Author Topic: Fishing and Ancient SOS Bottles  (Read 7737 times)

Offline OracleTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Fishing and Ancient SOS Bottles
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
I have a renewed interest in doing Scalis and have been trying to farm the ASOS Bottles.  I have 2 Fishermen going for at least 6-8 hours at a time (One in Felucca and one in Trammel) and 99% of the time I don't get any ASOS or Colored Nets for that matter.  Has the drop rate changed?  Is there a better place to fish for the Mibs?  I used to get at least 1 ASOS for every 10-15 regular SOS Bottles I would find on the Sea Serpents.  Would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or pointers.  It just seems that I lost "the touch"!
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing and Ancient SOS Bottles
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »
No one has an opinion on this or an insight?  I heard that there may be a difference in drop rates if you have High Seas vs. not having High Seas?  Seems that non High Seas Acounts gets more bottles per hour since they are only fishing up 4 species of fish vs. High Seas fishing up more than 9...?

ORACLE

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
Heh, I can't participate because I never purchased High Seas.  Probably the first UO expansion I never bought.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
I get 1 ASOS for every 20-25 mibs

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
I am getting ~ 1 ASOS per 50 SOS's, but this is on a non high seas account.

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
It's not the bottle that's an ASOS right? It's what's inside that becomes ancient or regular SOS? So split them down the middle and start a trial account with out high seas and crack em open to see which one gives more. Or am I mistaken? You get an MIB and once you open it you get either a ASOS or a SOS? Right?

http://www.uoguide.com/Message_In_A_Bottle
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:49:59 PM by Xanderyum »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »
It's not the bottle that's an ASOS right? It's what's inside that becomes ancient or regular SOS? So split them down the middle and start a trial account with out high seas and crack em open to see which one gives more. Or am I mistaken? You get an MIB and once you open it you get either a ASOS or a SOS? Right?

http://www.uoguide.com/Message_In_A_Bottle

Correct!

1 in 25 Gimlet your one lucky SOB!

When I was doing heavy fishing. I mean 4 accounts 24/7 with the FAFer for months on end it was very random. I would go streaks of 0-100 and then like 8 out of 100.

Extremely inconsistent and RNG'd! Sure there's some algorithm in the code but it's all over the map as far as I'm concerned.

Just run the FAFer, turn pagan and pray to Poisedon!

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »
Just run the FAFer, turn pagan and pray to Poisedon!

Just about the only thing I haven't tried yet!  Thanks for the idea.. :D

I'm getting a miserable drop rate on ASOS's also.  About 1 out of 50-60 bottles. 

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »
I should add a method to the FaF to track the historic ASOS conversion rate so we can all get an understanding about the variability of the RNG.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »
I should add a method to the FaF to track the historic ASOS conversion rate so we can all get an understanding about the variability of the RNG.

I like that Idea so are you saying that you are done with it TM so that we can try it out? :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »
I like that Idea so are you saying that you are done with it TM so that we can try it out? :)

heh, well no.  But it's an easy add. ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies.  The drop rate for me seems to also be 1 out of every 50-60 MiBs fished up will open to be an ASOS.  Sometimes  it goes 1 for every 10 hours fishing. 

A good experiment might be to start 2 Fishermen out at the same time:  One High Seas and One Not and see which one pulls more ASOS Messages.  I am almost convinced that since you pull in all the extra types of fish and things that your drop rate is less if you have High Seas...

ORACLE

Offline formerlyrara

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • formerlyrara has no influence.
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
I run 2 120 fisherman on all facets, tramell, felucca, tok, using FAF a lot of the times, when i run them both i see a difference in the rates, usually 1 ancient out of 25 MIB. the other fisherman gets 1 out of 35 to 40 usually. I did get very lucky yesterday and pull 4 ancients in under 30 minutes, i was going WTF.. that was in t2a.

I can honestly say i am sitting on over 300 MIB right now and about 20 are ancient.

Tags: