• Reputation Power: 1
  • gabrielo has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: October 27, 2020, 11:59:34 PM »
Hello,

I’m Gabriel, I played UO from about 1998 to 2004 on and off, and have just jumped back into it :)

I appreciate the hard work that everyone here does, and I’m ok (ish) at script editing, but not too hot at writing them from scratch yet.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:57:30 PM »
A Very Warm Welcome!

Our only requirement to be part of this site is for new members to write a good and thoughtful introduction.

Before we will unrestrict you - you need to tell us a lot more!
Please greatly expand your introduction and tell us about yourself and your UO life.

Look at the stickied examples if you need insight.
I think you will find the effort required to write a four or five paragraphs will pay off with this community!

(Use a translator program if you feel you can not write in English.)

Offline gabrieloTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:51:04 PM »
Of course!  Well, my life in UO begun in 1998 when I was 17 years old.  My older brother had been playing it and when I went to stay with him for a weekend he introduced me to UO and he got me hooked!  At that time a 15" CRT monitor was the norm as was 56K dialup (more often it was 42Kbps where we lived), and also the calls were metered so extensive play time came with big phone bills!  The first time we had access to a leased line internet connection or ADSL was a game changer, quite literally.  Lag was common place as was lost connection (at an inopportune moment) when someone picked up the phone in another room.  We also got our other brother into it, so it was fun the 3 of us playing together while all living apart.  We played on and off until around 2004, before the Samurai Empire expansion came out.  I had move to a bigger city and had work to contend with, etc.

When I first started I was introduced to the city of Minoc, and spent many, MANY months as a grinder with mining (with a pack horse) and blacksmithing.  It took us a while to save up and find space for a small wood and plaster house, which we placed in the plains north of Minoc. There were, no scripts, no Tremmel/Felucia, I was PK'd in a mine more times than I care to remember, safety and the old housing system which required a key (and no insurance).  It was fun and I never really did dungeons or hunts for a year or so. 

As I trained up my characters, I added a mage and turned my miner into a swordsman, it was slow going.  Losing regs, runes, etc. (house key was always banked) and being a bit timid at the time was mainly soloing. We then found a hosing plot on the Arctic isle north of Deceit, which my brother found on a boat. Expansions like The Second Age came out, which I wasn't overly keen on at first.  As I say, I was a timid explorer and hadn't really mastered Britannia at that point.

I also started fishing to get the SoS bottles, which was another long and interesting adventure.  At this point I discovered some scripting tools, and they helped me avoid RSI in my mouse clicking finger (still dogs me today).  I also started Animal taming which was pretty good fun, mostly all levelled and trained the slow way. 

We all then stopped playing for a while, each expansion tempted me back in with the Age of Shadow and Mondain's Legacy and the improvements were interesting, if not a little complicated to get your head around.  While not being a huge PvP fan, the Tremmel/Felucia split seemed to detract from the game somehow, but a lot of people moved their housing to Tremmel, which opened up Felucia housing enough for us to eventually we find some space for a 2 story wood and plaster house (with a balcony) in the forrest west of Wind, it was great going with a sense of achievement.

I stopped playing completely just before the Samurai Empire expansion came out, and am actually not hugely enthusiastic about it now. I moved on to World of Warcraft briefly, although I missed the dynamics and economy of UO and didn't stick with it for long.  I eventually returned to the fold about a month ago when I had exhausted a lot of my lockdown entertainment and watched a documentary on Netflix about early games which featured some of the earlier Ultima games and shortly after read an article about 1990s games that were still being updated.  In said article UO came up and I was very surprised, I was also tempted back by the UO Forever free element just to check it out again, and it lasted all of 30 minutes before I paid to reactivate my account!  I have also convinced one of my brothers to join me again and we are back! 

There is a lot to take in and a huge amount to do in order to get our rather old character templated back up to speed, which is why forums and tools like this are invaluable, besides that RSI in my hand hasn't got much better in the last 20 odd years!

Anyway, I won't bore you anymore, that's my store so far.  I look forward to becoming a part of this useful and loyal community and enjoy being back in the world of Ultima.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 02:32:59 AM »
Awesome Introduction, thank you for your additions! Welcome to SUO - restricted status lifted - feel free to enjoy all the benefits of the site!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 06:07:39 AM »
WELCOME!

Offline gabrieloTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:47:12 PM »
Thank you, looking forward to contributing too.

Tags: