Author Topic: newbie..  (Read 3252 times)

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
newbie..
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
Hello everybody. New to the boards, just was pointed here by my friend Ultima last night. I have been playing UO since the game first came out. I played on the Pacific shard, and then switched to the Sonoma shard when it opened (less lag for me at the time) I played for almost 7 straight years, then took the last 3 off. I just came back and what a change in the game there is now. All new skills, skills needing other skills to work, new lands...etc etc.

I started off with the old chars I had, many of which were GM's...then I find out that now you can have many skills set to 120, and at 100 your a total whimp LOL! I met Ultima ingame and he gave me some learnin...I started rebuilding some of my guys, and using (what ARE those things..soulstones and soulstone frags to store some of my skills, and change my chars around some). The I started the drudge work of building my chars up to 120 skills..the ones I thought I needed...like smithy, and tailor, and such. It didnt take long until my hands were hurting so bad, and twitching at night that I could hardly stand it. Again, I talked to Ultima, and he pointed me here. I had never used a script before, nor had I heard of uox, so I decided to try it.

How nice to be able to have 2 (or more) accts open at once...and better yet, how great it is to train while I sit here and read a book, or play with my dog. My wife even knows what I look like again cuz I am not stuck down in my dark den clicking away for hours to gain .1 skill point!!!!

Only last night did I even find out what a whammy or sampire was LOL, I guess I been in the dark to long...Now I am embarked in making myself one (whammy that is) thanks to reading all of the great posts here.

I hope many of you old salts will bear with me and all of my stupid questions cuz I am sure I will have many...in trying to rebuild my guys and make em better then they obviously are. I thank you all in advance for your patience with me, and hope to be able to contribute some myself while I am here! I do know a lot about the "old game" when it started, but I have NO CLUE about the "new game" as it stands now...but I promise...I learn fast!

Thank You

Toptwo
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: newbie..
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
Officially nominated as "Best Intro 2009".

Welcome aboard.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
Welcome Toptwo!

Glad your at that point where your ready to enjoy scripting aspects of the game. It adds so much fun to the game testing and playing around with the scripts and how amazing it is to see what scripts can do. To me it's 1/2 the gaming experience. I usually have 2 accounts doing something 24/7 in UO via scripts.

There's all kind of good information and interesting stuff here at SUO. Take your time and look around and don't be shy about asking questions.

See you in the Glade my friend!

Cheers!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »
Officially nominated as "Best Intro 2009".

Welcome aboard.

Well he definitely comes out in the Toptwo anyhow!! "Bahdum-tsh"!

Thanks for putting some effort into an intro. Good to meetcha and welcome to SUO.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
Thank you for the kind words guys. Yes, there is TONS of stuff here to read and go over, will take me days to read it all.....thank goodness I can take the time to read it, and still train my guys at the same time!!!! Thanks so much for pointing me here Ultima...guess u could have before now, but wanted to take some time to get to know me ingame first, makes a LOT of sense considering how much is here and how many squeelers there are ingame!

Its sure nice that with the scripts here and the others I have used from uox and with there being such things as soulstones now you really can mess around with your guys and see what you might really want to play!!!

When I came back, and found out my GM smithy was a joke I bought a scroll and started training him to 120. It only took me a couple of days to get there but the amount of clicking I did was CRAZY!!! Of course, after I get him all done THEN I find out there was such a thing as a recycling bag..crap..could have saved half the clicking!!!!.....go ahead...laugh now everybody...cuz I promise you that you will have plenty of opportunity to laugh at me more as I learn about all the new stuff!!

Anyway...I will continue reading, and continue posting (just to give everybody something to laugh about) gotta make SOMEBODYS day...at least now I have seen the light about training, but I am sure there will be a LOT of other mistakes I make while getting my acct's in order....but hell, thats half the fun...right????

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »
Any friend of Ultima is a friend here.  Welcome!

If you're among the Toptwo, you should also bring the other one that rounds up the top two!  We'll make you duel to see who's the Topone!  :)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
Thank you Trail!!!

Yeah, Ultima is a pretty cool guy. I first met him taming cu's, we butted heads a bit thinking each other was stealing the others cu, but sometimes things have a way of working out and he has become my friend. He has helped me a lot, and tought me a lot about the "new" game since I have come back...so much new stuff to learn!!!

As far as the "top one" goes...well, thats easy...its me...unless of course my wife is around (she isnt right now) then I am the "top two" *sigh*

When I played before I resisted using any type of script...thought I was "better" then that, and I would do everything myself...how foolish I was.
when I think of all the time I wasted spending hours grinding away at the keyboard to make my chars seems kinda foolish now. I am NOT getting any younger (am prolly the oldest person on your board LOL) now I would rather spend my time making and experimenting with new chars. I had about 50 hours in trying to get provo/disco to 120 before I complained to Ultima about it, I guess he finally felt the time was right and I could "learn" about scripts...guess what..within a couple nights of fitfull sleep I was a Legendary bard. I coulda done that days earlier and actually been out playing him!!

Live and Learn!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »
Hmm, I dunno.  I think Cerveza has to take his teeth out when he sleeps, Gimlet I know actually has met Jesus, and I'm definitely in the 40-something crowd.  ;)  So if you're starting to get AARP enrolment information in the mail, you're not the only one.  This is definitely a no hip-hop zone.  heh.  Except for Sir Mix-a-lot; I like big butts too and I appreciate his views on the subject.

But playing UO is great.  The first time you create a character, it's full of wonder.  The second time, it's just as fun because you can correct the mistakes from your first character.  However, when you've made literally 100s of characters, you really start wanting to have alternatives that'll make the life of a veteran player easier.  That's what most of the scripts here are meant for.  There's a lot of tediousness in the game, so we're here to help the veteran alleviate that monotony. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
Starting to get AARP enrollment info??? hell, I been a member for over a year!

Thanks again, I cant wait to get into the scripts and see how much I have missed!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
I'm always glad to find other "over thirty's" playing this game, somehow it helps me justify all of the obsessive hours I've spent playing it myself.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Tags: