Author Topic: DropBox question  (Read 3515 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
DropBox question
« on: August 12, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »
Anyone out there use Dropbox regularly?  I've just started.  As part of an attempt to get more storage, I invited a bunch of dummy accounts I use for various things.  I logged in and accepted the invitations, then built dropbox accounts for those 'users'...but still no storage increase.  It's been about 12 hours.

What am I missing?

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.6%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: DropBox question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:55:14 AM »
Itried the same thing one time with zero increase. Maybee ip monitering? Try from another machine on a different netwok

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:59:50 AM »
Drat.  I was afraid of that.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:10:48 AM »
Humm, if you log on a different acct you still need to download Dropbox on each acct.  I am not sure if it is ip. Monitoring or simply that you need to follow all their steps including downloading their application each time

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »
I can give you the exact scoop because I'm a Dropbox fanatic! Here's the deal on invitations:
- Send out the invites to whoever (such as a dummy account)
- Log onto the dummy emails and accept the invites
- Then you MUST download and install Dropbox using the dummy email BUT you CANNOT install it on the same computer as any other invites. It actually uses the MAC address of the machine to check if it matches any of your other invites, so.....
- Install VirtualBox and a free linux distro of your choosing
- Launch the virtual machine
- Install and sign into drop box with the dummy email on the virtual machine
- You'll see your storage increase
- Now disconnect the dummy email from your virtual machine (If I remember correctly you can right-click on the Dropbox icon and choose to disconnect the Dropbox account from the computer)
- Shut down the virtual machine
- In the settings (in the Network section), refresh the MAC address so it generates a new one
- Repeat the steps above making sure to generate a new MAC address after each one and you can make out your referalls.

I currently have 16.4GB and I still haven't used all my referrals (they had promos where you could get 4+ GB for testing new DB features)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »
And dont change security to public else everyone can google your stuff ;)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
I can give you the exact scoop because I'm a Dropbox fanatic! Here's the deal on invitations:
- Send out the invites to whoever (such as a dummy account)
- Log onto the dummy emails and accept the invites
- Then you MUST download and install Dropbox using the dummy email BUT you CANNOT install it on the same computer as any other invites. It actually uses the MAC address of the machine to check if it matches any of your other invites, so.....
- Install VirtualBox and a free linux distro of your choosing
- Launch the virtual machine
- Install and sign into drop box with the dummy email on the virtual machine
- You'll see your storage increase
- Now disconnect the dummy email from your virtual machine (If I remember correctly you can right-click on the Dropbox icon and choose to disconnect the Dropbox account from the computer)
- Shut down the virtual machine
- In the settings (in the Network section), refresh the MAC address so it generates a new one
- Repeat the steps above making sure to generate a new MAC address after each one and you can make out your referalls.

I currently have 16.4GB and I still haven't used all my referrals (they had promos where you could get 4+ GB for testing new DB features)

Wow, thanks for that.  I should have realized Dropbox couldn't be fooled that easily.  Now I have yet another reason to set up VM.  Bleh, that's a lot of work.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
DB is my hero
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »
VirtualBox is actually quite easy to set up! Should take you no more than 15 mins to setup the VM, then another 10 to install linux, then you're up and running and it takes about 1-2 mins per referral! One hour and you're good to go! (Plus the time it takes to download a linux distro)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: