Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 70530 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Raspberry Pi
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »
So I took some pics of my new Raspberry Pi and thought I'd do a quick write up. I'll be adding more once the rest of my parts come in for the HTPC!

Album: http://imgur.com/a/OSVHK

So let's do a quick run down of specs and inputs/outputs...

Specs:
- 700MHz ARM 11 processor
- 256MB RAM

I/O: (Board Diagram)
- 1 x SD (full size) card slot (operating system is loaded on here...mainly Debian linux distros, Class 4 or higher is recommended)
- 2 x USB 2.0 ports (cannot handle devices that draw power, use an external powered hub for that! I believe the max power is 500mA)
- 1 x 10/100 Ethernet jack
- 1 x HDMI (supports full 1080P HD video) w/ digital audio over HDMI (H.264 @ 40MBits/s, OpenGL ES2.0 & OpenVG)
- 1 x Composite video output
- 1 x 3.5mm (1/8") stereo audio output
- 1 x Micro-USB input (this is the power source)
- 26-pin GPIO (supports PCM, I2C, all kinds of other stuff)

If you have more questions about the specs or general info: http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

What makes this different from other boards like Arduinos and MAKE controllers?
- Whereas other boards are "hobby boards", the RPi can actually run an operating system (Linux, primarily Debian distros)

What makes it so awesome?
- It's only $35 (plus another $10-ish for the case) and can power a full-featured Home Theater PC (HTPC)!

What do I plan to do with it?
- Build an awesome HTPC so my wife can finally play all her BluRay Downton Abbey episodes (yea..sadly it's the truth). How do I plan to do it? Stay tuned and I'll shown you once my other parts arrive!!!

For now, enjoy the pics! Sorry they're not the greatest quality because I just snapped them with my Galaxy SII camera. I put a standard Sharpie in a few of the pictures so you can grasp the scale of it! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them after my next post!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:33:58 PM by UOMaddog »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
BTW, where did you purchase yours?  I found them at Newark, but they seem to be in permanent non-stock.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
Very nice!

Give us a brief run down of how it works once the rest of the parts arrive!

Dumb it down for me this time. ;)

I was thinking about checking out Downtown Abby myself! I heard it's good! DA has gotten some great reviews on Netflix.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:24 AM »
WOW I am glad you posted this. I never have heard of this and just purchased a prefab HTS and will take it back now with hopes that I can play with this for around 150 dollars less :) Thank you for this listing.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:17:06 AM »
TM they say out of stock but just go ahead and order it, as soon as they get it it gets shipped ... basically they are permanent out of stock... .. my order took about 3 weeks to get filled.

Maddog  where did you get that case... musch nicer than mine.

I guess i should have started a new thread on this myself instead of posting here... http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=10015.msg86015#msg86015

But to summerize what i wrote in that thread...
Buy the $4/$2 MPEG-2/VC-1 licenses to activate the hardware MPEG-2/VC-1 decode/encode from http://www.raspberrypi.com/

You can power it off the USB port of your tv.. with the added bonus of it turning on and off when you turn on off tv, if you use the last of the 3 options below you should be able to control it via your tv remote.

3 diff HTPC builds worth checking out...
http://www.raspbmc.com/

http://xbian.org/?page_id=17   <-- includes apple Airplay support for those apple fanatics

http://openelec.tv/home/menu/what-is-openelec  

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:21:02 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
I'll create a section to consolidate all these threads....
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
Perfect timing, I was getting ready to start a Home Theater Build thread in Off Topic - getting ready to start building in my new basement. Thinking 10-foot powered screen, 3D HD projector, HTPC, etc.

Definitely will be a nice forum!

Funny how we have gotten to be so much more than UO LOL.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
I ordered my case with the RPi from one of the two official distributors, RS Components (the other is Allied Electronics): http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/default.aspx?cl=1

You can choose Black, White, or Clear and they have plenty of other decently priced accessories (HDMI cables, SD cards, MicroUSB chargers, ethernet cables, etc)

I have not purchased any of the MPEG2 licenses yet and have not had any issues with playback. Most of my content is MKV and such. I had forgotten about running it off the back of a TV (using the service USB port which actually does supply power on most TV's), but you need to make sure it can put out at least 700mA to power it safely.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »
I ordered my case with the RPi from one of the two official distributors, RS Components (the other is Allied Electronics): http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/default.aspx?cl=1

Nice case ... but seems like that site is uk only as they charge VAT and high shipping... making that case cost $16.  I noticed they added an extra $7 for the pi in vat as well...  

Currently in Florida no VAT/Sales tax is payable for internet orders, So I think i will stick with Element

But that is a nice case
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
Wow You guys are doing all the data collecting for me. Pretty soon all I will have to do is place my order. I am sending my other HTPC back this weekend and will be purchasing this one.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:41 AM »
I found where you guys were asking about different cases. Found a few photos of where a guy built his case out of legos :)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
legos.jpg

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
So let me add to my story....

So I've decided the following setup since we'll be moving into a new house come February (which already has an outlet and cable jack installed above the mantle):

- RPi powered by USB port on TV connected to TV with ~1ft HDMI cable (will startup/shutdown with TV and it uses so little power I don't care)
- RPi Ethernet wired (via outlet using Netgear XET1001 85Mbps powerline adapter) to router OR if I can get a wireless USB adapter working, I might use that, but only if it can handle streaming and if the power from the TV can handle it!
- NAS to use as a media server (not sure which one I'm going to get yet)
- Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse as a backup, USB dongle connected to one of the RPi USB ports

I'm stuck on 2 issues:

#1. Whether to keep trying to get my bluetooth mini-keyboard working properly (getting it to connect via bluetooth and startup and prevent it from disconnecting) OR whether to just use the Android XMBC Remote Control app with either my phone or my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" tablet.

#2. What to do about playing physical DVDs/BluRays...I was hoping there'd be a way I could make my SATA BluRay disk drive wireless, but apparently even if you could, there'd be issues playing protected media (that's what I've read at least). Otherwise I have to rip every DVD/BR to my NAS (which I don't necessarily mind doing, but it would be nice to be able to pop in DVDs sometimes).

So here's where I take input...
- What NAS should I get?
- Does anyone know a way to make a SATA disk drive wireless? Even if I could somehow run it off a USB port in the NAS or something, that would be possible? Do you have some other solution?

I know some of you must have a good answer!!!

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
UOMadDog, What is that nifty keyboard remote you have?!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Ultra U12-41310
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
Ultra U12-41310

Are you having issues getting the software to recognize this bluetooth keyboard UOMaddog? Alot of the reviews I read had this same issue.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:07:45 PM by Masscre »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
Other options are the (22$ on amazon right now)

IPazzport Pro Mini KP-810-10-BTT by OrientEX

This Bluetooth handheld keyboard is a great accessory for your ipad / iphone 4 or later vision / Samsung galaxy P1000 / Smart Phone with bluetooth HID profile / laptop, home pc, Playstation or Wii gaming system.

It is a perfect combination of keyboard, touch and laser pointer for teaching or training, with keyboard, mouse and laser pointer all in one hand. Great for travel or as a gift.

Features:
- Portable and elegant;
- The world's first Touchpad 90-degree flip design;
- Innovative design of the Navigation keys;
- Windows Multimedia Control;
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery;
- Laser pointer / presentation with remote control;
- Real QWERT full-function mini keyboard.
- CARPC: car computer's best wireless solution!

System Requirements:
Android 3.0 OS or above
Mac OS
Linux(Debian-3.1, Redhat-9.0 Ubuntu-8.10 Fedora-7.0 tested)
Windows (all) with USB port
iPAD, iPhone
Google android TV and mobile phone(with bluetooth HID profile or driver, supporting bluetooth HID keyboard.)

Package include:
1 pc mini keyboard (bluetooth receiver / rechargeable battery included)
1 pc usb cable (mini-usb charging)
1 pc user's manual
1 pc hand strap lanyard

NOTE:
1. Touchpad doesn't work with Tablet and Mobile Phone.
2. All Android TV and Mobile Phones require bluetooth HID profile.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
key1.jpg
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:54:11 PM by Masscre »

Tags: