Author Topic: New Char, New Shard, an Essay.  (Read 25010 times)

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
New Char, New Shard, an Essay.
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
+1
 After doing some easy research on FindUO I see that Atlantic has more stuff and better prices on most things. Certianly better then I can get on Sonoma (my home shard) Seems anymore there is rarely anything good for sale on Sonoma..and the prices are killer. I said this in another post, but will say it again here...on Sonoma a Full soulstone sells for 25M, on Atlantic I have seen them for 8M. Plus, with all the players Atlantic has there is just overall a LOT more, and Better things to buy.

I could Xfer over one of my guys from Sonoma, with 100M in his pocket and buy a lot up, and bring it back...and even with the price of Xfer tokens possibly make a buck or two...but hey, thats the easy way. Instead I decided to make some new chars there, farm my gold there, buy the stuff I want, and Xfer it back to Sonoma...Its the long hard way to do this, but, since I was getting a little board at times with UO this seemed like a great way to spice things up. Make NEW guys, train em up on a shard where I had nothing (well, something but I will get to that in a min) and generally see what it was like to play a different shard for awhile..a crowded shard.

So in doing this, I decided I might write a little essay, one that I could add to each day, and ppl could see (and give input) to how/what I was doing. You all know that I left the game for a long time, and my way of training/doing things might still be the hard way....and...if anybody else wants to do something like this they can learn from my mistakes, or my success's. Ok..here we go.

Started this char on 6-17 approx 1pm. I started by asking in the shout box if anybody had any presance on Atlantic. 12TimesOver did, so he and I traded 5M gold on Sonoma for 5M gold on Atlantic (told you I didnt start completly emptyhanded) Thanks 12X!!!

My first char will be a gold farming Whammy..I figured I could farm gold (Miasma) and Silver (after I faction up) Silver sells well on ANY shard, and whacking miasma can make pretty good gold, with the chance of marty drops that still sell!

Char Starting Skills:                              
50 Necro (and thats locked now)
49 Chiv (will take it to 85)
 1 Bushido (to get bushido book)

50 Str
10 Dex
20 Int

Char skills when finished: Or until I can afford better scrolls:

120 Swords
115 Bushido
115 Parry
115 Tactics
100 Spirit Speak
85 Chiv
50 Necro

This is only a 700 total, so I might add +20 to Necro for now, or wait til I can afford 120 scrolls in Bushido, Parry, and Tactics.

The first thing I did was to buy my scrolls. Buying 120 Scrolls would have taken more gold then I started with so I settled on 115's (except for one), so here is what I have spent so far:

Scroll of Power +20      1,000,000
120 scroll of Swords         475,000
115 Scroll of Bushido        70,000
115 scroll of Parry            55,000
115 scroll of Tactics        425,000
 SoulSeeker                   175,000
 Boat                             10,000
----------------------------------
total:                        2,210,000

The swords scroll was a steal as they sell for 4.75M and UP on Atlantic, this one wasn't even listed on FindUO yet or it would have been gone, the player obviously mis-priced it leaving off a 0 when he put it on his vendor tough for him, YAY for me. I also spent about 1500gp training up my skills as far as I could with NPC's   

I bought the boat because I do not have a house on Atlantic, nor will I (even if there is space) It would mean I would have to pull one of my Sonoma houses up and I don't want to do that. The boat will be used for some storage, but I mainly bought it to macro my skill on...I figure I will be harder to find at sea, then sitting in some town someplace macroing away.

Currently I am sitting on my boat macroing Spirit Speak, I have Int set to raise (for now) and str, and dex locked. I want to raise Int for now so I can have more mana for working on Bushido and Chiv, once those are raised up I will turn Int dow, and start gaining Str and Dex.

Thats it for now, I will add more to this as skills start to go up, and I start training new things.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:40:33 PM by Toptwo »
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline mcscooter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mcscooter has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Char, New Shard, an Essay.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
+1
I eat this kind of stuff up.  Love the idea.  Please keep updating this.  As a returning player, it is taking a long time to figure out the best way to do things in what is now a very different game.  Most of these forums assume a great deal of background knowledge, and EA have done a stunning job of making an incredibly complicated game with almost no official documentation.  Looking forward to future posts.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:31:14 AM »
+1
Should change the name of your thread to something like "TopTwo's Starting Anew Blog" :)

Glad to help TT, I owed ya one anyhow.

One of my favorite things to do in UO has always been to start on a new shard where I don't know a soul or have anything but some newb chars and start building my legacy. It used to be easy to make some quick coin buying/selling to/from NPC's but that is all but destroyed now although at times there is still a few k of startup selling bandies to at least get initial skill training money. Another thing I used to do is start temp chars with 49 inscription and quickly get an Undead Slayer spellbook that would sell for 500k+ (sold one for 1.2 mills once). Not sure how that would go nowadays either.

Inscription is another decent way to make gold while training. Hell, even just scribing and selling recall scrolls can get you far because a lot of people don't realize that you can buy them from an NPC cheaper than the going player vendor rate on Atlantic. I used to sell mass amounts of EV scrolls too.

Right out of the gate if I need to build quick $$ on a new shard I start mining. I've never had trouble unloading 60k of iron for 900k+ on just about any shard and that is roughly a one-day haul even with a newbie character. Maybe something to think about with one of your secondary accounts or a temp account while you're building up your Samp.

Anyhow, Atlantic was my first home; planted my first piece of real estate in the desert southwest of Umbra during the AOS launch. I have about 9 or so characters there and a lot of basic crap stuffing the bankboxes. Let me know if you need something and I can see what I have packed away.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »
+1
- Moved to where it belongs, and stickied so it stays there -
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:41:04 AM »
+1
Thanks Cerveza, wasn't sure where to put this :)

Ok...going to catch this up some, let everybody know where I am at so far. I took some time off in the last few days for ToT, and was using all my accts to do some farming...I now have this acct back to training.

Used Guadah's Multi-Skill Trainer (Super Bob!).. to train Spirit Speak up to 100, I am SURE there are better scripts out there then this one for SS though, the one thing I noticed with Super Bob is the longer you run the script, the slower it goes...I even went in and adjusted the wait time in SS to 2 (its set at 5) Char starts real fast, and after an hour its like the delay is at 20, so slows WAY down. I didn't realize this until I woke up the first morning of training and had only gained like 4.5 skill, then I watched it and it took it forever between attempts, I could lock a key down and be MUCH faster.

Took 6-19 and  6-20 off from training to use all accts for farming ToT's

Started Training Bushido yesterday afternoon, 6-21. My starting skill was 49. I again went to the shout box, this time KilroyisDead was on and answerd my plea for help..Thanks Kilroy!! I borrowed a LMC/MR set of gear from him in Luna, and recalled back to my boat (not before Kilroy called me a Pollack for the way I was dressed) I used VicVega's script to train up to 65 skill, then switched back to Super Bob and started lightning striking my fine ride that I bought for 507 gold. Skill currently is at 100.2 on its way to 115. I should hit that sometime today, and will switch to VicVega's script to train Chiv up to 85.

Once that is done, I will head out into the world to manually raise Parry (in Yew on Sheep) then off to manually raise swords enough to be able to switch over to a Golem...I will keep you posted as to when Bushido, and Chiv are at where I want them to be and am heading out :)
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »
+1
Thx for the update.  U r motivating me to start a new char on atl or gl.  Will follow ur example and see how i do. I do have some gold on atl with some newb chars.
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »
+1
Update:

Ok, been on and off training, could have trained much faster if they had not of started ToT just as I started this char...but here is my next update.

6-21/6-22 trained up Bushido to 115 and locked it, also trained up Chiv to 85, locked. This morning I started on Parry. I got myself 20 daggers, and shopped FindUO for some armor. I spent 88k patching together an all 70's leather suit from the vendors in Luna. Off I went to the Yew sheep pens. It didnt take me to long before I realized that I was going to have a problem...so.....

I created a "support char" on another account. I started this char with 50 Blacksmith, and 50 Tailor. I bought up Magery as far as I could, then Used Super Bob to train it up to 50 real fast. I then took this char down to the Sheep pens to help. With this char I could heal my whammy as she trained up parry, PLUS I could repair her 88K worth of new armor as she trained.

It took 3.5 hours to train Parry from 23.9 to 115 and lock it.   Also during this time I turned Int down, and dex up (dex was only 10 and int was 125) Dex moved up fairly consistantly until I hit 100 parry..from there it FLEW, so anybody doing this keep a close eye on dex when you hit 100 parry as you can easily go past your target cap..I was seeing 2 dex points a sec going up after 100 skill. So, current skills are:

Bushido   115
Parry      115
SS         100
Chiv         85
Necro       50

Swords     24
Tactics     24

Current Stats are:
Str 120
dex 100
int 30

I will start training swords and tactics off and on starting this evening, along with farming ToT's on Sonoma off and on. As soon as I can get swords high enough to kill orcs I will head for Tokuno to do some farming on Atlantic.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:31:05 AM by Toptwo »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
+1
I know you didn't have one at your disposal being new on Atlantic but for any future readers wanting to train Parry a Darkwood Bloodwood suit in tandem with a Bracelet of Health makes for a very good suit when training Parry in the Yew Pens because of the high HPR. Also those Darkwood suits rarely lose any durability which is an added bonus because durability can be an issue when training on them der sheep.

I recently equiped a Darkwood Bloodwood Suit because the wear and tear of farming Treasures in Tokuno was taking it's toll on my faction gear. I'm a big fan of Darkwood Armor (Bloodwood and Heartwood that is) and they make for a very good back up suit. :)

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »
+1
Update:

Well, I haven't really played this char a LOT since I been trying for my Mempo on sonoma. I finally got tired of that and decided to work on her some more in the last few days. Here is whats been going on...

I took her out to Tokuno with her 24 swords/24 tactics and started training on lizard men. I trained swords up to 50, but tactics were stuck around 30 I wasn't gaining at all. I figured that Liz men must be to high for me to really train on..so off I went to the Tok desert. I started training on Death Watch Beatles, and hatchlings...things started flying from there!!! Anybody starting a new char and wanting to train swords/tactics up fast should head for these little guys! In less then 6 hours of farming ToT's with them I was up to 92 swords, and 90 tactics.

I then spent about 8 hours training with a golem. The golem was given to me and I spent 100k on a 100% poison weapon. Skills at the end of training were Swords: 110.2 and tactics 109.4 I have been spending about 6-8 hours a day for the last 3 days farming orcs in Tok for the ToT's. Thanks to _C2_'s Farm-o-Matic script (Its GREAT to be Elite!) this is very easy to do! I have also managed to turn in some items, and now have a rune beatle carapace, and Stormgrip, so I have a little better armor, and it was "free". I have also managed to sell all of my tokuno dyes for a little over 9 Million gp. So, started with 5 Mil, spent about 3 Mil, and now have 11Mil..so am already making a profit!!! So far today I have collected 6 more dyes that should sell for about 4 Mil. Plus I have enough drops for another turn in. Swords and tactics are still going up just by killing orcs, but VERY slow...current skills are: Swords, 111.3/Tactics 110.2. Will update again soon and let you know how the training/gold status is going.

Offline mcscooter

• Activity:
    0%
  • mcscooter has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 04:25:30 AM »
+1
I'm impressed with how quickly you raised up these skills.  It seemed to take much longer on my warrior, although it's one of the few chars that I basically didn't macro unattended.  

Still very much enjoying this thread, by the way.  

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 05:04:37 AM »
+1
(Its GREAT to be Elite!)

I just thought this was worth repeating  ::)

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Petkiller

• Activity:
    0%
  • Petkiller has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
+1
I play on Atlantic all the time, since the tot thing I been doing the tokuno champ almost every night.  I play my necro mage Jack Black or my tamer Petkiller in UWF.  If I can help you just find me at the tokuno champ or any UWF can get a hold of me in guild chat.

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:05:56 AM »
+1
Update:

Well, here it is 7-8, and she is finished!!! I have worked her off and on for the last few days in Tokuno. I switched from using Farm-O-Matic on orcs, and moved to doing Dread spiders, and Tsuki wolfs. I had to manually work some of this but have managed in just a few days of lpaying to get her Tactics to 115, and just yesterday got her swords to 120! Took her to Miasma for a little test and she smoked him!!

