Author Topic: So You Want To Be A Treasure Hunter?  (Read 48962 times)

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: So You Want To Be A Treasure Hunter?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
+1
Thanks to your treasure Hunter write up and finding out about the coffin pieces I went out last night and did 5 level 6 Maps. In one of those Level 6 Chests I received a Diabolically Tattered Map (Level 7).

I dug up the level 7 Chest up and low and behold there was a coffin piece. Beginner's luck perhaps...

Cool - did you solo?

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 11:10:16 AM »
+1
Yeah I did all the chests solo including the Level 7. It wasn't that difficult really. I didn't die one time. Usually I'm impatient with stuff like this so I'll bring other accounts just for the purpose of speeding up the process. However I was bored and needed something to do. And I didn't want to interrupt my other accounts in their scripting activities. ;)

The level 7 was in Ter Mur so I came across an Enraged Rising Collusus which wasn't too difficult. Hopefully I'll get a Level 7 in Ishellnar so I can see what this Renegade Changeling is all about.

Does anyone know about any other special drop or oddities besides the coffin pieces?

Offline TarpanTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tarpan has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
+1
Congrats on the coffin piece! Was it perhaps the piece that I'm missing the item ID from?  :D Here's a full list of all the special items available:

A Creeping Vine
Message in a Bottle
Recipe
Scroll of Alacrity
0.5 Scroll of Transcendence
(only on Felucca for maps higher than Level 1)
Skeleton Key
Tasty Treat
Treasure Map (Same level or one level higher)

For Level 5 to 7:
Forged Pardon
Mana Phasing Orb
Runed Sash of Warding
Surge Shield
1 Minor Artifact (only Level 6 and 7)
1 Master Skeleton Key (only Level 7)
1 Coffin Piece (only Level 7)

Some of these I forgot to add the item IDs in the original post... work in progress, I say!

I'd compare the Renegade Changeling to a paragon Irk. I never ever ever ask for help on a map... but I had to ask for help to get these guys down. They retarget, hit like a truck against all 70s resists, and are unbardable. You CAN provoke the other spawn onto them, but they tear it up quickly and the barding difficulty felt like 160. You can't lure them off, if they get to a certain distance away they'll reset back to the chest. I ended up having to switch to my tamer and call in another guild mate on his tamer. We invised and let the dragons whittle them down.

I haven't done a level 7 other then the first one in Illishnar, because I didn't upgrade my account to High Seas until recently. Before then I just sold the maps, since you can't decode them without the booster pack. As a general rule I find Malas, Tokuno, Illish, and Ter Mur level 6s to be way easier to solo, so when I get Tram or Fel maps I trade them for maps from those facets. I can't handle the ancient wyrms from the Tram/Fel maps on my bard.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
+1
Bottom Coffin Piece (West Facing) MDL

I've been doing quite a bit of Treasure Hunting since you told me about the Coffin Pieces.

I've received 4 Coffin pieces and one disappeared on me when I placed it on the 2nd level floor of my keep. Weirdest thing I've had happen to me in game since losing a blessed Crimson.

It was the final piece, the middle Coffin piece facing west and when I dropped it on the floor it just vanished. Checked my backpack...nothing. Checked downstairs...nothing. Hit Ctrl-Shift and went through every item in my Keep....nothing. Logged on the 2nd Client and hit Ctrl-Shift....nothing. I think I spent almost an hour searching for the lost coffin piece to no avail.

Quite a let down as this would have given me one full coffin. Took the wind out of my sails. :-[

There are some graphics that don't show up on the EC Client but they do show up when you hit Ctr-Shift. Some of the rocks from Twaulo don't always appear and the corrupted Crystal portal graphics doesn't always appear either.

Anyways...I thought I had a full coffin! I'm bummed but I'll be back out there again with my Shovel and Map.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
+1
I ended up finding the 'lost coffin piece"....

I'm not sure how the hell this happened but it ended up getting dumped inside one of my containers on the first floor.

I was on the 2nd Floor of my keep attempting position the coffin piece when it went poof on me. A week or so later I find it in a wooden box on the first floor. Go figure...

I'm not complaining. I'm just glad I found it and all my work wasn't in vain.

After spending some considerable time Treasure Hunting the past two weeks I now have both full Coffins.

I'm having fun with it so I'm going to keep at it for awhile. :)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
+1
Congrats on putting together two whole coffins! I'm feeling a little burned out on treasure hunting at the moment so I haven't even gotten once piece yet. That's ok though, maps don't go bad!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
+1
I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but I'll put it here anyway. I got a good deal on some soulstones and was thinking about training up fishing to swap out with mining on my t-mapper. The only problem? My t-hunter is a bard. Is this a viable template for fishing? I think the idea is good enough to motivate me to change around my characters. The alternative would be making my t-hunter into a pure bard and using my unused character slot to make a mystic t-hunter with fishing on stone.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
+1
I'm not so sure that's a great fit. It can come in handy from time to time but most of the monsters you run into at sea are by themselves and there isn't anything around to Provoke onto them. Have you checked out TrailMyx's Fish Treasure Hunter the answer may have been discussed there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:48:27 PM by Ultima »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
+1
I skimmed it. There's an archer/tamer template mentioned but I already have one of those sans fishing, and another tamer besides and really don't want a third one... lol. The script itself appears to only use magery to kill the serpents, so I may try the bard with a reptile slayer spellbook.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
+1
Such overkill.  GM mage without a slayer spellbook works fine enough.  No fuss.  No need to worry about taming, archery, etc.  You can just soulstone just about anyone with fishing/mage and have an effective MIB hunter.   Just remember to have self repair armor.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
+1
Haha, thanks for the heads up. I guess I was overthinking things!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
+1
Haha, thanks for the heads up. I guess I was overthinking things!

Ya, the normal serpents are creampuffs at best.  The deep sea serpents have some bite, but even my 90ish magery/crappy armor guy was able to carve through them.  Just takes some time because with low mana it takes some extra time due to the healing.

If you had a snake slayer spellbook, you're good to go.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »
+1
I've finished up (well... almost) fishing as an alternate skill for my mapper, and it just makes me feel even more strongly that treasure hunting is the best profession in game. My first MIB hunt netted (har har) a ridiculous amount of gold, as well as a few more maps to toss into the heap.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
+1
I'm sneaking up on 2300 MIBs automatically fished up by my SOS autofarmer.  That is still one of the most annoying "Clickity-click" functions in UO.  Bleah..
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »
+1
very nice +1 rep from me.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: