dirt cheap)?

Tags: android  java