I factioned her up 2 days ago, so now she is wearing the much better gear. I still need some jewls to assist, but will pick those up as I find them. Currently her stats/skills/gear look like this:

Stats:

Str 120
Dex 100
Int 30

Skills:

Swords - 120
Bushido - 115
Tactics - 115        This totals 700 so I am going to bring chiv up to 100
Parry - 115            Until/if I am ready to spend the gold on 120 for Tact
SS    - 100             Bushido, and Parry.
Chiv - 85
Necro - 50

Gear:

Faction: Heart of the Lion
Faction: Fey Leggings
Faction: Mace and Shields
Faction: Primer on arms
Faction: Crimson Cincture
Faction: Morph Earrings
Barbed Leather Sleeves
Barbed Leather Gorget
Ring: Necro +12/ DCI 15/ DI 8
Bracelet: DI 21
Soul Seeker (Cuz Ultima Says So!!)

Along the way to getting 120 Swords I have been able to pick up enough ToT stuff (and sell it) that I have turned my original starting stake from the 5 Mil traded to me by XII into 22 Mil, and this AFTER I geared up another char with a +20 power scroll, and placed a 9-14 three story house in Tram. AND Bought all the scrolls/weapons/armor for my original Whammy! So I figure I have already made over 25Mil since I started.

Started a new char yesterday 7-7. Started him with 50Magery/50 Mining (Ingots always sell good) I bought him a LRC suit and full spellbook and used Super Bob to train magery up until he could reliably cast recall. This char will end up being:

100 Mining
100 Lumberjack
100 Carp
100 Tinker
100 Boyer
100 Meditate
100 Magery

Currently I am using Mwinc Lumberjacker and am chopping my ass off. Started with 0 skill, and it is 90 now. I will leave him chopping for a few days until he has a large supply of boards, and then will use ScriptUO Heartwood Questor v2.0 (again, its GREAT to be Elite!!!) This will allow me to not only build up my bowcrafting...but to get some of thos elusive Heartwood Fletchers kits that sell for 12-14M a pop on Atlantic...nothing like being able to farm Miasma for the gold and occasional nice item (that sells for a lot on Atl) and doing Heartwood at the same time!!

I will continue to use my whammy to farm for ToT's until the event ends looking for the elusive Luck Mempo (sells for 18M here) then switch to Miasma, or something else. I will update again soon and let you know how things are going!

Offline KilroyIsDead

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • KilroyIsDead has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »
+1
TT, I have a large collection of HCI/DCI rings/bracs from heartwood questor all 13+
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm the rest of the night;
Set a man afire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 05:53:51 AM »
+1
Update 7-16:

well, here is the current update. As ytou know the whammy is finished with the exception of raising chiv to 100. I am raising that as I use it rather then script it up..I cast everything reliably so just havent bothered running a training script on her. As I stated in may last update she is only doing ToT atm, and will continue until event ends. Paulonius was nice enought to offer, and I accepted a vendor spot for her at his vendor house right outside Luna. I have already sold out of one load of ToT dyes for almost 4 mil, and am trying to farm more to reload it. After reading his great post on becoming a UO merchant I will try to determine what might sell well for me, and go after it.

My support Char is coming along GREAT: Currenlty sitting like this:

125 str
115 Int
 10 dex

Mining    100
Magery   100
Med       100
LJack     100
Boyer     100
Tinker      76
Carpentry  0.0

I think I will be dropping Med for Blacksmith on this char, that way I will have 1 char that will be able to do ALL the Hwood quests. Plus have enought mager to be able to cast a decent MindBlast while out mining/jacking to protect himself. I have already used this char to scritp Hwood Fletchers kits, no Heratwood so far, but at least 2 of every other runic fletchers, so I have a few more items to put on my vendor. He did make GM bowcraft/fletching all from doing the bow and xbow quests while looking for runics.

One other consdieration for this char would be to drop Med, and put those points into a three way split between Carpentry/Blacksmith/Tailor. That would give me approx 75skill in each, more then enought to be able to repair my whammy's gear, and also enough to be able to do every quest in heartwood all on the same char. Since I am here to make me some gold to buy stuff to take back to Sonoma, making 100 or 120 in skills on a support char isn't the most important thing....any thoughts on this guys/gals?

On a side not, I will pretty much only be playing these chars today and tomorrow. On Sat my 80 year old Father is coming to vist and go fishing with my wife and myself, so I wont be online much for those 5 days. I most likely will only set a script to mine or jack for those days and gather as many resources as possible.

I will update again soon!

Tags: