Author Topic: TrailMyx's VOB file Joiner  (Read 44299 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
TrailMyx's VOB file Joiner
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
+1
So I've been converting my entire DVD collection over to my windows media PC.  There are many disk that have their various chapters spread out across many files, so I wanted to be able to compress selected .VOB files into one contiguous one.  There are a couple utilities that do this, but they suck pretty bad.

So I decided to write one myself.  If you guys think you have the need, please give this a whirl.  It works great for me. 

Enjoy!

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=5
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: TrailMyx's VOB file Joiner
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:42:54 AM »
+1
Thanks for uploading this TM I'll test it out on a few movies. Most of my Movies are MKV but there are some VOB files for documentaries and older DVDs I have. This joiner could could prove useful.

I'd love to hook up all my movies to Windows Media Center but most of my movies are big files and I could only load up a fraction. I'm waiting for the HAMR HDDs to start hitting the market. They should top out at 60 Terabytes which but it's going to be a few years.

How are you liking Media Center?

Do you have a remote you use? I was looking googling that yesterday....what the best method for controlling your HTPC so you don't have to get up from the couch. Wireless mouse and keyboard or remote control? Hmm...

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:23:48 AM »
+1
Right now I'm using a 6TB array and have only ripped around 320 movies and only used a little over 1TB.  I'm a little more than 1/2 done, so I'll be able to easily contain all my DVDs including all my TV series episodes.  I won't be able to do many of the bluerays though.

The only strange function I found with this program is if there is a physical defect on the disk, the program will not recover gracefully.  So you need to let it crash, clean your disk and try again.  My program is about 20% faster than the other ones out there, so at least there is a bit of performance benefit.

I've actually shifted away from Media Center.  There are two others I'm playing with that are very interesting.   12X suggested this one: XBMC.  I really like this one.   It's got a great interface for cover art.  I also am maintaining Plex because it works for both as a windows media app and my Rokus.  Streaming to the Rokus around my house is really awesome.  But they both are WAAAAY faster than windows media server.  At this point, I'm probably going to adopt XBMC.

Actually I'm using windows media + MyMovies to initially create a database and initially download cover-art.  After that, I tweek it with XBMC/Plex for general use.

I have a little dedicated home entertainment PC from Zotac.  I purchased several mouse/keyboard combinations until I found one I really like.  It's got great range and the battery life seems to be OK.  Another great Logitech product.  I really like their Unifying interface.

I'm ripping my movies without compression.  Although I think MKV looks pretty good, I wanted the transfer to be lossless so I can store the DVDs in the garage once and for all.  I may take my images and further compress them with Handbrake, and use my drive as the master backup so I can hold more.  But at this point, the 6TB drive will more than allow for most of my collection.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:52:46 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tommy Boy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Tommy Boy has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
+1

I'm ripping my movies without compression.  Although I think MKV looks pretty good, I wanted the transfer to be lossless so I can store the DVDs in the garage once and for all.

I've done the exact same thing.  I have around 600 DVDs and currently 81 Blu-Rays.  I've been ripping the DVDs for about 5 years now.  I would buy it, rip-it and never touch the actual disc again.  Pretty handy for keeping kid's DVDs in good shape.

Your program sounds pretty good.  I'll have to give it a try. 

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
+1
I love XBMC... I have been using the softmod version of it since Highschool when I softmodded my original xbox. 360 aint got *bleep* on originals!

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »
+1
I really wish I would have gotten a Rokus instead of a WD live plus.. its really slow and choppy at times took me forever to figure out how to view the covers instead of file names... concidering making the change... how do you like your rokus TM?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
+1
I started with one and now I have 3.  Nuff said.  ;)  I like it better all the time.  I'm even thinking of starting to develop software for it.

Keep an eye on Woot.com.  The have refurbs all the time.  They're so cheap that you can get one of the cheapies to play with.

I have quite found a way to play my uncompressed DVDs yet.  Looks like Plex just doesn't support that yet.  However, it plays my MKVs just fine.  One push to compress the collection.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions regarding the Roku.  I'm getting a better understanding all the time about them.  I still love my TiVos though.  There's room for both of them in my entertainment regime.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:29:22 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
+1
Hey Tommy Boy,  what was your final data usage after that conversion?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:11:29 AM »
+1
Once you go Blu Ray there is no going back. I really have a hard time watching movies that I know are in Blu on regular old DVD. Granted not all Blu xfers are great some are downright horrible and no better than the actual DVD but by large there is a huge difference. Blu Ray is watching all my favorite movies like they were just released yesterday. The downside is the size he size and the time required. Blu rays I rip can range anywhere from 10-30 GB but it's well worth it. Like I said I'm waiting on those HAMR HDDs.

How does the ROKU UFC channel work? If you select that channel does it show anything or just a "you must subscribe to use this channel?".

Thanks for the input about the HTPC system you have set up. I'll look into the software and remote devices.

We need a dedicated HTPC forum.  8)

Offline Tommy Boy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Tommy Boy has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
+1
Hey Tommy Boy,  what was your final data usage after that conversion?

Well, right now I have 289 uncompressed DVDs on one 2.0 TB RAID1, using just under 1.7TBs of space.  I have another 190 uncompressed DVDs on a second 2.0 TB RAID1 and have used just over 1.0 TBs of it's space.

I've ripped them for years using AnyDVDHD & NERO 7, a full version which came with one of my early DVD burners.  NERO 8, 9 & 10 all suck.

My media storage is WHS 2011.  I'm still using the same drives and RAID controllers I had in my WHSv1 box but I want to upgrade to a better, higher capacity controller and Western Digital RE drives to build a RAID5 or RAID6.

I stream over wired network to a Western Digital TV Live connected via HDMI to my Plasma and optical cable to my Sony receiver.  The WDTV Live plays the VOBs perfectly.  The UI uses the DVD cover art in the menu.

So far I've only ripped a few of my Blu-Ray discs.  I prefer uncompressed video and audio but I end up with 20-30 GBs per disc plus I've yet to invest in a really good ripper for Blu-Rays.  I've tried a few of the free options and a trial of NERO 11 Platinum and PowerDVD 11, haven't tried 12 yet.  Haven't been really impressed with any of them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:43:13 PM by Tommy Boy »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
+1
I use MakeMkv. Currently I have about 18TB worth and counting of Blu Rays archived that's about 500 Blu Rays. Quality over Quantity any day of the week. It gets costly but I can justify it because I'm not paying for any television so it's a wash. Too bad about the damn floods in Thailand last year and they raised the prices on HDDs.

Lots of Blu Rays not on the market but it's been a good release year. Indiana Jones Trilogy finally hits Blu this year. Let's hope they do a good job on the transfer.

So many movies I wish they'd put on Blu Ray but the process is slow because people aren't transitioning fast enough from DVD to Blu Ray and the streaming market has filled a large portion of people's access to movie entertainment.

One day I will have my 60TB HAMR drive with a Thunderbolt 4.0 Interface with all my Blu Rays on it. Hard part is getting the Blu Rays and backing them up...that can be a lengthy process.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:22:24 PM by Ultima »

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »
+1
Hey, I've read thru this thread and I still can't figure out how this gets me more runic kits in Heartwood.  Help?

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 05:44:38 AM »
+1
did you download the vob converter and tryied to convert a dvd while running the heartwood 2.0 while doing a Jig Dance?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
+1
I'm over 400 disks into my DVD conversion.  I haven't started any of my episode disks yet.  So that's ST-TNG, Voyager, Breaking Bad, Red Dwarf, Stargate, Monty Python's Flying Circus, etc.  Lots of disks there.  But it looks like I'll have enough room on this hard drive array to also store my Bluerays.  I've yet to try a Blueray with 1-click DVD copy pro yet.  Hopefully it'll work OK - been a CHAMP at the DVDs.  Only ran into 3 disks with protections sufficient to baffle it.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »
+1
I reallly like XBMC now.  It's a great way to organize all your media stuffz.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: